Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes. It would have saved a lot of silly buggering about, arguments wasting Parliamentary time and tax payers' money and the tax payers' money we had to waste on legal arguments to quash that ghastly attention seeking rich woman who wanted to drag Brexit through the courts to try and delay or stop it. Might have focussed the negotiators on both sides to get their heads together and negotiate a bit quicker, instead of giving them the time and space to get them into the mess they're in now, where both sides need their heads banging together.

Theresa could have saved a bit of time and money by not taking it to an appeal.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

And there are 17M plus good reasons why she couldn't do that. She's no great favourite of mine, being life-long pro-Labour (I sided with Tony Benn by voting No in 1975) but at least she respected the majority decision in the referendum and therefore had no choice but to appeal. Should have gone for costs, on behalf of us, the tax payers, against that Miller woman.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And there are 17M plus good reasons why she couldn't do that. She's no great favourite of mine, being life-long pro-Labour (I sided with Tony Benn by voting No in 1975) but at least she respected the majority decision in the referendum and therefore had no choice but to appeal. Should have gone for costs, on behalf of us, the tax payers, against that Miller woman.

There was one good reason she should not have done it, the decision of the High Court.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

She could have saved even more tax payers money if she followed the law in the first place.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There was one good reason she should not have done it, the decision of the High Court.
Would that be the decision of the High Court that was overturned by the Appeal Court? You'll have a hard job arguing that a successful appeal was a mistake to go for.

Anyway, 17M plus to one...........I'd take that any day!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
She could have saved even more tax payers money if she followed the law in the first place.
Yes. She should have signed the f**kin' thing (like Cameron should have done before flouncing off with his tail between his legs) before some rich busy body decided to cost her fellow tax payers (assuming she does pay tax - or does she employ a very tricky accountant?) a shed load of money by taking a spurious, ultimately unsuccessful (she failed to stop Brexit), but very attention seeking, case to law.
'She shouldn't have done that' wouldn't even have been a case.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He was in a panic because Brexit will lead to a Corbyn government without checks and balances.

Ah yes, here we go again. Remainer confuses the words 'will' and 'might'. Heseltine is a classic example of 'old has-been who doesn't matter a toss any more'.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No, The Supreme Court did not rule that Article 50 is revocable or not, merely that once Article 50 was invoked, having been voted for by parliament to do so, that vote was done on the understanding by MP's, that it would not subsequently be revoked. In practise it could still technically be revoked by another act of parliament being passed to do so.

And yet in the judgement the court said

In these proceedings, it is common ground that notice under article 50(2) (which we shall call “Notice”) cannot be given in qualified or conditional terms and that, once given, it cannot be withdrawn………. It follows from this that once the United Kingdom gives Notice, it will inevitably cease at a later date to be a member of the European Union and a party to the EU Treaties.

Even so, it’s a rather obsolete argument now anyway talking about withdrawing the notice. Remainers and remainer MP`s are very keen to point out they respect the democratic referendum result to Leave and respect the subsequent democratic parliamentary votes to start the process of leaving,but it is all about, they say, securing the best terms of our withdrawal in the negotiations.
If you respect the democratic process to Leave then withdrawal of notice shouldn’t even be in your vocabulary. Unless of course you don’t respect the democratic process at all.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So it's because she's a woman! I hadn't even considered the race implications, surely they don't play a part in why someone would dislike her do they? Just misogyny then.
Right - because racism isn't a factor in it. Wrong - because misogyny has nothing to do with it either.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Right - because racism isn't a factor in it. Wrong - because misogyny has nothing to do with it either.

I just find her to be an attention seeking so and so that comes across as someone who has always had their way, and considers herself right in everything and above others, not something i find particularly attractive in people.
Ive never heard a leaver mention her colour but frequently hear remainers highlighting that she is not white to imply a dislike of her is racist.
Not sure why they constantly need to highlight her colour,its of no consequence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just find her to be an attention seeking so and so that comes across as someone who has always had their way,and considers herself right in everything and above others, not something i find particularly attractive in people.
Ive never heard a leaver mention her colour but frequently hear remainers highlighting that she is not white to imply a dislike of her is racist.
Not sure why they constantly need to highlight her colour,its of no consequence.

Well, like her or not she was right.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
And yet in the judgement the court said

In these proceedings, it is common ground that notice under article 50(2) (which we shall call “Notice”) cannot be given in qualified or conditional terms and that, once given, it cannot be withdrawn………. It follows from this that once the United Kingdom gives Notice, it will inevitably cease at a later date to be a member of the European Union and a party to the EU Treaties.

