Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Evening geeks, quick Q? What are the thoughts-experiences of computers on rides? I'm taking me blower with me n using strava but with new bike inevitable I'm wondering whether it is worth investing?

It is worth it.
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is right as usual. The garmin 200 is sound, but not accurate on elevation. I can do an extra ride than my mate with an 800 or 810 and he still gets better figures. The 500 is probably the best compromise, but the 510 looks pretty trick. Keep an eye on here if you want new: http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/gps/product/cycling-gps/garmin/garmin-edge-500/

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Evening geeks, quick Q? What are the thoughts-experiences of computers on rides? I'm taking me blower with me n using strava but with new bike inevitable I'm wondering whether it is worth investing?

Pogue Mahone is right when he says the biggest problem with a phone is that it can often run out of battery before completing any ride beyond 3 or 4 hours. Looks to me like you've got the bug and come the end of the year I bet you'll be knocking out the odd 5 hour plus ride and you'll be gutted not to have all of rides like that recorded.

So here's the two biggest things I would say you need to consider if buying a bike computer:

1) Cadence/heart rate sensor ( Ant+ ) compatible or not?

2) Mapping or not?

If the answer is "No" to both the above then a basic model is for you and the Garmin 200 gets great reviews and comes in at about £70- £80 new, and sometimes even cheaper on Supermarket deals. (you can actually navigate with the 200 apparently by using a basic 'breadcrumb' route, but it's not really like having a proper mapped route).

Personally I'd now strongly advise future proofing and getting a device with Ant+ sensor compatibility. Thanks to SB and IL on here, but especially SB singing it's praises, I got into using a cadence sensor and I can honestly say it's changed the way I ride more than any other single thing. Paying attention to cadence won't necessarily make you a stronger rider as such ( I still can't keep up with armchairclubber no matter how much I try and he just rides without paying attention to pretty much anything else gadget or bike wise :rolleyes: ) but it will certainly make you more efficient and give you an 'easier' time for your legs and knees and a better cardio workout too. So I'd definitely tick the cadence sensor box if I were you, even if you don't get into using it straight away.

I'd also recommend a device with maps for more enjoyable rides in unknown territory. I have a Bryton Rider and their site makes it really easy plotting a route and downloading it onto your device. Creating the route is enjoyable in itself and I've followed several routes now just using the directions on the device and always got back home no trouble and enjoyed the feeling of riding out in the middle of nowhere cutting across country lanes galore with absolutely no clue as to what's coming up next. Great fun!

A Garmin is the preferred option for many when it comes to bike computers, and they have a model for whatever you want, but Bryton have a similar product range but usually at a much cheaper equivalent cost than the Garmins. I bagged myself a Bryton Rider 50 secondhand from bikeradar and, despite initial speed/cadence sensor issues that I've now resolved by using a cadence only sensor instead of a combo, it's a brilliant bit of kit. I paid £70 for it which is the same price as the Garmin 200 but with the added extras of Ant+ compatibility and full colour maps.

If you do decide to get a computer but are willing to be patient then I guarantee you will eventually find a bargain on bikeradar, more so than on Ebay where often they go for a price not too much different than buying new. Good luck.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It is worth it.
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is right as usual. The garmin 200 is sound, but not accurate on elevation. I can do an extra ride than my mate with an 800 or 810 and he still gets better figures. The 500 is probably the best compromise, but the 510 looks pretty trick. Keep an eye on here if you want new: http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/gps/product/cycling-gps/garmin/garmin-edge-500/

I bet the road cc fantasy cycling blokes do the elevation calculations on the devices you mention Moto. I mean, why else pay out for 'premium' if you're not going to get yourself an uneven playing field into the bargain :wink:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Sat in A&E with a heart rhythm problem - I know I'm a true geek when my first concern is how this will slow me down on the bike!

Shit. Hope its one of those odd very short term things. Get well soon.

I'm now in week 3 of man flu. Weak and lethargic and just plain knackered. Just another untreatable mystery virus.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Shit. Hope its one of those odd very short term things. Get well soon.

I'm now in week 3 of man flu. Weak and lethargic and just plain knackered. Just another untreatable mystery virus.
Atrial flutter.

Apparently more common in endurance athletes! Even though I'm more if a keen amateur than an athlete these days, a recent step up in intensity of training may have triggered it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Atrial flutter.

Apparently more common in endurance athletes! Even though I'm more if a keen amateur than an athlete these days, a recent step up in intensity of training may have triggered it.

Good to hear it's nothing too serious. Must have been pretty scary though.
Have they ordered you off the bike for a few weeks until things settle down?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Get better soon [MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION] - sounds nasty!

Cycling from the Racecourse to Hangleton this morning was a challenge, the wind is all over the place! Boris' road tyres were not enjoying it at all, nearly got blown into a few kerbs and a bendy bus risked me life severely by coming far too close, for no reason other than to do it.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
[MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION] Get well soon, hope it turns out not to be too serious.

There is five hours of cycling on Eurosport today. Catalunya, Gent-Wevelgem and Criterium International (with added beautiful Corsican scenery) should be pretty entertaining.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
[MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION] Get well soon, hope it turns out not to be too serious.

There is five hours of cycling on Eurosport today. Catalunya, Gent-Wevelgem and Criterium International (with added beautiful Corsican scenery) should be pretty entertaining.
Hopefully nothing that keeps me off the bike!

I shall certainly be milking it for monopolising the TV today!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Cav has crashed in Gent-Wevelgem. Back on the bike though apparently.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
' The weather is so bad that some people are calling for the race to be neutralised. There are reports that riders were blown off their bikes on an exposed sector of road.'

From Gent-Wevelgem ticker on cyclingnews!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh blimey [MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION] fingers crossed it all pans out ok, get well soon.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wiggins has climbed off, what a surprise.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Savage stuff in G-W. Think this may get stopped, looks pretty dangerous out there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gent Wevelgem is just carnage in those winds :eek:

Nearly blown of my feet up the allotment today, let alone sit on a lightweight carbon bike in it with countless riders around you...tough as old boots these classics riders, or just plain mentalists!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here