Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sleepwalking back to the Championship

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've no idea, that's why I asked.

Is it top 3 , mid table or one of the lowest in the division?

I think last time the figures were published, our wagebill was the 9th biggest in the Championship. Meaning we massively over-achieved finishing in the top 2.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Attitude is everything. Show no respect for the big teams or their big players, just like Ezequiel did on Saturday.

All of this comes hot on the heels of the nauseating sight of Duffy and Kayal getting Mo Salah to sign a shirt and Tomer FFS on his Instagram feed, standing there like a lemon holding the shirt of Ibrahimovic.

Interesting take, on what does (and doesn't) allow a pro to commit to their job properly.

If you followed Schelotto on instagram - the one that you hold up as an example to the weak-minded others - you'd have seen him proudly holding up the shirts, so far, of Federico Fernandez (Swansea), Eric Lamella (Spurs), Pablo Zabaleta (West Ham) and Marcos Rojo (Man United). He is seemingly making a nice collection of shirts from his Premier League compatriots.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Valid point, it worked great for Blackpool spending very wisely and keeping a very structured approach to their incoming players, you can see this by their success in the top flight on the pitch right now. God forbid we do a Bournemouth and go balls to the wall to try to stay up, look at the state of them and their massive collapse into the lower leagues they have experienced.

Oh wait, that's the other way around. If you can't beat them join them. Spend whatever is required to stay up.

You're seriously comparing TB's running of BHA with the running of Blackpool by a couple of criminals ? :facepalm:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The PL has moved to a WAY new other financial level now.

Seems to me that TB is now in much the same situation that DK was at Withdean: unwilling/unable to go with the prevailing market rates.

Huff and puff as much as you like, but that's where we currently stand.

Every promoted team currently stands in the predicament we are currently in: you simply cannot change, upgrade, enhance your entire squad in 2 transfer windows. The prevailing market is as we have done, spend around £40m or so, and try to hang in there at the end. Only when you've survived can you add to that and improve again. This has been the same pattern for several seasons, and typically only 1 occasionally 2 of the promoted teams stay up. Its rare that it is all three.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Interesting take, on what does (and doesn't) allow a pro to commit to their job properly.

If you followed Schelotto on instagram - the one that you hold up as an example to the weak-minded others - you'd have seen him proudly holding up the shirts, so far, of Federico Fernandez (Swansea), Eric Lamella (Spurs), Pablo Zabaleta (West Ham) and Marcos Rojo (Man United). He is seemingly making a nice collection of shirts from his Premier League compatriots.

He's collecting shirts of his fellow countrymen (surely you couldn't possibly have missed that?). Not exactly idolising them is he (as Tomer was with Ibra which I don't mind either by the way).

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

He's collecting shirts of his fellow countrymen (surely you couldn't possibly have missed that?). Not exactly idolising them is he (as Tomer was with Ibra which I don't mind either by the way).

You do know what 'compatriot' means?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
God forbid we do a Bournemouth and go balls to the wall to try to stay up, look at the state of them and their massive collapse into the lower leagues they have experienced.

Oh wait, that's the other way around. If you can't beat them join them. Spend whatever is required to stay up.

We have joined them. Bournemouth made a similar loss (£40m) to us in their promotion season and we're likely to make a small profit - <£5m (as they did in their first season - 15/16) .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have joined them. Bournemouth made a similar loss (£40m) to us in their promotion season and we're likely to make a small profit - <£5m (as they did in their first season - 15/16) .

When can we start playing entertaining attacking football like them? :wink:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

That's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT because he ran around a lot on Saturday.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You do know what 'compatriot' means?

Missed it, apologies. Point stands.

That's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT because he ran around a lot on Saturday.

Getting shirts off your fellow nationals half the world away who have made the same trip over here is quite different I'd say to asking for a fellow player's autograph because they have scored a lot of goals.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You do get to watch a lot of football Icy !

Nope I have watched Bournemouth against us twice this season, I am jealous of how entertaining they have been in both games, although we were pretty entertaining in the game at the Amex too.

Different mindset of the managers I guess, we are both around the same place in the table playing in a totally different style.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can't be bothered to find it but [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] posted a very insightful post the other day that showed that despite the new riches in the PL, we don't end up with very much of the £100m after current costs etc - £10m if memory serves me correctly.

I'm not the one huffing and puffing, you are - all because you don't appreciate TB trying to make the club sustainable.