Even so, it’s a rather obsolete argument now anyway talking about withdrawing the notice. Remainers and remainer MP`s are very keen to point out they respect the democratic referendum result to Leave and respect the subsequent democratic parliamentary votes to start the process of leaving,but it is all about, they say, securing the best terms of our withdrawal in the negotiations.
If you respect the democratic process to Leave then withdrawal of notice shouldn’t even be in your vocabulary. Unless of course you don’t respect the democratic process at all.

I agree it's totally obsolete at present, but an act of parliament could enable the revoking Article 50 should the democratic will of the people call for one. The Murder (Abolition of Death Penalty) Act 1965 abolished hanging for example. A further act of parliament, lets say - The Murder and Universal Credit Justice (Restoration of Death Penalty for Conservative and Unionist, Brexit supporting, public school educated people ) Act 2019 could solve all our problems in this country quite easily. Nothing has to last forever.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
http://www.politico.eu/article/merkel-has-no-doubt-eu-and-uk-can-clinch-brexit-deal

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Friday she was confident Britain and the rest of the EU could reach a good deal on Brexit “if we are all clear in our minds.”

“From my point of view, there are absolutely no signs that we can’t succeed,” Merkel said early Friday morning after the first day of an EU summit in Brussels.

“If we are all clear in our minds, I have absolutely no doubt that we can reach a good result,” she told reporters.

“What I find it hard to understand, when we need a result by March 2019, is why people are already talking in October 2017 about what might happen at the end of the process,” Merkel said.

The veteran chancellor said there had been progress in the Brexit talks so far but it was not sufficient to move to the second phase, on the future relationship between Britain and the EU.

“I believe, in contrast to the way things are portrayed in the British press, that things are progressing step by step,” Merkel said.

“We’re in a process, and if it goes on for two or three weeks longer, or even longer, that doesn’t stop us from working hard to reach the second phase,” she added.

Merkel said the second phase of the talks would be more complicated than the first, on Britain’s financial settlement, citizens’ rights and the Irish border. Both sides would have to move, Merkel said, in order to lay out details of how they envisaged their future relationship.

“We will have to say what our conclusions are if Britain wants this partnership or that partnership,” Merkel said. “And we haven’t reached final clarity on that but that will happen and it will happen within the necessary time period.”

Merkel also stated unambiguously that she did not want Britain and the EU to separate without a deal on their future relationship.

“I very clearly want an agreement, not any kind of unpredictable solution, and we’re working very hard on that,” she said.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Lord H. Is tearful. Never seen that before.

That's the thing with Heseltine. He really actually cares about ordinary British people like me. Not only is he a good Tory - a rarity in itself - he's also a good, public school, Oxbridge Tory complete with stupid, eccentric haircut - you don't get many of them, full stop.

He sort of plays a part in the reason I really got interested in politics when I was younger and joined the Labour Party under John Smith before leaving in 1998. John Smith was the greatest Prime Minister this country never had, but my loathing - utter loathing - of The Conservatives came not from Thatcher but afterwards and what those primarily public school educated, arrogant, Euro sceptic odd-balls did to John Major - another good Tory. I wasn't particularly fussed one-way-or-the-other over Maastricht, but what they did to him, stabbing him in the back and undermining him day-after-day, a bloke born in Brixton, who never went to Oxbridge yet became a Conservative Prime Minister, was partly born out of the fact he wasn't one of them. He was a pleb like me. They wouldn't have done it to Heseltine - he was one of them. It was a disgrace.

Now, 22 years after the 'put up or shut up' leadership challenge, John Redwood has actually won the day and his mindset is more-or-less in charge of this country. It's what terrifies me about Brexit. We're doomed.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes. It would have saved a lot of silly buggering about, arguments wasting Parliamentary time and tax payers' money and the tax payers' money we had to waste on legal arguments to quash that ghastly attention seeking rich woman who wanted to drag Brexit through the courts to try and delay or stop it. Might have focussed the negotiators on both sides to get their heads together and negotiate a bit quicker, instead of giving them the time and space to get them into the mess they're in now, where both sides need their heads banging together.

You will thank Gina Miller one day, remarkable women that saved British Democracy. Now we need a vote for that £1B bung before we hand it to the DUP to take of

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here