Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gooners Warned!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But the 'n' word is used by black people, is it not racist that they can use it but not others?

What are you going to come out with for an encore? You sound like the sort of person who thinks giving consent means not saying no (espcially if she's unconscious). Neanderthal ****

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Matt Lucas was interviewed at half time. It looked pretty clear that most Gooners had no idea who he was, let alone that he's gay.

Some unbelievable posts on this thread. Rather than note that Arsenal were being inclusive today, and move on, some people feel the need to invent a group of enemies whose entire agenda is to be offended on behalf of others, in order to justify their own racism and homophobia. What the very ****? :shrug:

It can't be long before some knob posts the classic 'political correctness gone mad' :facepalm::wrong::lolol:

So dry your eyes, dinosaurs. Your days of lording it about because you're white and thick are gone. You can go on right wing marches and harrass corner shop owners and post videos of 1970s football holiganism (and more recent handbags) but nobody rally cares. Dry your eyes. You are just shills for perverts who get off on your raw ignorance (gay shills, mostly, too). Martin 'sweetie' Webster.....look him up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
:moo:

Last edited:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
:yep, we treat is as offensive. its offensive to be implied to be gay. you dont see any irony to this?moo:

Very obviously that's not what I was saying at all. Their chants are meant to be offensive. I don't think anyone is saying they are offended by being called gay, they are offended by the homophobic sentiments behind the chant. Anyway, I'm not going to go round and round on this - I think [MENTION=10124]Henry[/MENTION] Wilson's Tackle last post summed up my thoughts perfectly.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Matt Lucas was interviewed at half time. It looked pretty clear that most Gooners had no idea who he was, let alone that he's gay.

Some unbelievable posts on this thread. Rather than note that Arsenal were being inclusive today, and move on, some people feel the need to invent a group of enemies whose entire agenda is to be offended on behalf of others, in order to justify their own racism and homophobia. What the very ****? :shrug:

It can't be long before some knob posts the classic 'political correctness gone mad' :facepalm::wrong::lolol:

So dry your eyes, dinosaurs. Your days of lording it about because you're white and thick are gone. You can go on right wing marches and harrass corner shop owners and post videos of 1970s football holiganism (and more recent handbags) but nobody rally cares. Dry your eyes. You are just shills for perverts who get off on your raw ignorance (gay shills, mostly, too). Martin 'sweetie' Webster.....look him up.

this is you being fashionable you've set the world to rights old bean---now you can be happy

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
this is you being fashionable you've set the world to rights old bean---now you can be happy

Nah. I think my head exploded :facepalm::lolol:

I may take an 'Uncle Spielberg' (voluntary ban). I came on here after a very enjoyable trip up north (London) hoping to enjoy match reports and other amusements, and what do I see? Snide comments about minorities. Snide comments about lefties. Insouciant comments about homosexuals. Faux hysteria about foreigners (aka muslims). FFS.

I feel reluctant to criticise someone simply for their ignorance and wrong headedness, but when that ignorance extends to a perceived entitlement to expose their ignorance... like it was a precious jewel....

I am sick and tired of wankers who come on here in order to campaign for a political party (mostly UKIP, some for the Jezza labour) snatching on to any event in the news and putting their pernicious spin on it. I have even condescended to engage politely with some of these weirdos (this is a football forum, and making 98% of your posts about politics is perverse), giving them the benefit of doubt. But, no, they are relentlessly driven by their agendas. Tiresome.

I am quite happy with a bit of robust exchange of views. But the days of hurling buckets of excrement out the upstairs window are long past. I deplore in particular, reasonably educated and comfortably off people who can't stop themselves making third-form wisecracks, exclusively devoted to mocking imaginary 'leftys', followed by the :whistle: symbol. I think my patience has run out. Time to try out the blocking feature favoured by so many. A pity, since I hate censorship. But its hard to drive when some spotty mental midget sitting behind you keeps flicking your ear lobe. :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What are you going to come out with for an encore? You sound like the sort of person who thinks giving consent means not saying no (espcially if she's unconscious). Neanderthal ****

I just want equality to actually be for all, not just those who choose to see themselves as more deserving of it than others.

Modern liberal daffodil! And yes, I am flowerist.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just want equality to actually be for all, not just those who choose to see themselves as more deserving of it than others.

Modern liberal daffodil! And yes, I am flowerist.

I apologise if I have misunderstood your perspective. However, the fact you (by your own volition) think it represents equality for white pople to use the 'n' word just because black people do concerns me. Do you know why black people use the 'n' word? I assume not or you would know why it is not a matter of equality for white people to do so. I can explain for you if you like, but it would be pointless if you were just taking the piss rather than being ignorant. Feel free to let me know.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I apologise if I have misunderstood your perspective. However, the fact you (by your own volition) think it represents equality for white pople to use the 'n' word just because black people do concerns me. Do you know why black people use the 'n' word? I assume not or you would know why it is not a matter of equality for white people to do so. I can explain for you if you like, but it would be pointless if you were just taking the piss rather than being ignorant. Feel free to let me know.

Nice to see a slightly more rational response to my opinion rather than just insults and anger, so I thank you for that. I certainly wasn't taking the pixx, and nor do I believe that I am being ignorant in calling for equality for all rather than just for minority groups. I am open to being informed about the 'n' word just in case I am missing something, although I believe I already understand its full relevance. So please help me to understand further if you wish.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nice to see a slightly more rational response to my opinion rather than just insults and anger, so I thank you for that. I certainly wasn't taking the pixx, and nor do I believe that I am being ignorant in calling for equality for all rather than just for minority groups. I am open to being informed about the 'n' word just in case I am missing something, although I believe I already understand its full relevance. So please help me to understand further if you wish.

