Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the most ANNOYING type of people on trains?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
All of the things that have been mentioned resonate with me !
I'm surprised, however, that nobody has mentioned the idiot who comes up to you and asks where the train is going because they can't be @rsed to look at the destination board which is two feet over their head or on the outside of the train.
I absolutely loathed commuting and am glad that I stopped in July. Southern and FCC do seem to be the worst though as I recently took a trip on an East Mids train and that was relatively pleasant. The Eurostar has been OK too on the few occasions I have used it

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
That's definitely covered my train hates. Although nobody has touched on ARMREST BATTLEGROUND.

I'm not big on the armrest, I'm able to read a newspaper or use my phone without the need to stick my elbows out at 90 degrees.

So when my elbows are down by my sides INSIDE the armrests and I have conceded them to the person next to me, why am I still getting arm rub / elbowed?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Amazed that no-one has mentioned this yet, but people who fall asleep and lean on me are the most annoying. Just last night, a 'city worker' type sat next to me, and promptly fell asleep meaning I had 30mins with his head on my shoulder.

Well wake him up then. What sort of man let's a man sleep on him.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Paris Metro, even first thing in the morning, there's always some smelly ****tard who thinks that deodorant is just some sort of nebulous concept........and it's not always a bloke!

Spot on. My pet hate on the metro and RER trains are the idiots who rush on without letting people get off first. I like to think we're more polite in the UK but someone has mentioned a similar gripe a few pages back.

I trust you are settling in ok SouthCoastOwl :thumbsup:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
People who spend 30 or 40 minutes yapping on their mobile phones, and then say 'Oh, I'm just pulling into the station now, I'll see you in a minute." If you're meeting someone for the evening/weekend, why spend half-an-hour or more talking to them en route? :tosser:

Young women who spend the whole train journey yapping on their pretty pink phones, but whose conversation consists of 'ohmygod', 'totes', 'know what I mean' and 'like'. Bimbo babble :yawn:

Chav parents who let their delinquent brats run up and down the aisle shouting, or climb all over the seats - especially in the Quiet Carriage (this happened when I was travelling to Swindon for our COC Cup game a few weeks ago); problem is, you know if you say anything, you'll get a mouthful of abuse or a fist in your face; just sterilise these scumbags when they reach puberty.:rant:

Elderly couples about to embark on a long train journey who start eating their corned beef sandwiches (invariably wrapped in silver foil) before the train has even left the station. FFS! :shrug:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
People who run on to the train like a scared deer without checking where it stops and not realising that the there is one that stops where they need to 7 mins later and then getting annoyed because the conductor isn't able to stop the train when they find out the train isn't going to stop at their station. Check where it stops FFS :tosser:

Last edited:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Young children who repeatedly ask their parents when the train is going to leave the station, it's okay a few times but eventually almost anybody would get tired of a high pitched voice whining the same thing over and over again, maybe I'm just a bad person

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Leg spreaders. They're always men and think it's ok to sit with their legs wide apart such that one leg encroaches into the space on the seat next to them. If the sit next to me I end up contorting myself into an uncomfortable position so as to avoid any unwanted leg touching.

That's strange .its normally women who do that opposite me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think this thread has captured most of 'em. Witnessed a pure comedy moment one evening coming back from London Bridge over the armrest. One wanted it down, the other didn't....hilarious watching them (two professional 40-somethings in suits) pushing it up and down, and the 'down' guy then leaning on it to stop it being put up, until he leant over to pick something out his bag and up it was flipped again. My pet hates (from 20+ years of Burgess Hill-London commuting) :
-noisy laptop keyboard hammering at 6am
-apple earphones, truly useless
-'I'm on the train' phonecalls. Yes, the same fecking train you get EVERY day.
-noisy eaters (crisps, chewing gum with mouth open etc)
-sniffers
-eaters of hot (smelly) food. Burger King is particularly bad
-people on rush hour trains who don't know the drill (bags everywhere etc)
-people who get on the train at early stops, sit in the outside seat and then harrumph when you ask to sit down (on trains that are 100% full every day)
-armrest hoggers with pointy elbows that encroach
-people who sigh very loudly and look at their watches when it's announced the train is THREE minutes late. Get a life FFS

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Lady gets on high speed train at Reading, next stop is Exeter, as the train pulls out the lady says" Is this the train for Swansea" I say " no, Plymouth", lady says "oh my god" and goes to look for the guard. This happened a couple of months ago.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The most frustrating person I have ever seen on a train sat opposite me many years ago when I used to commute between Charing Cross and Tunbridge Wells. But it was a different type of frustration.
I managed to leave London early before the rush hour the carriage was quite empty and it was a warm day, a girl of about 18 got on and sat opposite me. She was very good looking and had very small denim shorts on but all she had on top was a string vest. She had fabulous titties and nips which both poked through the holes in the vest. I tried to be cool about it but failed miserably but she knew I was looking and kept thrusting them out. She got off at Orpington (I got off later that evening)
To this day I sometimes think about it and wonder why I did not at least try to chat her up but this thread has just resurrected a situation that had never happened to me before or since.

:needpics:

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Spanish trains, the problem is the teenagers smoking on the carriages or in the middle of the two carriages. Bloody stinks, even worse since I've recently quit!!

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Eaters. In particular noisy eaters.

I was on a train some years back where a woman commuter was stuffing her face with crisps and snacks. In the process she was making a mess and with accompanying chomping noise. The pong of her cheese and onion crisps wafting over was the final straw for the bloke next to me. He was an old school city type. As he stood up to exit the train, he looked her up and down in disgust and uttered at her: "Madam - You are disgusting".

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Spot on. My pet hate on the metro and RER trains are the idiots who rush on without letting people get off first. I like to think we're more polite in the UK but someone has mentioned a similar gripe a few pages back.

I trust you are settling in ok SouthCoastOwl :thumbsup:

Settling in very well thanks. I decided on the 18e in the end, up the hill, near Lamarck Caulaincourt and liking it very much. Of course last weekend's food, wine and ale festival on my doorstep really helped. I've been home a few times and Mrs SCO is over this weekend so all is good:cheers:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People who blather on about how good the trains are in other countries?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People who leave unsigned credit cards on trains

Oh yeah, they're bloody annoying. Just lost one card, then you have to go and cancel the second one :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here