Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now we've just gone and contaminated Saturn

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Not content with ruining our own planet with the waste of human endeavour, we've just deliberately polluted another by crashing a craft into it. OK so the fuel would have all burned away before it hit the surface, but there remains the debris scattered over God knows how big an area which does concern me somewhat. Does anyone else feel this way?

The OP must be fishing, given how misinformed his original post is, and the well known benefits to all of human kind from such missions.

The whole reason of crashing it into Saturn was precisely NOT to contaminate space, particularly Saturn's moons. As already mentioned, the entire probe will simply burn up during its decent.

What a plum.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Fake news to divert attention away from the mess the world is in. Better news would be using all the cash to feed, clothe and house flood, hurricane victims in 3 Rd world areas like Bangladesh, Tortuga and Houston. You may say I m a dreamer but I am not the only one. ......

Houston was about to overtake Chicago for the third most populous city in America but now that might take a few years longer.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Is this the answer to landfill sites? We could send up giant skips a sling them into Saturn to disintegrate..

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not content with ruining our own planet with the waste of human endeavour, we've just deliberately polluted another by crashing a craft into it. OK so the fuel would have all burned away before it hit the surface, but there remains the debris scattered over God knows how big an area which does concern me somewhat. Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm guessing you're fishing as I find it hard to believe someone could be so hypocritical and ignorant, but on the off-chance that your "isn't it terrible that humanity is now polluting the cosmos " schtick is real ...

As has been pointed out debris won't be 'scattered all over the surface of Saturn" like wastepaper over the Sussex countryside as the vehicle will disintegrate and the parts burn up long before it gets anywhere near whatever passes for the surface of Saturn. Secondly this was a deliberate decision as they didn't want the vehicle careering round the solar system and potentially colliding with (and polluting with earth bugs) one of the moons, which may contain life.

It's been a useful mission that has greatly contributed to the sum of human knowledge. If it were left to people like you we'd still be living in caves and worshipping the sun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here