Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wot no train thread?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Any SASTA employee such as [MENTION=1332]Deadly Danson[/MENTION] signs a contract to adhere to the rule book and one of the things is that you must not criticise or do anything on social media etc or talk to the press without permission if it concerns SASTA, enough employees have been sacked during the dispute already so why should DD put his livelihood at risk ? Would any of you ?

Now that is nonsense!

He spends half his life on here criticising SASTA and even posting copies of internal comm's.

Telling the club anonymously what he knew, (which I assume any other employee knows) so long as it was factual is not going to put him at any risk

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
the Government needs to bang some heads together and stop letting Southern get away with it.

But the government are in bed with Southern, there might be some banging but it won't be heads.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Simplified example:

Southern need 100 full-time drivers to run a normal service.
Southern employ 80 full-time drivers and rely on them doing voluntary overtime to run.
Southern treat drivers like dirt, drivers chose not to do voluntary overtime.
Not enough drivers to run trains, Southern run a reduced schedule and then make further cancellations.

Southern cash DfT paycheck.

But the trains did run, who was driving them, ghosts? They just did not stop to pick up passengers, lack of guard due to sniffleitis would be the educated guess.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
But the trains did run, who was driving them, ghosts? They just did not stop to pick up passengers, lack of guard due to sniffleitis would be the educated guess.

I know you're a STUPID idiot but if a train is booked to run empty it runs empty, it wouldn't have a guard booked on it so it would not be allowed to pick up passengers and DOO is not permitted between Brighton/Lewes/Brighton

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This, completely. What was different yesterday from previous evening matches where SASTA have held their hands up in surrender by 4.30pm and the club have had at least a sporting chance of putting together a costly contingency plan by laying on some buses to help the fans get home? Did staff walk off halfway through their shift or something? Or did SASTA just not bother contacting the club for reasons best known to themselves? The club really needs to go on the attack bigtime against that wretched company. It's just not fit for purpose.

Erm .. what about our delightful Transport Manager? Is he that switched off that he won't proactively check arrangements or does he really assume all is OK if he hasn't been told it isn't

Sorry, even for the dunce that he is, that is implausible

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Erm .. what about our delightful Transport Manager? Is he that switched off that he won't proactively check arrangements or does he really assume all is OK if he hasn't been told it isn't

Sorry, even for the dunce that he is, that is implausible

Good point, well made. Forgot about him.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
That was the same the night before.... and I suspect most nights these days. And on my 3 most recent trips to London when they have run trains on time, they've been poxy 4 carriage jobs. My sympathies tend to lie more with the staff than their profiteering bosses but, either way, the Government needs to bang some heads together and stop letting Southern get away with it.

A government ‘hit squad’ was sent in to struggling Southern Rail today to tackle the chaos suffered by passengers.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling put one of the most experienced figures in the rail industry in charge of a team of experts to investigate delays and cancellations.

It will have £20 million to spend on improvements at pinch points, such as extra staffing at key stations and quicker upgrades of worn out tracks.

The team will “bang heads” at both Southern and track operators, Network Rail, to force them to work together on problems rather than passing the buck.

“I want the Southern network to be run by a team of people who work together to make sure passengers get decent journeys and that problems are dealt with quickly,” ordered Mr Grayling.

Date: 1st September 2016 :annoyed:

I know you're a STUPID idiot but if a train is booked to run empty it runs empty, it wouldn't have a guard booked on it so it would not be allowed to pick up passengers and DOO is not permitted between Brighton/Lewes/Brighton

With such a reply you lose the right to call anyone stupid.

Stupid here defines anyone who thinks the correct answer is for an empty train to leave 1000's including old, young and infirm on a cold platform with no way home when a they could be accommodated on a journey of less than 10 minutes to Lewes. So what if there is no conductor. Who has ever seen one anyhow? As for your flawed (Ok I use that term with risk of it being better discussed on a different thread) argument for the need for guards to shut the doors, but at the Amex on match days there are dozens of railway staff and police to ensure punters are safely on the trains. They do this every week, whilst the guard sits in that bit of train on this own (that could easily squeeze in another 20) in with the driver or at the back of the train, offering zero assistance.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
With such a reply you lose the right to call anyone stupid.

