Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: Last night's visit to Southend was all a bit retro, wasn't it?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I actually had a walking holiday in the countryside around there (it was timed to take in a Brighton game too); it's an absolutely gorgeous area, almost worth suffering Middlesbrough for (and Middlesbrough is a jewel compared with Billingham or Stockton, down the road)

Quite true. A few of us stayed in Scarborough before the final game of last season. As promised by our (Boro supporting) host, the drive over the moors to get to Middlesbrough was quite beautiful. Lovely scenery, and some very nice little towns along the coast on the way back, like Robin Hood's Bay. Middlesbrough, Billingham & much of Teesside are pretty miserable, but they're fortunate to be surrounded by beauty.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
great post, Edna. I took my wheelchair bound father to the match last night. The wheelchair facilities consisted of us sitting in the groundsmans hut , of which from I was given a plastic patio chair to sit on. Next to the corner flag. View was good though

The official site has the usual fans gallery up from last night's game now. The 4th shot in the series appears to be in front of the groundsman's shed....maybe you, [MENTION=6609]gjh1971[/MENTION]?

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/albion-fans-pictures-at-southend-united.-2613764.aspx

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That certainly is me - the large chap in the check shirt on the left

Ha. If you didn't know that photo was taken in a football stadium, you'd never guess, would you? :lol:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It took me about 30 secs to complete the purchase of my drink at HT, a similar transaction at the AMEX you'd be looking at a minimum of THREE minutes.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It looks like I'm about to present an episode of DIY SOS

Perhaps if the Albion had rung DIY SOS sooner, it wouldn't have taken us 14 years to get a new stadium. Maybe we just needed a better sob story.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You're right, of course, even without the unpleasant football venues. I've visited parts of the UK I'd never have gone to if it wasn't for Brighton & Hove Albion. There's no other reason to find yourself in Scunthorpe, Carlisle, Walsall or Doncaster, is there? I've also discovered that some places are actually a lot less awful than their reputations. I quite liked Rotherham last season: alright, there were more branches of Cash Converters than I think I've ever seen in a single urban area, and also a quite shocking proportion of clinically obese folk, but, in the main, the town pleasantly surprised me. Similarly, Hartlepool isn't nearly as grim as you'd imagine. Or Huddersfield. Middlesbrough obviously is though :D

I think that almost needs a thread of it's own. Towns that sound like shit but arent quite that bad or something.

I am personally taking credit for you coming out of your 2014/15 timezone by tweeting my disgust at the idea of extra time at the end of such of an attrocious 0-0 draw. I pretty much tweeted it and then looked up to see Lua Lua in on goal. Don't thank me!

I would add that it is an annoyingly difficult place to get to for an evening game. You either leave ridiculously early and have to face their "seafront", or as in my case you leave afer work and face the worst part of the M25 in rush hour, followed by the Dartford crossing (seems worse since the prepaid bit came in) and then a slow road out to Southend. Very slow if you opted for the A13 last night which had a four car pileup sadly. I arrived with five minutes to spare. I saw a family arrive just after half time. At least they missed nothing!

One final thought, why the hell DID thei player wear such tight shorts. I know youve mentioned it already but I wan't to know WHY? He looked a total dick in them. Is it medical? Does the kitman hate him? It almost looked like it restricted his movement! Haven't seen the like since the 90's and Stuart Pearce.

raz_18

Thomas Parrott
Jan 26, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
uploadfromtaptalk1439400922304.jpg
Southends very own "Southend raider" and his mate in shorts, who we had the pleasure of standing with at Shenfield Station, the usual gay chants shouting towards us. Once I had applauded his originality, he then conitued with "you f*cking queers aren't welcome in Essex, why don't you f*ck off back to gay country" then followed with the usual gay insults.

Last edited:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
The trip to Southend was like stepping back in time, in so many ways.

If you've not been to Roots Hall in fifteen or twenty years, I can assure you it hasn't changed a bit, in fact I'd go so far as to say they don't appear to have given it so much as a coat of paint in that time. The away end remains vaguely reminiscent of a pre-renovation Pissfield, though the toilets are- very marginally- less horrific. The locals were as warm and caring as ever, and I was impressed to note that it took a mere four minutes of the match for an enthusiastic contingent of Southend yoofs, huddled around their comedy drummer, to launch into a rendition of "You're just a town full of ******s". Haven't heard that one for literally several years, Shrimpers, as the rest of society- certainly at Championship level- seems thankfully to have moved on. I thought it was just the faded former mill towns of East Lancashire that were the last remaining bastions of anti-civilisation. Truly fascinated to learn that Essex has its own little pocket still. No wonder Farage & chums were so keen. As I walked back to the car afterwards, minding my own business & perusing the night's other scores on my phone, my lone Albion presence was noted by one such plucky yoof, who sent me on my way with a cheery "AND YOU CAN FACK OFF TOO, YOU FACKING QUEER! FACKING QUEER! GET AAAT OF OUR TAAAAN!". Which was quaint.

Also in the retro mood was Southend's number 22, who was sporting a pair of small, small shorts, the likes of which haven't been seen since George Michael was bouncing around the pool in Club Tropicana, along with a ludicrous hipster beard (which, to be fair, even George wouldn't have been seen dead with).

Keen to leave such depressing scenes behind, I reset the time in the DeLorean, and whizzed myself back to the future, where, curiously, I found myself at Roots Hall again, watching an Albion side plodding around the pitch aimlessly, giving away possession, lacking any sort of creativity, and with one feeble, isolated striker meandering alone up front, failing to create any worthwhile chances whatsoever. Thankfully, with only a minute left of added time, I realised my error: I'd mistakenly set the year to 2014/15. Thank goodness: I was able to correct my mistake and bring myself back to the current day. 2015/16 is so much better, isn't it?

Bad luck...my mate & I had a really good experience of Southend...Nice cheap parking next to the pier, an hour on the prom chatting to friendly locals, free parking 5 mins from the ground followed by a nice pint and free sarnies on the bar in The Blue Boar...A decent hot dog with cheese/pukka pie served in about 30 seconds in the ground , watched the match then out and on the A127 in 10 minutes at the end of the match....

Nice afternoon/evening

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here