:shrug:

Maybe the club's got bigger fish to fry than the PL for now. Like building a new IKEA and housing estate. Can always revisit the PL at a later date eh?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
:shrug:

Maybe the club's got bigger fish to fry than the PL for now. Like building a new IKEA and housing estate. Can always revisit the PL at a later date eh?

Again another of the most ridiculous and insulting things I’ve heard charged at Bloom. He cares more about property development than ( as if makes any difference to how the club is run anyway) to whether we get the wins to keep us up this season. But keep going.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Again another of the most ridiculous and insulting things I’ve heard charged at Bloom. He cares more about property development than ( as if makes any difference to how the club is run anyway) to whether we get the wins to keep us up this season. But keep going.

I thought it was such a ridiculously stupid idiotic statement I couldn't even make the effort to type a reply to it.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
The Premier League is littered with expensive strikers, on high wages, who fail to hit the target on a regular basis. Mounie, Benteke, Bony, Defoe(this season), Carroll, Javier Hernandez, Andre Gray, off the top of my head. There is no guarantee that if Bloom smashed the clubs transfer record yet again this year we would be guaranteed survival.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
The Premier League is littered with expensive strikers, on high wages, who fail to hit the target on a regular basis. Mounie, Benteke, Bony, Defoe(this season), Carroll, Javier Hernandez, Andre Gray, off the top of my head. There is no guarantee that if Bloom smashed the clubs transfer record yet again this year we would be guaranteed survival.

Spot on .....and on current form I'd say our defence is just as much of a worry, so even if we start scoring we may not score enough

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Attitude is everything. Show no respect for the big teams or their big players, just like Ezequiel did on Saturday.

Dads - Stop getting your kids to hold up signs asking for opposition players shirts no matter how good said player is. I know this has been covered in other threads, but this is only gonna get worse when Spurs, Man Utd, Arsenal etc come to town. Expect not one, but dozens of cringe worthy signs, just change Hazard for Kane, Sanchez, Pogba, Ozil, Lukaku etc.

All of this comes hot on the heels of the nauseating sight of Duffy and Kayal getting Mo Salah to sign a shirt and Tomer FFS on his Instagram feed, standing there like a lemon holding the shirt of Ibrahimovic.

I am prepared for a roasting by the 'take the tribalism out of football', 'its just a game', 'its just 22 men kicking around a bag of leather' brigade. I don't care anymore, unless attitudes of some fans and some players change we're back in the championship to the chant of 'Fleetwood, on a Tuesday night'

Agree with a lot of what you're saying and wrote as much in my match report (below).

It's not one specific thing - not just Hazard Boy or a particular shirt swap - but from the minute our fans got the selfie sticks out for the Man City coach we've collectively treated this season like we don't belong. There are two magnificent exceptions, West Ham and Man Utd away. Why they were different I have no answer.

It does show in our play. We give the ball away far too often. We do it under pressure because we believe the guy closing in on us is God and not just another player, and we're fearful of mistakes. I see it all the time in my son's team when they play a cup match against opposition from a higher league and you can see it in every Stephens sideways pass and collective panic at corners.

https://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/2018/01/21/chelsea-at-home-hazard-warning/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el punal

Dads - Stop getting your kids to hold up signs asking for opposition players shirts no matter how good said player is. I know this has been covered in other threads, but this is only gonna get worse when Spurs, Man Utd, Arsenal etc come to town. Expect not one, but dozens of cringe worthy signs, just change Hazard for Kane, Sanchez, Pogba, Ozil, Lukaku etc.

I am prepared for a roasting by the 'take the tribalism out of football', 'its just a game', 'its just 22 men kicking around a bag of leather' brigade. I don't care anymore, unless attitudes of some fans and some players change we're back in the championship to the chant of 'Fleetwood, on a Tuesday night'

Right, my advice? Sit down, have a nice mug of hot chocolate and stop getting so het up. Personally I don't give a toss about whether a fan or a player wants shirts, selfies or autographs - it's down to them, their choice. I go to the football to watch my team, Brighton and Hove Albion play, believe it or not I enjoy it. Obviously I prefer us to win but if we lose then so be it. The fact is we're in the Premier League, something that many of us would not have thought possible a few years back, so savour the moment be it long or short and stop worrying about how some fans and players should act - it really doesn't matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here