Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Underrated Films

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Loved it, with a cameo from the great Burt Lancaster.

Vancouver film festival, circa 94, Bill Forsyth have an introductory talk, at the Ridge 'theatre' (cinema), on Arbutus, before the first local showing of (apologies either) this film (or was it Comfort and Joy?). Anyway, Local Her, Comfort and Joy and Gregory's girl are all underrated classics. :thumbsup:

I would add the following (some of which are perhaps more 'cult' or more disregarded than underrated.....)

Rear Window
Vertigo
Mary Poppins
All of the Steig Larsson films (Dragon Tattoo)
Americal Werewolf in London
Blow Up

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I enjoyed 'A Royal Affair' with Mads Mikkelsen. Nominated for an oscar and 7.6 on imdb but I guess it's under rated as I'm not that sure many people have seen it as it's subtitled?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Going to watch this on Netflix soon. Looks different.

It's a bizarre film but thoroughly enjoyable. Very dark in places, maybe too harrowing for small children towards the end. Typical Asian feel to it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Vancouver film festival, circa 94, Bill Forsyth have an introductory talk, at the Ridge 'theatre' (cinema), on Arbutus, before the first local showing of (apologies either) this film (or was it Comfort and Joy?). Anyway, Local Her, Comfort and Joy and Gregory's girl are all underrated classics. :thumbsup:

I would add the following (some of which are perhaps more 'cult' or more disregarded than underrated.....)

Rear Window
Vertigo
Mary Poppins
All of the Steig Larsson films (Dragon Tattoo)
Americal Werewolf in London
Blow Up

All really well known films that are highly regarded. None of those films belong on this thread.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's a bizarre film but thoroughly enjoyable. Very dark in places, maybe too harrowing for small children towards the end. Typical Asian feel to it.

Likely to make you a vegan or vegetarian

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All really well known films that are highly regarded. None of those films belong on this thread.

11700263.jpg

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I always get a bit cross when The Prestige (yet another Christopher Nolan snooze-fest with Christian Bale and David Bowie with his preposterous multiplying rabbits) is seemingly lauded to the skies, whilst a year earlier The Illusionist, with Ed Norton and Paul Giamatti, is the cherry on the top of all conjuror-based-twisty-turny films. Criminally overlooked.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I enjoyed 'A Royal Affair' with Mads Mikkelsen. Nominated for an oscar and 7.6 on imdb but I guess it's under rated as I'm not that sure many people have seen it as it's subtitled?

Any film with Mikkelsen is usually decent, a lot of his Danish films are worth a watch, but as you say, people unfortunately don't on the whole do subtitles, which is a shame because most foreign films blow English language films out of the water imho.

City of God
City of Men
Elite Squad
Elite Squad 2
Tsotsi
The Edukators
Cell 211
Sophie Scholl
13 Tzameti

Etc. Etc.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
End of Watch, the LA police film with Jake Gyllenhall is an underrated film imho.

Also the Boston bank heist film The Town with Jeremy Renner and Ben Afflek.

Harsh Times with Christian Bale another.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has Dirty Mary Crazy Larry been mentioned? Just me then, probably something to do with the hots for Susan George :smile:

I also really rated Straw Dogs and They Shoot Horses Don’t They?

How about Carrie and Papillon?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Any film with Mikkelsen is usually decent, a lot of his Danish films are worth a watch, but as you say, people unfortunately don't on the whole do subtitles, which is a shame because most foreign films blow English language films out of the water imho.

City of God
City of Men
Elite Squad
Elite Squad 2
Tsotsi
The Edukators
Cell 211
Sophie Scholl
13 Tzameti

Etc. Etc.

The Hunt with MM is a masterpiece.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Very Bad Things is excellent. Christian Slater and Jeremy Piven.
Maybe not underrated but Grosse Point Blank rarely gets a mention.
We Bought a Zoo with Matt Damon is a saccharine and Americanised version of a British story but I loved it.
Singles by the same director, Crow, was also good. Bit dated now.
I also thought the lesser Eddie Murphy film, Boomerang is genuinely hilarious.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The last supper.

A bunch of liberals have a weekly dinner party where they discuss left-wing matters.

One evening gets gatecrashed by a very right wing ex-marine.
With fatal consequences.

Saw it once at the cinema when the film I was going g to see had sold out.
It may just have been because i had no expectations. But one of my favourites none the less.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Bob Roberts
Not sure if it's under rated or not, but another one ththat was an unexpectedly good watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here