Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watches

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Everest has a Citizen Miyota cal 9015 movement. Automatic, hacks and can be hand wound. Keeps excellent time. I've no worries about finding someone who can service it.
Fair enough, thanks.
Smiths were a well known British brand for their clocks, instruments, military and civilian watches until the 1980's. The brand name was bought by the guy behind Timefactors.com. I can put my hand on my heart and say I have rarely been happier with a purchase. Doesn't perhaps carry the cachet of better known brands but I assure you the quality is excellent and way exceeds the price point.
I'm not questioning whether that's nice watch for the price, I'd have no problem owning one (I've bought 3 automatics for less). I'm just not sure it's what he's after if he's looking to spend £1k on a 21st present. But you're right, it's an option for him to look at.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So [MENTION=30352]McTavish[/MENTION], do you care what brand you buy: Swiss, Japanese, one with pedigree or new online retailer?

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
http://www.russelltalerman.com/

Rolex wanted twelve grand (yes, twelve grand) to replace the casing and service my watch. This guy invisibly repaired it, and serviced it, for £500. Looked brand new when it came back.

He's serviced several watches of mine over the years, and his service and craftsmanship is always first class. Many of the well-known watch dealers and collectors use him.

Thanks

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
If you are after a dress watch then I'd suggest the Junghans "Max Bill". They do a huge variety of colours, straps, mechanical and quartz movements. 38mm mid size, classic Bauhaus design by the famous artist max bill. They are around about £1000 depending on which one you go for. For a 21 year old I'd be very tempted to go for a new watch like this. I have many vintage watches, the servicing etc adds up quickly. Check out the youtube video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjwa64GtFiQ&t=1s

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If you are after a dress watch then I'd suggest the Junghans "Max Bill". They do a huge variety of colours, straps, mechanical and quartz movements. 38mm mid size, classic Bauhaus design by the famous artist max bill. They are around about £1000 depending on which one you go for. For a 21 year old I'd be very tempted to go for a new watch like this. I have many vintage watches, the servicing etc adds up quickly. Check out the youtube video below.

Good call.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Nice watch.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Nice watch.

It's a truly iconic watch. I think it fits perfectly for what [MENTION=30352]McTavish[/MENTION] wanted. This instantly came to mind when I saw the initial post. The Design museum has it in it's top 50 of watches that changed the world. I have an old Junghans watch that used to belong to my Grand Father. I'll always keep it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a truly iconic watch. I think it fits perfectly for what [MENTION=30352]McTavish[/MENTION] wanted. This instantly came to mind when I saw the initial post.
Annoyingly they don't seen to have one TGV reviewed with a light face.

The Design museum has it in it's top 50 of watches that changed the world.
Is the one they have listed the Max Bill?

It seems the glass is prone to cracking?

Last edited:

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Annoyingly they don't seen to have the plain no date with numbers and a light face.

Is the one they have listed the Max Bill?

Yes, I have design museum book and it's in there. The plain, automatic, no date with no numbers and light face is the one shown in my book. There are so many variations, i'm sure with some effort one could be sourced second hand or new.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
http://www.russelltalerman.com/

Rolex wanted twelve grand (yes, twelve grand) to replace the casing and service my watch. This guy invisibly repaired it, and serviced it, for £500. Looked brand new when it came back.

He's serviced several watches of mine over the years, and his service and craftsmanship is always first class. Many of the well-known watch dealers and collectors use him.
As I said, thanks.
But not exactly local (I'm in Worthing). There are a number in London was more wondering if there's any really good ones in the Sussex area to avoid sending by post?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's passionate, I'll say that. ;-)
Well acts as though he is.

He used to have a video about doing exercise, where he's talking in his authentic Essex (I think) accent. Understandably he's removed it now, as he pretends to be a high class lad who goes shooting in his English estate, when not globetrotting.
He also claims that his grandfather won the Victoria Cross, but I believe he made it up.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a good price on either an Omega Planet Ocean, or Tudor divers watch please (new)?

Thanks

Warner Edwards

Aug 2, 2017
Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a good price on either an Omega Planet Ocean, or Tudor divers watch please (new)?

Thanks

Try Iconic watches, they usually do good prices on new watches, I've bought 3 or 4 watches off them over the years. Also worth a look are Browns family jewellers,they don't do Tudor but do sell Omega

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Thanks
If you are flying anytime soon from Gatwick or Heathrow you can get a discount. It's not VAT reduced as commonly supposed but a discount. So can be discretionary. You can also ring ahead and order a watch for the date when you are flying and get the price.
Other than that try ringing around AD's see what they will offer. You are more likely to get a discount at an independent. Also worth enquiring what extra goodies they could throw in to sweeten the deal, extra strap, first service free. Pressleys in Worthing do Tudors. You're unlikely to get a discount at an Omega boutique shop.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here