Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Pretentious Pub Food

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Blimey, there is some pretentious shite around.
I like decent food, but I won't pay daft prices.
It all smacks of an updated re-run of the 'Nouvelle Cuisine ' of the 1980's , where half a slice of meat and a quarter of a potato, together with five peas served on a f----ng great plate constituted a main course!
A fool and his money comes to mind.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On August Bank Holiday weekend our daughter has invited me and Mrs.El Pu for a friends and family lunch at a New Forest pub - she and the rest of the family are camping in the Forest, by the way.

As there are going to be a load of us in the party we have to give our choice of meal in advance - fair enough. So I went on-line to check out what’s on offer on the menu. Well you could have strangled me with a half n’ half scarf. Whoever is running the establishment is suffering from a severe bout of Heston Blumenthal-itis.

This is a sample of the pretentious, poncy descriptions from the menu :

Home made flowerpot bread - Chef’s recipe baked in a flower pot. Please ask a member of staff for today’s flavour.

Jelly and ice cream - smoked duck, caramelised ice cream, baby orange and port jelly.

Pea and pepper risotto - slowly roasted balsamic baby tomatoes and carrot fluff.

And this one is my favourite : Slowly braised lamb shoulder and potatoes - In has el hanout on toasted egg plant with confit of lemon and pickled lotus root.

Of course there many, many more gems on the menu, all equally descriptive. But when all is said and done it’s a pub FFS!! God knows what they describe a packet of cheese and onion crisps as. :eek:

WTF is a carrot fluff, vegetable pubity or a new addition to the Weasley family?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Blimey, there is some pretentious shite around.
I like decent food, but I won't pay daft prices.
It all smacks of an updated re-run of the 'Nouvelle Cuisine ' of the 1980's , where half a slice of meat and a quarter of a potato, together with five peas served on a f----ng great plate constituted a main course!
A fool and his money comes to mind.

Good post.

But I would say that sometimes you don't know you're being ripped off until the food and then bill arrives.

In which case you vote with your feet and let others know your experience on tripadvisor.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Most of Shorehams hostelries are borderline eateries now, some ok, some Shyte. We only really have one traditional pub left, thank ****!

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Gluten free and Dairy Free Option Available. I had to Google the second one. Not sure why there'd be dairy in fish and chips anyway.

I have to provide allergen information for everything on the menu, and my haddock and chips does indeed have dairy in it - it's because we put butter and cream in the mushy peas, and I would assume it is the same.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I realise that but always thought that eggs were classed as dairy. Its like the old argument do you keep them in the fridge or not.

They re-organised everything about 3 years ago BG, and now there are 14 different allergens you have to list. Egg and dairy (or milk as it's now listed) are quite distinct

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here