Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion U-16 goalkeeper Tom McGill playing for England - live coverage on ussoccer.com

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I know I'm being a bit woolly here, but isn't there something a little disturbing about all of this:-

- International under 16/17 match.
- In America.
- Televised.

It all rather smacks of too much too soon.

I remember back in the late seventies one of the ONLY live matches you could watch on TV (3 channels back then) during the course of the season was a schoolboy international or two shown from Wembley (or maybe Hampden Park) at the end of the season.

Was that too much too soon? Is that why Kenny Sansom ended up on a park bench?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Well I for one, and it looks like many others, are extremely grateful for your data-holism I find your updates and insights really interesting and make me question how much there is online about me out there...

Why do you think the club has become more secretive? Is it the quality of the players having improved and therefore some bizarre attempt to hide them from preying clubs, a general lack of comms or something else entirely? If I remember the club match day programme used to report on youth games does it still do that or does being in Arizona make that irrelevant to you as a source?

The club do still provide match reports online for all U-18 and U-21 matches, and I applaud them for it. But, aside from VERY limited biographical details of the U-21 squad (which is out-of-date, as it still shows the likes of Dallison, Harris and Monakana on loans that finished months ago), there seems to be a complete vacuum of any other information about the academy players. And it's not as though most of that info is confidential; the Head of Academy Player Recruitment, who has nearly 3,000 twitter followers, regularly tweets stuff and he was even posting on the comments on the youtube page screening the match live last night. Why didn't the club publicise McGill's involvement in the squad? Why didn't they mention you could watch the game? Would any Albion fans have known, if they didn't see this thread?

I don't understand it.

Anyway, if anyone wants to keep abreast of the academy players, keep track of my twitter account

<--------------------

and bookmark the NSC page in my signature that lists contract and loan details of the entire squad.

Dec 29, 2011
Yeah I get all of that, as said I know I'm being very namby-pamby.
But contrary to what Sky would have us believe, football isn't more important than life or death.
Therefore having a child's career over before they are old enough to drink, is what's troubling me.

:sigh: I guess I'm just old :down:

I was thinking the same. Aren't the lads 15? Which means their in their final year of GCSEs... And they're jetting off to America during term time. Hardly gives the impression school is more important than football.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I was thinking the same. Aren't the lads 15? Which means their in their final year of GCSEs... And they're jetting off to America during term time. Hardly gives the impression school is more important than football.

At that age aren't they all schooled by the clubs? I know a guy whos son is being scouted by Chelsea and they have already said that they will take over the education.

With that in mind they can probably have these times off but will be catching up on the schooling. These tournaments have been going on a while I think and you will still get a fair few lads getting degrees (pretty sure there was a kid at the weekend that was about to pick up his first?)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I know I'm being a bit woolly here, but isn't there something a little disturbing about all of this:-

- International under 16/17 match.
- In America.
- Televised.

It all rather smacks of too much too soon.

Becker won Wimbledon @ 17 & was on telly every other day....

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
At that age aren't they all schooled by the clubs? I know a guy whos son is being scouted by Chelsea and they have already said that they will take over the education.

With that in mind they can probably have these times off but will be catching up on the schooling. These tournaments have been going on a while I think and you will still get a fair few lads getting degrees (pretty sure there was a kid at the weekend that was about to pick up his first?)

Been happening at Brighton pre-Lancing, so for a few years now.

Probably start to have a few days out of their school to the education suites within the Amex at 14 years old.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
McGill is a sub for tonight's match against Brazil. Kick-off in 3 minutes:-

[TWEET]672864724107853825[/TWEET]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I remember back in the late seventies one of the ONLY live matches you could watch on TV (3 channels back then) during the course of the season was a schoolboy international or two shown from Wembley (or maybe Hampden Park) at the end of the season.

Was that too much too soon? Is that why Kenny Sansom ended up on a park bench?
I was at Wembley watching England with Gary Shaw (the only player I remember) take on Scotchland.
I was with my cub pack, along with thousands of other cub, et al, yoof groups.

That seems a far cry from an international series in America, broadcast to the world, during term time.
Sadly, as it's a pretty low benchmark for decency, the only saving grace seems to be I can't bet on the match, although I can't even guarantee that.

But as said maybe I'm just old and out of step with the 21st century.
This wouldn't be the first time.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I was at Wembley watching England with Gary Shaw (the only player I remember) take on Scotchland.
I was with my cub pack, along with thousands of other cub, et al, yoof groups.

That seems a far cry from an international series in America, broadcast to the world, during term time.
Sadly, as it's a pretty low benchmark for decency, the only saving grace seems to be I can't bet on the match, although I can't even guarantee that.

But as said maybe I'm just old and out of step with the 21st century.
This wouldn't be the first time.

Those schoolboy internationals would have been watched by hundreds of thousands on nationwide TV, I'm guessing. Right now, there are 692 watching the youtube stream of England v Brazil. Whilst there are many things you SHOULD be disturbed by, I really don't think this is one.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
McGill played the second half for England U16s against the Netherlands yesterday, keeping a clean sheet as the match finished 2-2, and in so doing helped England win the Nike International friendlies tournament. He is on the extreme right (number 1):-

McGillEngU16.jpg

Dec 29, 2011
We seem to have lots of talent on our books in the GK position, this guy, Sanchez, Walton, the Irish keeper. When was the last time we brought a keeper through our youth team who played professional football for most of his career?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
We seem to have lots of talent on our books in the GK position, this guy, Sanchez, Walton, the Irish keeper. When was the last time we brought a keeper through our youth team who played professional football for most of his career?

John Sullivan, though he case to retire from the game quite early (and is now an estate agent in Vegas!)
Mitch Walker, though not at a high level

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Tough at this age but for me particularly tough as a goalkeeper to try and see how his career might pan out.

Firstly I do not know his height, but 6'2'' minimum would be a precursor to a top keeper, there are some exceptions but you would need to be that.

Then it is such a unique position with unique set of required skill-sets, he wont suddenly be moved to right back or left wing he is what he is a goalkeeper.

In his favour which is the most critical aspect for any young player is I am guessing he will be given time, as a young International he will be given a decent length of contract so it gives him time to ride the odd humps and bumps of a fledgling career, but good luck to him a young Sussex lad with a real chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here