Papers sent 1,032
Papers returned 834 80.8%

Drivers strike ballot

So 20% couldn't be bothered

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Is that the ASLEF result??

Yes, and this relates to pay and is nothing to do with DOO.

ASLEF: Southern & Gatwick Express pay

13 July 2017

ASLEF members on Southern Railways and Gatwick Express have voted overwhelmingly for strike action in a pay dispute with the company.

Yes 514 [61.8%]
No 318 [38.2%]

Are you prepared to take part in industrial action short of a strike?

Yes 654 [78.4%]
No 180 [21.6%]

http://www.aslef.org.uk/article.php?group_id=5648

----------------------------------

Haven't they voted 'overwhelmingly' in favour of action short of a strike? Why go straight to strike when that isn't what the majority of members want?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yes, and this relates to pay and is nothing to do with DOO.

ASLEF: Southern & Gatwick Express pay

13 July 2017

ASLEF members on Southern Railways and Gatwick Express have voted overwhelmingly for strike action in a pay dispute with the company.

Yes 514 [61.8%]
No 318 [38.2%]

Are you prepared to take part in industrial action short of a strike?

Yes 654 [78.4%]
No 180 [21.6%]

http://www.aslef.org.uk/article.php?group_id=5648

----------------------------------

Haven't they voted 'overwhelmingly' in favour of action short of a strike? Why go straight to strike when that isn't what the majority of members want?

You couldn't make it up! So they are getting offered an eye watering 20something percent pay increase but are turning it down over safety grounds but now they are preparing to strike because they aren't paid enough.

They don't only want the cake to eat they want to throw it back up again and fling it at the commuter!

Funny this is happening once again as we approach the school holidays.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You couldn't make it up! So they are getting offered an eye watering 20something percent pay increase but are turning it down over safety grounds but now they are preparing to strike because they aren't paid enough.

They don't only want the cake to eat they want to throw it back up again and fling it at the commuter!

The strike is not about pay. It is about safety. Nobody in their right mind would turn down a 24% pay rise. The press are reporting what GTR have said, which is untrue.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Jesus f******* wept - if you haven't got the message that it's not the money but the terms of the offer that are the issue by now then there's no hope. The monetary offer is great but we will not agree to a pay rise in return for DOO. If they come back with a pay rise of 75% I will still not accept it.
And if you think that drivers want to lose several days pay so that they can have an extra day off then you are even more deluded than I thought.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The strike is not about pay. It is about safety. Nobody in their right mind would turn down a 24% pay rise.

The DOO strike is about safety. This vote is about pay. They need to make their minds up. Do they want a pay rise or do they want to stay in bed with their RMT chums?

Once again the only loser out of it all will be the train user.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The DOO strike is about safety. This vote is about pay. They need to make their minds up. Do they want a pay rise or do they want to stay in bed with their RMT chums?

Once again the only loser out of it all will be the train user.

No, they don't want a pay rise because it is a bribe to accept DOO.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Jesus f******* wept - if you haven't got the message that it's not the money but the terms of the offer that are the issue by now then there's no hope. The monetary offer is great but we will not agree to a pay rise in return for DOO. If they come back with a pay rise of 75% I will still not accept it.
And if you think that drivers want to lose several days pay so that they can have an extra day off then you are even more deluded than I thought.

Calm down dear. I appreciate you believe it isn't about pay. But my comment was about this vote. I wrongly assumed it was about the DOO dispute but was puzzled as to why the gap between accepting it and not was getting bigger not smaller when the offer is far far far better.

I'm pointing out that if you want a pay rise then accept the offer on the table. You are just making yourself look like twats by starting up separate industrial action about the one thing you are getting offered.

And yes these things do seem to coincide with school holidays. May be a coincidence but the cynic in me suggests not.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
So compromise only works one way?? Thought as much.

2 seconds to check 24 doors at each station, with outdated cameras. Some platforms are curved, and the rolling stock too old.
Anyone dies through an accident and the driver goes to jail. Yep, some compromise.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm a Southern rail user and I'm not taking a stand. I am thoroughly sick of the whole thing and think both are as bad as each other.

Don't generalise.......

It's an Aslef video, not my words. I do hope that ABCommuters win in the High Court, though because many passengers have given money to take GTR, and the DfT to a legal decision.

Edit to add Chris Grayling was ordered by the judge to produce a report by today.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It's an Aslef video, not my words. I do hope that ABCommuters win in the High Court, though because many passengers have given money to take GTR, and the DfT to a legal decision.

Do you seriously think that will make any difference? That GTR will just roll over?

A "win" as you describe it will just intensify the argument and lead to the whole thing being more bogged down the courts, while us commuters continue to suffer.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Do you seriously think that will make any difference? That GTR will just roll over?

A "win" as you describe it will just intensify the argument and lead to the whole thing being more bogged down the courts, while us commuters continue to suffer.

The government could sack Southern and should do. They should never have been given the franchise in the first place.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Calm down dear. I appreciate you believe it isn't about pay. But my comment was about this vote. I wrongly assumed it was about the DOO dispute but was puzzled as to why the gap between accepting it and not was getting bigger not smaller when the offer is far far far better.

I'm pointing out that if you want a pay rise then accept the offer on the table. You are just making yourself look like twats by starting up separate industrial action about the one thing you are getting offered.

And yes these things do seem to coincide with school holidays. May be a coincidence but the cynic in me suggests not.

ASLEF don't help themselves when they use wording like 'pay dispute' in their OWN literature. I 100% believe [MENTION=1332]Deadly Danson[/MENTION] when he says it's not about pay, but his and his colleagues cause is not helped when their own union puts that out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here