Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
16.5km/10.25 miles for me this morning in 1:31. Went on the knocky route through Benfield Valley up to Devils Dyke and back along the sea front. Hot and tough on the way up but worth it for the views on the way down. Still lots of over night walkers along the sea front.

Bought new shoes yesterday converted from Asics to Brooks GTS15s felt incredibly light and comfortable for a first run out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bought new shoes yesterday converted from Asics to Brooks GTS15s felt incredibly light and comfortable for a first run out.

I love my GTS 15s!

And this reminds me - Brooks sent me a free pair when I asked about the outsole wear I'd had as posted on this thread.

I had plans for a rare morning run today but I felt dreadful after a mere 3 bottles of beer and a glass of wine last night. It will be another late Sunday evening run for me again.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I love my GTS 15s!

And this reminds me - Brooks sent me a free pair when I asked about the outsole wear I'd had as posted on this thread.

I had plans for a rare morning run today but I felt dreadful after a mere 3 bottles of beer and a glass of wine last night. It will be another late Sunday evening run for me again.

Lightweight!:lol: Forgot to add my pre-run fuelling last night. Large V+T, two beers and a Chinese at Danny's.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I love my GTS 15s!

I've got the GTS 14s and I'm going to upgrade to the 15s once they go. The 14 is a great shoe so glad you like the 15.

Nice to see we're all preparing professionally :)

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Struggled for motivation since the marathon in April, just been doing the odd couple of runs a week. So, starting the 1:30 HM runners world training plan. My PB is 1:42 which I did last Feb in the training for the full one. Doubt I will knock 12 mins off but would be happy with a new PB at least!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well I had an awful run this morning. Managed half marathon distance but legs had gone after about five.

I haven't struggled that much on a run for ages. Had a few drinks last night, but nothing major. I even had to STOP at 11 miles fire a breather! What's all that about.

Anyway: 13.1 miles in 2:05. On the plus side, I'm just shy of 100 miles for the month.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm sitting on my doorstep absolutely dripping. It had gone 9:30 and although I've done a lot of my long runs late on a Sunday, I just couldn't face 10 miles tonight.
I did my 6-and-a-bit mile loop instead and Strava reckons it was my second fastest 10km to date, which is surprising given today is my 31st consecutive day of running.
Only 2 days of #juneathon to go and I can then have a rest day at last!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have never checked my garmin stats for a Parkrun before. Found that my total distance varies from 5.04km to over 5.2km. This mainly due to the curving course where you often have to run wide for a clear run.
The biggest boost is that when doing 20:24 (5.11 km) 10 days back I averaged 3:59 kms meaning if I had been able to run a straight course I would have got a sub 20 for a 5k. In fact I did but will not count that.
The conclusion to my waffle is that on a straight seafront course I am looking for sub 20 before the Rugby World Cup.

Oh you'll do sub 20 no doubt - but some of the difference in distance is down to Garmin accuracy not your wobbling all over the track :D:D

This Saturday I concentrated on getting on the inside of the bends and not running wide. Got it down to a 5.05km reading. Had little wine to stop any wobbling. I have an early Garmin 405 and over 6 years it has been spot on on all races outside Hove Park. The early ones have better accuracy as they were built the size of a small television. It should only deviate 1%, if that. A 5.2km reading would be a 4% deviation.

The answer maybe for me to get the road bike up to the park and do the run course and get the measurement from the odometer (100% accurate) for both the inside and middle course. Can't really be bothered though!
Is your calf on the mend?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Great evening for a run, went out at 8:30 which is perfect as cooling off nicely and had the sun setting as I travelled back home westwards back to Hove.

Marginally short of the 8.6 miles I wanted to cover in an hour, but the quickest run I've ever produced over this distance so in good shape for the Phoenix 2 weeks Wednesday.

1 7:14.1 1.00 7:14
2 7:09.6 1.00 7:10
3 7:05.5 1.00 7:06
4 7:04.5 1.00 7:05
5 7:04.1 1.00 7:04
6 6:57.0 1.00 6:57
7 6:55.5 1.00 6:56
8 6:46.6 1.00 6:47
9 3:43.8 0.58 6:28
Time 1:00:00.5 Distance 8.58 Average pace per mile 7:00

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Managed 11 miles on Sunday morning in just over 2 hours. Undid all the good by a beer or three at Madness at Sussex cricket ground Sunday evening, although did manage a bit of jumping around! Tonight I did 3.5 mile cross country run with the West Hoathly running club. Looking forward to the London 10k a week Sunday (12th) and the the Phoenix 10k on the Wednesday 15th. It will be nice to be on 2 flat courses after the West Hoathly mountain ranges on Sunday (well they felt like mountains - especially the cobb lane 20% gradient hill!!!)

https://www.strava.com/activities/334519577

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Awful 5k jog this morning. Too hot already and had nothing at all in my legs. The planned intervals went out of the window within a minute and just did the minimum. With the schedule shot to bits I may well prepare for the Phoenix by running a 10k on Thursday evening. Not normally an evening runner so I need to test fueling etc,

