Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
If ever there was an argument to tip me towards supporting DOO it's tonight. I'm being delayed even more than I should be because conductors are stuck all over the place!

I would have thought it was an argument for having enough staff so the guard and driver can keep more or less together throughout the shift. Or for having spares ready to go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I would have thought it was an argument for having enough staff so the guard and driver can keep more or less together throughout the shift. Or for having spares ready to go.

Is that how it used to work?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If ever there was an argument to tip me towards supporting DOO it's tonight. I'm being delayed even more than I should be because conductors are stuck all over the place!
Thats the thing. These are the emergency or special circumstances that "southern" are talking about in running a train without a guard.

They are having none of it. They know eventually the job will be phased out. Guess what guys its called TECHNOLOGY.

Now I ****ing hate southern but I also hate the guards making a bad situation a whole lot worse.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Thats the thing. These are the emergency or special circumstances that "southern" are talking about in running a train without a guard.

They are having none of it. They know eventually the job will be phased out. Guess what guys its called TECHNOLOGY.

Now I ****ing hate southern but I also hate the guards making a bad situation a whole lot worse.

What is this amazing technology of which you speak?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I have been on plenty of DOO and I survived. Im quite happy to take my chances. Im sure millions of others are as well.

I think of all the arguments I keep hearing this is the one that annoys me the most. Guess what - I've been driving cars for 25 years and never needed my seatbelt yet but I still wear it, I fly regularly and have never needed the emergency skills of the cabin crew, I've never needed a lifeboat, a lifeguard at a pool, stewards at the football, etc etc. But we have these safety mechanisms in place for the times that you do need them. You could go the rest of your life without incident on a DOO train or like just this last Sunday, when someone apparently fell down between the train and the platform at Clapham out of view of the driver's crappy monitors on a DOO train and was only spotted by platform staff, you may need that trained guard on your next trip. If that train had been at a unmanned station that could well have been fatal. Or maybe she would have been lucky and another passenger would have spotted her- who knows? DOO isn't intrinsically unsafe but it is definitely LESS safe and why would anyone want to move to a system that is less safe. I can tell you that drivers are resolutely behind the guards.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think of all the arguments I keep hearing this is the one that annoys me the most. Guess what - I've been driving cars for 25 years and never needed my seatbelt yet but I still wear it, I fly regularly and have never needed the emergency skills of the cabin crew, I've never needed a lifeboat, a lifeguard at a pool, stewards at the football, etc etc. But we have these safety mechanisms in place for the times that you do need them. You could go the rest of your life without incident on a DOO train or like just this last Sunday, when someone apparently fell down between the train and the platform at Clapham out of view of the driver's crappy monitors on a DOO train and was only spotted by platform staff, you may need that trained guard on your next trip. If that train had been at a unmanned station that could well have been fatal. Or maybe she would have been lucky and another passenger would have spotted her- who knows? DOO isn't intrinsically unsafe but it is definitely LESS safe and why would anyone want to move to a system that is less safe. I can tell you that drivers are resolutely behind the guards.

Weirdly there's at least 3 fatalities mentioned on this page on conductor based services too though. Is it that much safer in reality ?

Diablo

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
...why would anyone want to move to a system that is less safe ?

Because the powers that be consider it to be safe enough as do the majority of travellers......However many Staff you have on trains,accidents/problems will arise . I`m sure more than 99% of travellers would be happy to travel on DOO trains.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So here we are the 5.57 to Brighton cant leave London Bridge because there is no guard. Now this is a DOO route AND a DOO train but due to the luddites not agreeing we are now ****ing stuck because the guard isnt here.

Yes I get he may be delayed but even so. It could ****ing go but no. Thanks to the guards not letting a perfectly able train leave without one of them on board. Ridiculous.

You're being LIED to as there is an agreement in place when a train from London to Brighton can run DOO for occasions like this

Yoda

English & European
Weirdly there's at least 3 fatalities mentioned on this page on conductor based services too though. Is it that much safer in reality ?

You may want to read that post from [MENTION=1332]Deadly Danson[/MENTION] again. The one he was talking about WAS a DOO service.

Yoda

English & European
...why would anyone want to move to a system that is less safe ?

Because the powers that be consider it to be safe enough as do the majority of travellers......However many Staff you have on trains,accidents/problems will arise . I`m sure more than 99% of travellers would be happy to travel on DOO trains.

And as has already been brought to our attention, those powers that be own/run the TOC's. Of course they will deem it safe as it means less expenditure.

Diablo

Sep 22, 2014
lewes
You're being LIED to as there is an agreement in place when a train from London to Brighton can run DOO for occasions like this

Rather destroys your argument then regarding all about safety..There`s an agreement in place to let trains go where guard fails to turn up ??....So it`s not about safety. It is have a guard when Guard available but when no guard available ok to go Driver only !!!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Rather destroys your argument then regarding all about safety..There`s an agreement in place to let trains go where guard fails to turn up ??....So it`s not about safety. It is have a guard when Guard available but when no guard available ok to go Driver only !!!

No it doesn't DESTROY any argument except the argument that you're NOT stupid when you patently are. TMLS is being DUPED and can't see it beyond his SEETHING fury to blame the RMT

Diablo

Sep 22, 2014
lewes
No it doesn't DESTROY any argument except the argument that you're NOT stupid when you patently are. TMLS is being DUPED and can't see it beyond his SEETHING fury to blame the RMT

So your statement, not my reply makes me stupid. I imagine anyone who disagrees with you is stupid in your mind. Stupid of me to think otherwise!
Might you be the stupid one ?? or might you be so stupid you don`t know how stupid you are ???

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
So your statement, not my reply makes me stupid. I imagine anyone who disagrees with you is stupid in your mind. Stupid of me to think otherwise!
Might you be the stupid one ?? or might you be so stupid you don`t know how stupid you are ???

If you disagree with him he just abuses you...that kind of sums up all you need to know about his intelligence

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

well someone isnt telling us the full story. running DOO trains without a second safety person in exceptions circumstances is the outstanding issue that RMT and Southern cant agree on, so if such an agreements are in place now, why cant this be extended to cover a wider range of services?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
well someone isnt telling us the full story. running DOO trains without a second safety person in exceptions circumstances is the outstanding issue that RMT and Southern cant agree on, so if such an agreements are in place now, why cant this be extended to cover a wider range of services?

Because it is a carefully worded agreement and not something that SASTA can abuse at will which is why they want to change the rules to suit themselves

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
When did other trains go doo and why did unions accept this. Just hope guards are not paid while on strike.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here