OK. Fair enough. I apologise again - to me (I'm nearly 60) this is all commonplace knowledge. Here is one of many intresting articles on the topic.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/the-word-and-why-it-matters

If you don't want to plough through it all, here is the punchline:

Basically, if you’re a part of White culture, just don’t use nigga—and especially not ******. If you’re black, you should decide what you want nigga to mean for you. I think the important thing is that nigga is a word that should remain within the black community, but inevitably, with common use, there is a desensitization of the word and its origins, along with a further integration into White culture. Some, myself included, would consider White culture’s use of the word nigga to be cultural appropriation.

This, unfortunately, is something that is already taking place, which is the one the reasons for me breaking down the use of ****** and nigga in this article. Nonetheless, I have faith that something can be done about it. Perhaps you don’t use the N-word, but I bet you know someone who does, so it’s time to speak up and educate them. It’s as simple as sending this article.

In more recent times, Chris Morris included, in his satire on London luvvies, 'Nathan Barley' a character (white) who cringingly addressed a black colleague as 'my nigga' - as if it were cool. His colleague's face was a picture.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
OK. Fair enough. I apologise again - to me (I'm nearly 60) this is all commonplace knowledge. Here is one of many intresting articles on the topic.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/the-word-and-why-it-matters

If you don't want to plough through it all, here is the punchline:

Basically, if you’re a part of White culture, just don’t use nigga—and especially not ******. If you’re black, you should decide what you want nigga to mean for you. I think the important thing is that nigga is a word that should remain within the black community, but inevitably, with common use, there is a desensitization of the word and its origins, along with a further integration into White culture. Some, myself included, would consider White culture’s use of the word nigga to be cultural appropriation.

This, unfortunately, is something that is already taking place, which is the one the reasons for me breaking down the use of ****** and nigga in this article. Nonetheless, I have faith that something can be done about it. Perhaps you don’t use the N-word, but I bet you know someone who does, so it’s time to speak up and educate them. It’s as simple as sending this article.

In more recent times, Chris Morris included, in his satire on London luvvies, 'Nathan Barley' a character (white) who cringingly addressed a black colleague as 'my nigga' - as if it were cool. His colleague's face was a picture.

We are gonna have to disagree. 'Cultural appropriation'?, others might call it multiculturism, others again might see as section of the black community trying to differentiate themselves from general society, a lack of integration perhaps? In my book equality is for everybody, not just for minorities at the expense of the majority. Anyway.......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We are gonna have to disagree. 'Cultural appropriation'?, others might call it multiculturism, others again might see as section of the black community trying to differentiate themselves from general society, a lack of integration perhaps? In my book equality is for everybody, not just for minorities at the expense of the majority. Anyway.......

Perhaps I pasted the wrong bit. Perhaps I can summarize the whole article better myself (since it seems you are not keen to read it). The N word was used exclusively as a racial slur in the US from slavery days. Context: slavery, followed by Blacks not allowed to vote, and segregation which was legal in the US till the 60s. Lynchings. Have a listen to Strange Fruit by Billie Holliday. Some black people started using the N word in an ironic way. In the 70s, poofs (or homosexuals as they are now known) (I am being ironic) appropriated the word 'queer' in the same way. It is about taking back control (of one's own life) in the face of prejudice, abuse, slavery, tim and tide define the adversity. So when black people use the N word it has a different meaning to when a white person uses the word. Period. Should be clear enough....

As a white male heterosexual, I would feel uncomfortable addressing a black person as 'my nigga', or asking a gay person what's happening in queer society..... Do you get it now?

Black and gay people may or may not 'try to diffrentiate themselves'. This is irrlevant. Indeed, the exact opposite is more likely to be the truth. But any 'minority' may feel it helps sometimes to have a safe space. That can be in the form of language only they use, or company only they keep. Much in the same way, I have my own network, with its own language, syntax and customs, that protects me from the relentless drivel of evidence-free opinion that permeates society at large (I am a scientist by profession, and opinion is worth the square root of **** all in science - and in my view the same should be in life at large - I am NOT a liberal!).

All the best.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

On one hand the argument is that it can as you say be desensitised but clearly it cant be because as you have quoted a white person not using it in a derogatory, nasty or negative way can still cause offence to a black person. So therefore it should not be used by either race otherwise you are just luring decent human beings into awkward situations because they think its desensitised and castigating them instead of worrying about the genuine racists.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Oh dear. Underlying medical and mental health issues can contribute to the causes of obesity. You must surely understand that?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

As I say, for most football fans. they just want a pie and a pint. Their stomachs have seen better days through their own choices.

Most fat people are fat through choice,not through mental health (accept some are)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Generally, when talking about 'equality' in political or sociological terms, it doesn't mean 'treating everyone the same.' It means treating everyone according to their needs in order to give them equal opportunity.

The definition from the Equality and Human Rights Commission says: www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/seco...ces/useful-information/understanding-equality
"Equality is about ensuring that every individual has an equal opportunity to make the most of their lives and talents, and believing that no one should have poorer life chances because of where, what or whom they were born, what they believe, or whether they have a disability. Equality recognises that historically, certain groups of people with particular characteristics e.g. race, disability, sex and sexuality, have experienced discrimination."

Allowing white people the opportunity to use racist language does nothing to achieve the aims spoken of in this definition. The last part of the definition is the complicated bit. It says that equality recognises previous discrimination. Recognising this requires an understanding that there will be responses to discrimination from those who have it acted upon them. These response are large and various, but one of the responses has been to adopt and reclaim the language of those who did the discrimination. The act is basically about those with less power in society taking power for themselves and may make you uncomfortable, but does not impinge upon your own opportunities in any way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here