Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Following a program for Dublin Marathon at end of October. It will be my second (and last according to Mrs EP) and have managed longest run of 17 miles so far. Now convinced myself it's beyond me to run the full distance, and the memories of when things went wrong at Brighton 2015 when I lost the plot at about 19 miles, are occupying my mind. Any tips for diet (have lost ten pounds so far since started the program), accessories, gear etc? Need a kick up the arse and not sure how to do it.
10a16d76b240a3943360e9c1dfa29a93.jpg

Hills last night was a good minute per mile behind my fellow runners.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Following a program for Dublin Marathon at end of October. It will be my second (and last according to Mrs EP) and have managed longest run of 17 miles so far. Now convinced myself it's beyond me to run the full distance, and the memories of when things went wrong at Brighton 2015 when I lost the plot at about 19 miles, are occupying my mind. Any tips for diet (have lost ten pounds so far since started the program), accessories, gear etc? Need a kick up the arse and not sure how to do it.

It's certainly not beyond you because you've done it before. 17 miles was the longest run I did before Brighton. There are a lot of plans out there that cap your long training run at 18 miles / 3 hours and mine was written by the coach that oh-so-nearly got me in under 4 hours. Focus on the positive but also make a list of where you think you can improve from last time. That's certainly going to be how I tackle Brighton 2017.

Diet wise in the couple of months before mine I cut right down on red meat, upped fish and chicken and kept my carbs about normal. If I wanted a snack (and I was hungry all the time) I only allowed myself a banana or plain unsalted nuts. I then cut back on carbs two weeks before and started to gradually load them up the following week as the race approached. I got some good diet advice from [MENTION=13251]Lord Bamber[/MENTION] which I'll try and dig out for you if you want but I know there are others on here who think carb loading is a load of bollox so up to you.

Meanwhile my knee is mashed. Properly mashed. Icing and stretching is having no effect at all and I could hardly get out of bed this morning,. May be physio time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Early signs of maranoia. Positive thoughts needed. You're doing well.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Given we've touched on the subject of mental health and using running as a way of helping I thought this may be of interest....

If you or anyone you know is dealing with mental health issues and would like to start running/return to running or be supported to continue please read/and share the information below. You don't have to have an official diagnosis but feel you are dealing with such an issue. This course is free and in Brighton. This group is part of the Mental Health Ambassador programme jointly run by Run England and Mind for more info:http://www.englandathletics.org/clubs--community/mental-health-charter/mental-health-ambassadors
and you can join in a wider debate on Twitter #runandtalk

image.jpeg

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've read double run days are recommended by many articles and top runners, I suppose it's very much dependent on your recovery times and the pace and mileage of each run.

On the downside you could easily fall into the trap of junk miles so you will need to plan to ensure each run has a purpose.

I ran 6.5 miles last night longest for a few weeks and can certainly feel the effects today. I'll see how I feel later this week but have the option of a Park Run Saturday or a place in the Littlehampton 10k.

That's my concern to be honest, just running miles for the sake of it without adding any value. But I'm conscious that my strongest marathon was my first, and the build up to that was purely milage. I wonder if maybe I should be trying to get back into running distances, ramp up the milage and then really taper down pre-race. It's a balancing act. I'm thinking that after taking this weekend relatively off (I'm staying in Liverpool on sunday night so there might be a free day pass gym I can exploit for a session), I'll get running distances from monday, unless it's killing my calf or means I can't properly do the sessions in the training plan.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Jesus is too busy saving. Radius at the County Ground booked for tomorrow. Ice packs having no effect whatsoever which is worrying.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave

You know you can do it. Find a nice pretty young lady to run behind for several miles, takes you mind off the actual running! I have every belief that you can do it. Diet, I cut down on bread and like #Guinness Boy cut out red meat and basically ate chicken. I also drastically virtually cut out alcohol. I am not so sure you can achieve that ;-). My final advice (which you dont need) is on the race day just cut the race into sections, in Reykjavik I did it in 5km sections as no mile markers and I actually prefered doing it into kms as you eat them up faster and the 42kms soon start to come down. This time round I also kept myself more hydrated, at 3 water stops I virtually stopped to ensure I took on enough water/power aid. Worked for me.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I have lost track on who is running which races coming up.

