Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Rail industry courses and training to build your career

Once you’ve started work as a train driver, you’ll undergo nine to 18 months of training. Your training will be split into stages, which include:

Rules and regulations – driver cab controls, signalling systems and track safety
Traction knowledge – engine layout, safety systems and fault identification
Train handling – 200 to 300 hours' practical driving skills, including night driving
Route knowledge – route-specific information, such as braking distances, speed restrictions and signal positions.

taken form Plotr.

I say let's get going with it now, plenty of folks who are actually WILLING to WORK.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Rail industry courses and training to build your career

Once you’ve started work as a train driver, you’ll undergo nine to 18 months of training. Your training will be split into stages, which include:

Rules and regulations – driver cab controls, signalling systems and track safety
Traction knowledge – engine layout, safety systems and fault identification
Train handling – 200 to 300 hours' practical driving skills, including night driving
Route knowledge – route-specific information, such as braking distances, speed restrictions and signal positions.

taken form Plotr.

I say let's get going with it now, plenty of folks who are actually WILLING to WORK.

Good idea, when they pass out they can join aslef.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What part of Sussex does that pass through ?

#geographicallyilliterate

The poster mentioned he was talking to someone who is training drivers for new trains. Where did he mention it was Southern trains? Just said "the new trains". What difference does it make where they are (except crew seem more willing to work in other parts of the country :) )? Hampshire, London, Yorkshire, Sussex. Train driver is a train driver. HS2 may be an easier route perhaps.

#missedthepointutterly

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The poster mentioned he was talking to someone who is training drivers for new trains. Where did he mention it was Southern trains? Just said "the new trains". What difference does it make where they are (except crew seem more willing to work in other parts of the country :) )? Hampshire, London, Yorkshire, Sussex. Train driver is a train driver. HS2 may be an easier route perhaps.

#missedthepointutterly

Possibly, but going back to your own post #6061, I bet a lot of the training is specific to a) the type of train and b) the specific route. As I understand it (will happily defer to one of our resident train drivers on this like [MENTION=1332]Deadly Danson[/MENTION] ) a fair chunk of the training time is eaten up by just learning the routes, so add in the train-specific stuff I doubt it's that easy to switch from say the Yorkshire Dales to the L2B line.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Possibly, but going back to your own post #6061, I bet a lot of the training is specific to a) the type of train and b) the specific route. As I understand it (will happily defer to one of our resident train drivers on this like [MENTION=1332]Deadly Danson[/MENTION] ) a fair chunk of the training time is eaten up by just learning the routes, so add in the train-specific stuff I doubt it's that easy to switch from say the Yorkshire Dales to the L2B line.

I would agree with that. Although for a job that the government careers website sites as not needing GCSE's for I really can't see it as being too hard to find and train WILLING drivers.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

They have to do so many hours with a driver instructor and good luck finding an instructor on SASTA right now

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Do you ever see an end to not only the strike action but the useless unreliable timetable?

Do you know if all industrial action stopped this minute there is so much bad feeling between staff and management as well as being so short of staff as they've left rather than work for SASTA it would take years to rectify. Unless Horton and co were booted out and DOR given SASTA to run with proper managers able to engage and run a railway for the benefit of the passengers, then as in football the new managers bounce might go someway to changing things

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Do you know if all industrial action stopped this minute there is so much bad feeling between staff and management as well as being so short of staff as they've left rather than work for SASTA it would take years to rectify. Unless Horton and co were booted out and DOR given SASTA to run with proper managers able to engage and run a railway for the benefit of the passengers, then as in football the new managers bounce might go someway to changing things
To support this view, the 2 best performing rail operating units, in punctuality terms, are London Rail (north) and Merseyrail Electrics. Merseyrail is operated under vertical integration (the operator is also responsible for infrastructure maintenance) and is specified and overseen by Merseytravel, the public sector planning body for transport on Merseyside.
London Overground is specified and managed by TfL rather than by the DfT.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
season ticket compensation.

Spoke to them today.

As previously posted , today is the first day and the initial batch of letters / emails will go out.

Bloke was a bit vague and said that this will happen for 2 weeks to a month or so. If no letter then you will need to apply but details to be released.

I've spoke to them a few times about this and each time get given different but equally vague answers.

Certainly seem to be stringing it out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here