Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is at fault?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Wilson, for letting Ebanks-Landell nip in front of him on the half way line.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

This is a weak argument. Calderon let cross after cross come in yesterday, particularly in the first half, yet Bruno let one get past him all game and he was unfortunate that it resulted in a goal due to a mix up. Considering he was patrolling the whole of the right wing (which is down to CH's strange tactic meaning he had no support yesterday), is it a surprise that one cross got by him?

Crosses come in during games because full backs simply can't stop every single one - it's up to the centre halves and keeper to deal with them and on one instance yesterday they didn't. That's how things are going at the moment. If you're going to blame anyone in this instance, you should be looking at Wilson for carelessly losing the ball on the half way line.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
For me hughton takes the blame over the last 2 games for switching back to a system the players do not look comfortable in. I have been really impressed with hughtons positivity all season up to the Ipswich game where his cautious side crept back in.

When we do not play 4-4-2 we struggle to get behind teams which is why we have reverted to last seasons tactic of patiently trying to pass through 10 men behind the ball rather than earlier this season when we got the ball up the pitch with far more pace and purpose

We had the personnel to play 4-4-2 against Ipswich but did not we could have played Manu on the wing yesterday but chose not to. Murphy played tucked inside so our only width came from Bruno and Calderon.

Hoping for a return to 4-4-2 for next league game and the return of Lua Lua

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Another vote for Wilson. I like the directness of him when he has the ball but this leads him to be an absolute hogger. He should have released the ball earlier, didn't, we lost possession while on the front foot and they broke quickly. This caused a bit of panic which resulted in the goal imo.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
For me hughton takes the blame over the last 2 games for switching back to a system the players do not look comfortable in. I have been really impressed with hughtons positivity all season up to the Ipswich game where his cautious side crept back in.

When we do not play 4-4-2 we struggle to get behind teams which is why we have reverted to last seasons tactic of patiently trying to pass through 10 men behind the ball rather than earlier this season when we got the ball up the pitch with far more pace and purpose

We had the personnel to play 4-4-2 against Ipswich but did not we could have played Manu on the wing yesterday but chose not to. Murphy played tucked inside so our only width came from Bruno and Calderon.

Hoping for a return to 4-4-2 for next league game and the return of Lua Lua

We played 442 yesterday. We just didn't do it in a conventional 2 wingers, 2 central midfielders and 2 out and out strikers kinda way. But it was still a 442 shape from the start. Just a very very lop sided one due to the personel.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We played 442 yesterday. We just didn't do it in a conventional 2 wingers, 2 central midfielders and 2 out and out strikers kinda way. But it was still a 442 shape from the start. Just a very very lop sided one due to the personel.

Looked like 4-3-3 from where I was sitting with 3 central midfielders playing behind Murphy, Zamora and Wilson.

IMO the reason we completely lacked any width yesterday as there as nobody to carry the ball quickly down the flanks from defence to attack.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Looked like 4-3-3 from where I was sitting with 3 central midfielders playing behind Murphy, Zamora and Wilson.

IMO the reason we completely lacked any width yesterday as there as nobody to carry the ball quickly down the flanks from defence to attack.

That's because Crofts was supposed to be the designated right sided player but kept wondering into no man's land. Wilson was playing, at least until the second half, very high up, although more towards the right hand side to try and offer an outlet down there, but he had no defensive duties and was playing around Zamora.

I think unfortunately it was round pegs in square holes yesterday and it took a few of the players a half or so to work out where the space was for them to exploit.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Yep totally agree that's where we are missing out. Earlier in the season we were turning over defence into attack at pace. Now we have gone back to the 20 passes to cross the halfway line approach. We desperately need a right winger who can cross and a left back to allow similar forays down that side as per earlier in the season.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Even if Stockdale didn't shout, that's no excuse for Goldson to stick it in his own net!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No. A striker can't just say "I'm being closed down in this game so I'm not going to score". It's up to the striker to find space at the right times and to make best use of whatever service he gets.

A very simplistic view of how football is played

If a striker has 3 players in very close proximity, blocking the route to goal if he were to go left,right or try to go straight through them, giving them nothing to aim at and should he push the ball wider, there is then another defender there to close out the space again. (don't you think that a team defending deep and in numbers is going to try to make sure that the striker doesn't have a chance to shoot above all other opposition players on the pitch?)

Most teams struggle to break down a team with 10 behind the ball, defending very deep. We do it when ahead with 20 or so minutes to go and teams struggle to break us down.

All teams find it easier when they have more space, ie when they are able to counter attack or even just when the opposition leave a few players up the pitch

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
According to the radio commentary they heard Stockdale's shout from where they were sat.

Really? I didn't hear anything and that was the general opinion around me too, I've not watched any replays yet to see if anything is picked up on them.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Right, yesterday's unfortunate own goal by Goldson - who was at fault?

This incident was almost a carbon copy of the one that Dunk nearly scored at Derby, whereby a weak cross was heading for the front post and Stockdale has positioned himself to collect - on each occasion the centre back has dived in front of him to intercept a ball that clearly was going straight into the keeper's arms.

So, who is at fault, the defender who thinks he is doing the right thing as the last man, or the keeper for not giving a clear, unequivocal shout of "keeper's ball"?

Discuss...

To me, it's just an unfortunate incident and i don't blame either. Goldson tried to put it out because he was aware of the striker lurking near by (on 6 yard line between Goldson and Stockdale when you see the replay) who could have stuck a leg out and beaten Stockdale to the ball (safety first) - If a defender is unsure, (attacker nearby) he should clear it into touch (sometimes defenders will still do this, even if they get a shout from the keeper) and that is what Goldson tried to do

We have seen plenty of other players try to do similar, with some attempts to stop the cross going dangerously close to an own goal so do we need to also find a scapegoat / someone to blame for these too? - it happens at all clubs

Finding players to blame helps no-one and can dent individual players confidence, negatively impacting their performance (become more dithering about whether they should clear or not, or don't play the riskier, but potentially defence splitting pass because they know that should it fail, it will be met with criticism from those watching)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really? I didn't hear anything and that was the general opinion around me too, I've not watched any replays yet to see if anything is picked up on them.

I might stand corrected on this........we didn't think there was a shout at the time but have just watched the replay of it a couple of times and it does sound like there might have been a shout. Possibly 'keepers' and sounds a bit like the Stockdale squawk as the ball comes across. Would also explain why he looked narked with Goldson. Just unfortunate either way, one of those things.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Watch the whole move before the goal again and Wilson gives the ball away on the half way line in criminal fashion and makes a very half hearted attempt to get it back. This then leaves Bruno exposed and the opportunity for a cross is there.

After that it is hard for us to tell whose fault it is. If Stockdale called for it then clearly it is Goldson's fault, if not then even so he should have been putting a big boot to clear it not a pussy one into the goal.

So for me the blame lies:

Wilson 33%
Goldson 60%
Bruno 7%

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No. A striker can't just say "I'm being closed down in this game so I'm not going to score". It's up to the striker to find space at the right times and to make best use of whatever service he gets.

What a strange comment. Football is a series of mini battles all over the pitch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I might stand corrected on this........we didn't think there was a shout at the time but have just watched the replay of it a couple of times and it does sound like there might have been a shout. Possibly 'keepers' and sounds a bit like the Stockdale squawk as the ball comes across. Would also explain why he looked narked with Goldson. Just unfortunate either way, one of those things.

Stockdale definitely opened his mouth but as you say, it may have sounded like a squawk as he hasn't got a deep booming voice. I'm in the north stand near the goal, and thought he called for the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here