I have now signed up for
25th September - East Grinstead 10k
23rd October - Great South Run 10 miles (Southsea and Portsmouth)
19th November - Windsor and Eaton Half Marathon
26th February - Brighton Half Marathon
19th March - Cyprus (Limassol) Marathon

I also have a place in the Brighton Marathon on the 9th April but not sure if I will do that as now booked up Cyprus (36 euros entry fee and got return flight with Easyjet for £86)
I am also in the ballot for London but expecting the usual NO from that one.

I really do have the obsessive running bug at the moment. Will look to possibly do some others between now and the Marathon in March. Any recommendations?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If anyone wants to run the Robin Hood half marathon in Nottingham Sunday 25 September for FREE just drop me a line. I have already entered but something else has cropped up. I can post you out my race number. Ran it last year and a great race around the city.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
No running for me for quite a while.

Chris at Radius diagnosed a problem with my quadraceps tendon. Severe and reactive. I have a very small stretch to do, must go back to ice packs and must rest almost totally for a couple of days. Slight issue as I sit at the top of the WSU but, as of now, could neither manage the stairs nor sitting down for 90 minutes. Can only bend the knee 80 degrees and can't take much weight on it. Arse.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Chris at Radius diagnosed a problem with my quadraceps tendon. Severe and reactive. I have a very small stretch to do, must go back to ice packs and must rest almost totally for a couple of days. Slight issue as I sit at the top of the WSU but, as of now, could neither manage the stairs nor sitting down for 90 minutes. Can only bend the knee 80 degrees and can't take much weight on it. Arse.

As someone also under the cloud of injury, I'm sorry to hear that as I know how bloody frustrating it is.

I've yet to see your man Paul about my knee, but I'll try and get that sorted next week. I went for a bike ride over the Downs yesterday and, when I came back, I thought I'd take a very short and slow plod on grass to see how my knee felt. Well within a mile I knew I should stop so I did. Really missing running right now.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Ouch! Good luck with the recovery.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
As someone also under the cloud of injury, I'm sorry to hear that as I know how bloody frustrating it is.

I've yet to see your man Paul about my knee, but I'll try and get that sorted next week. I went for a bike ride over the Downs yesterday and, when I came back, I thought I'd take a very short and slow plod on grass to see how my knee felt. Well within a mile I knew I should stop so I did. Really missing running right now.

Injury sucks. That said I'd take another week off running if I could go tomorrow but can't see how I'd make the journey at the moment. Even if I could swap to a seat downstairs with leg room I can't drive or walk more that 100 yards!! Let's hope the ultrasound, ice packs and bottle of red I'm already eyeing up form some kind of miracle cure.

Ouch! Good luck with the recovery.

Cheers!

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hi all, just finished my 1st ever park run on Hove Prom, 21:21, so well chuffed and now of course the goal is to go sub 20. Thought the event was excellent and a real good vibe, and luckily the wind was south to north so no particularly hard stretch on the course. My question to you fellow runners, is how does it compare to Hove Park and what is your preference, obviously Hove Park is more hilly, but with the ups you get the downs, and I guess the park is more protected from the wind, just interested in your preference if you have done both. Cheers in advance.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Sounds grim as does Guinness Boy. Anyone whose been crocked will share your pain (not literally). I'm just about staying on the right side of that very thin line that divides the injured from the 'still running but suffering'. So I did a slowish (22:22) Worthing PR today (it was pretty windy) and am happy with that.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well done. There are quite a few Hove Park hard core loyalists on this thread but my own take on the comparison between the two you mention is that Hove Prom is faster if there's no wind. My PB (20:20) was there so perhaps I'm biased. But they are both very good courses. (Worthing is similar to Hove Prom but there only one turn, so in theory should be quicker.)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here