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Awful 5k jog this morning. Too hot already and had nothing at all in my legs. The planned intervals went out of the window within a minute and just did the minimum. With the schedule shot to bits I may well prepare for the Phoenix by running a 10k on Thursday evening. Not normally an evening runner so I need to test fueling etc,

Rain scheduled Thursday evening so at least it should feel a bit cooler. I prefer an evening run but since my son was born last august I've got used to running early mornings.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My third day off today. Well done Mr Blobby you've got a good evening run scheduled for us. Looking forward to it. Shame I will be too far back to see the finish. I am expecting a NSC fight between [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] and @BigNuts for first place. [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] should then come in after missing a sub 20 5k on Saturday by 2 seconds. I plan to follow [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] as he has recaptured his shorter distance times and I don't want to set off too quick and have him come past in the closing stages like he did in the Marathon. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] will fancy the increase in distance over the Parkrun but will be missing the hills. @Guiness Boy and @mrBlobby are the outsiders as they come into the run without any NSC Form.
Have I missed anyone? Winner buys all the beers?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great evening for a run, went out at 8:30 which is perfect as cooling off nicely and had the sun setting as I travelled back home westwards back to Hove.

Marginally short of the 8.6 miles I wanted to cover in an hour, but the quickest run I've ever produced over this distance so in good shape for the Phoenix 2 weeks Wednesday.

1 7:14.1 1.00 7:14
2 7:09.6 1.00 7:10
3 7:05.5 1.00 7:06
4 7:04.5 1.00 7:05
5 7:04.1 1.00 7:04
6 6:57.0 1.00 6:57
7 6:55.5 1.00 6:56
8 6:46.6 1.00 6:47
9 3:43.8 0.58 6:28
Time 1:00:00.5 Distance 8.58 Average pace per mile 7:00

That is some cracking running BN. I was back on form (of sorts this morning) with the Truleigh Hill 10(.38)k this morning. Slightly longer than last time a couple of weeks ago at just over 52 mins, but I'll blame the heat for the and the fact that I wasn't giving it as much as I might have. I'm gonna concentrate on getting it down to sub 50, and even plot my mile times each time, to see where I can improve. Love that kind of geekery that the likes of a Garmin gives you :lol:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Awful 5k jog this morning. Too hot already and had nothing at all in my legs. The planned intervals went out of the window within a minute and just did the minimum.

I had a similar problem yesterday morning. My plans had already been disrupted by my daughter having a temperature (teething), so I brought the planned run forward from lunchtime to the morning just in case the nursery decided to call. I had also planned to do some intervals around my 8.6 mile loop, but ended up doing a shorter easy run instead as my legs just weren't cooperating.

I always find that irritating when I don't have an issue with stamina but I just can't get the legs moving!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My third day off today. Well done Mr Blobby you've got a good evening run scheduled for us. Looking forward to it. Shame I will be too far back to see the finish. I am expecting a NSC fight between [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] and @BigNuts for first place. [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] should then come in after missing a sub 20 5k on Saturday by 2 seconds. I plan to follow [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] as he has recaptured his shorter distance times and I don't want to set off too quick and have him come past in the closing stages like he did in the Marathon. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] will fancy the increase in distance over the Parkrun but will be missing the hills. @Guiness Boy and @mrBlobby are the outsiders as they come into the run without any NSC Form.

I presume Dazzer's calf rules him out for the Phoenix? Still a minimum of 8 runners is still very good, could be an expensive round for the winner!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Which event are you talking about?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The PHoenix 10k Wednesday July 15th 7.30 Hove Seafront. have I missed you out? If not try and enter but it's close to full.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have never checked my garmin stats for a Parkrun before. Found that my total distance varies from 5.04km to over 5.2km. This mainly due to the curving course where you often have to run wide for a clear run.
The biggest boost is that when doing 20:24 (5.11 km) 10 days back I averaged 3:59 kms meaning if I had been able to run a straight course I would have got a sub 20 for a 5k. In fact I did but will not count that.
The conclusion to my waffle is that on a straight seafront course I am looking for sub 20 before the Rugby World Cup.

This Saturday I concentrated on getting on the inside of the bends and not running wide. Got it down to a 5.05km reading. Had little wine to stop any wobbling. I have an early Garmin 405 and over 6 years it has been spot on on all races outside Hove Park. The early ones have better accuracy as they were built the size of a small television. It should only deviate 1%, if that. A 5.2km reading would be a 4% deviation.

The answer maybe for me to get the road bike up to the park and do the run course and get the measurement from the odometer (100% accurate) for both the inside and middle course. Can't really be bothered though!
Is your calf on the mend?

Sounds like a good idea. They'll have had the parkrun course properly measured when it was set up so there should be a 5k line somewhere !

Thanks for asking - not sure. Tried a jog on Sunday, was ok for a mile then tightened up again and sore for 24 hours so not good. Stuck in a Dubai hotel this week so leaving the running out for a few days and doing a bit of elliptical trainer every day which doesn't seem to aggravate it at all. 40+ degrees outside anyway so wouldn't be doing anything other than treadmill even if I was running.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here