Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Happy St Georges Day

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If we were to pick a new saint now to celebrate on a ‘soon to be’ public holiday, who would it be ?
I’d nominate Dale Winton. So many nice things said about him on 5 live the other day.

Yes, St Wintons day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do the Germans have an equivalent day?

Tons of religious public holidays, and May Day is huge here, and The Day of German Unity, but that’s it. I guess the closest is the latter.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What about the weather.

I wonder if that was why he spent all his life in Africa or was it the ease how an Englishman could rape and pillage the most valuable of their commodities - the diamonds.
Long live De Beers.
I can think of other people who have commanded respect and worth a quote on England’s attributes Buzzer, rather that an architect of apartheid.

he had a heart defect , the climate.agreed with him better.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That pretty much sums it up for me too.

Happy being English. Patriotic, yes, but not blindly so.

There’s so much to enjoy about this ‘green and pleasant land.’

Love your comment on sarcasm. Very true.

Happy to raise a glass, but not sure I need a day to celebrate my Englishness. Happy for the Irish, Welsh and Scots etc to crack on with it if they want, but I don’t need to do it.

Do the Germans have an equivalent day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the germans have okoberfest which embraces drinking huge quantities of lager , wearing tight leather shorts , guzzling sausages and sauerkraut and making their birds wear outfits that force their breasts skywards into a joyful union with plain sight.......us and the germans have so much in common , why don't we have our own oktoberfest ......in july or august...???

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Tons of religious public holidays, and May Day is huge here, and The Day of German Unity, but that’s it. I guess the closest is the latter.

Does everyone dress in Lederhosen and eat sausage on that day, or are there some Germans that just go to the shops and forget about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

rosen montag ? or is that a north-rhein westphalia thing ?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
What about the weather.

I wonder if that was why he spent all his life in Africa or was it the ease how an Englishman could rape and pillage the most valuable of their commodities - the diamonds.
Long live De Beers.
I can think of other people who have commanded respect and worth a quote on England’s attributes Buzzer, rather that an architect of apartheid.

i think you will find that cecil was rather fond of the african folk old boy......i think you may find it was the hugenotts and vortrekkers who refused to share living space and amenities with the africans .....just saying like

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What about the weather.

Long live De Beers.
So you don't think "To be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life" was a perfectly accurate statement at the time it was made? Strange.........

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
For someone who can't be bothered with it, you've got an awful lot to say about it. Is that how indifference works nowadays?

I bet you're not too bothered about St Patrick's Day either but I can't recall you making weak jokes about their Welsh-born patron saint. Maybe I missed that bit of sarcasm from you or perhaps your sarcasm is very selective in this regard.

Well done anyway on being the first in the St George's Day bingo to mention "hijacked by nationalist groups." I can only imagine the disappointment you felt when you saw that your "St George was an immigrant" joke had already been posted.

Sod you and sod all the self-loathers. I bloody love being English.

Just because the day means nothing to me doesn't deny me the opportunity to give thoughts.

Why is being indifferent a sign of self-loathing ? On the contrary, whilst being proud of many an English attribute I consider it more beneficial when it becomes an attribute rather than an over riding constructor of character.

I get the feeling of pride in all things good from England. I'm fine with it. But I'm sure as hell not going to let it demand loyalty from me. And I'm certainly not going to stop it from quenching a thirst to learn from other places and peoples.

I was born, I live here and pay my taxes. I try to be a benefit to others. That's the full extent of my loyalty. I just don't know what a national day is for. Explain it to me. Perhaps I am genuinely missing something here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
rosen montag ? or is that a north-rhein westphalia thing ?

I had to look this up. But, it’s one of the many names for “Carnival” which is popular in certain areas. And the carnival season relates to lent. This is absolutely massive in areas like Cologne.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Happy St George's Day to all English folk,shame it's not a holiday.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Given his views on the Anglo-Saxon race, he’d have made an excellent Nazi......or a competent modern day Tory. We missed out.

Wouldn't happen in... Oh.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
For someone who can't be bothered with it, you've got an awful lot to say about it. Is that how indifference works nowadays?

I bet you're not too bothered about St Patrick's Day either but I can't recall you making weak jokes about their Welsh-born patron saint. Maybe I missed that bit of sarcasm from you or perhaps your sarcasm is very selective in this regard.

Well done anyway on being the first in the St George's Day bingo to mention "hijacked by nationalist groups." I can only imagine the disappointment you felt when you saw that your "St George was an immigrant" joke had already been posted.

Sod you and sod all the self-loathers. I bloody love being English.

Actaully Buzz, I'll tell you what my problem is. Just been thinking about it.

There is much to be proud of in this nation's history. But it's not really what is/was taught to us.

National pride is not about patronage, superiority or conquest (although there have been times when conquest is relevant- that's what November 11th is about).

For me national pride is the servitude of those who have gone before us. The struggles of the working classes, the makers, those who created the things that only now can everyone partake in. It's about those who laid down all personal hope so others in future generations could have that hope. The labourers who built the houses we now live in- yet could barely put bread on their own tables. The folk who lived through boom and bust to serve the elite. Those who led miserable existences so that, unconsciously, ours would be better.

If you want a national day then do away with mythical saints, dragons and patronage. Get rid of servitude to the elite in such celebration. Remember the struggles and pain of those who got us to where we are now.

I'll come and have a drink with you on that.

Cecil Rhodes won the fecking lottery because he was a silver spooned Oxford imperialist neurotic.

If you'd had asked a painter, a labourer, or anyone else in employment of wholesome use they might have given you a different perspective at that time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here