Stupid here defines anyone who thinks the correct answer is for an empty train to leave 1000's including old, young and infirm on a cold platform with no way home when a they could be accommodated on a journey of less than 10 minutes to Lewis. So what if there is no conductor. Who has ever seen one anyhow? As for your flawed (Ok I use that term with risk of it being better discussed on a different thread) argument for the need for guards to shut the doors, but at the Amex on match days there are dozens of railway staff and police to ensure punters are safely on the trains. They do this every week, whilst the guard sits in that bit of train on this own (that could easily squeeze in another 20) in with the driver or at the back of the train, offering zero assistance.

A reply stupid beyond belief, there are rules to running a railway you know

A reply stupid beyond belief, there are rules to running a railway you know

The sad thing is, is that I honestly believe thats how yourself and many similar minded people think.

Sully Sullenberger was not adearing to the rules when he landed an aeroplane on a river, but it was clear that option was better than the alternative.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

DOO not permitted cos of you sad toxxers, so the guard fails to show due to 'sniffles' and the train cannot stop.

Ernest, look more closely, it is you and DD here being called to account. The pair of you slag off Southern non stop on here, but when offered the opportunity to help fellow Albion fans, some old, some young and some disabled, in a CONFIDENTIAL manner you suddenly start hiding behind some notion of contractual obligations not allowing it to happen.

Only two sad union relics left over from the 70's looking stupid right now :tosser:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
DOO not permitted cos of you sad toxxers, so the guard fails to show due to 'sniffles' and the train cannot stop.

Ernest, look more closely, it is you and DD here being called to account. The pair of you slag off Southern non stop on here, but when offered the opportunity to help fellow Albion fans, some old, some young and some disabled, in a CONFIDENTIAL manner you suddenly start hiding behind some notion of contractual obligations not allowing it to happen.

Only two sad union relics left over from the 70's looking stupid right now :tosser:

Time you went DOWN under before you make an even BIGGER idiot of yourself

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Last night allegedly there was a 30k attendance of tickets sold however clearly there wasn't 30k in the stadium.

So of the no shows I wonder if the club is trying to find out for what reason they do not attend or is the answer very obvious ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Time you went DOWN under before you make an even BIGGER idiot of yourself

Still not addressing how you can criticise Southern non stop for months but hide behind some unenforceable rule when asked to help the general public? Pathetic.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How about a coordinated social media 'attack' - in the nicest sense of the word - on Southern's Twitter account before either the next home game or evening fixture? If 'x' hundred/thousand of us all contact them at the same time (e.g. 2pm for an evening game) asking the exact same question, then their team should have to give a consistent answer. The eternal optimist in me hopes that it might stir the management into some form of positive action to help people get home. Not a rail replacement bus, but a rail supplementary bus service.

Just riffing here. Probably badly, as my per my guitar playing.

Southern social media is outsourced to an outfit in Ireland, and will just check national rail and see a train is confirmed to run and repeat. They are not much use

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I think that's unfair. [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1332]Deadly Danson[/MENTION] already share with us lot on here a pretty candid insight into what is going on behind the scenes, including the posting of some internal documents. By posting them on here, it allows anyone to bring these to the club's attention as appropriate. I don't think it's right that anyone be asked to go any further than that and risk their livelihoods.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think that's unfair. [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1332]Deadly Danson[/MENTION] already share with us lot on here a pretty candid insight into what is going on behind the scenes, including the posting of some internal documents. By posting them on here, it allows anyone to bring these to the club's attention as appropriate. I don't think it's right that anyone be asked to go any further than that and risk their livelihoods.

But they are contradicting themselves. Putting internal documents on here and posting hundreds of critical statements and allegations will be far more damaging to them than telling the club the facts of what led to last night's chaos (which would be kept anonymous anyway) No court/tribunual in the land will support any kind of disciplinary action for doing that.

The fact that they come on here and routinely "slag off" SASTA is by far the more serious offence imo

Doesn't add up one iota

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Defending the indefensible? Lot's of thumbs up for him and none for you......

This isn't Facebook measured in likes but now we know what gets you going

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here