Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
12. Pennyroyal Tea - Nirvana. I like Nirvana. They distilled the Pixies and Husker Du together pretty effectively.Never quite got why they were so much bigger than lots of other bands though, even before he shot himself. And killing yourself when you're responsible for a young child is the act of a selfish coward.

Wow. Really? You'll be disappointed with that in the morning.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Wow. Really? You'll be disappointed with that in the morning.

You think? I'm reasonably pleased with it. The language is a bit clunky, yes, but I think it provides a nice contrast.

I'm a bit disappointed with the repetition of "guitar" in the Pantera section, but not enough to edit it.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
You think? I'm reasonably pleased with it. The language is a bit clunky, yes, but I think it provides a nice contrast.

I'm a bit disappointed with the repetition of "guitar" in the Pantera section, but not enough to edit it.

Er...nice contrast to what? Indulge me.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Er...nice contrast to what? Indulge me.

To the light hearted nature of the rest of the review.

Look, this probably isn't the thread for a lengthy discussion about suicide. I intensely dislike the way that the early death of a rock star is so often used as a marketing tool, and seems to be assumed to add "authenticity" and a certain cool factor to that person's music. The reality is sad and squalid, and in the case of suicides often selfish. If you bring children into the world your first and most important job is to try to be around for them. And also to try not to be a junky, I guess.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It nails my feelings about metal too, but as you might have noticed by the list of tracks on my CD2 for spring hall convert, from the other perspective. What I love about metal is that does not have to be taken seriously, it can be about rocking out and having fun and it is a very broad church.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for metal as it goes but I wouldn't argue with someone that said 90% of it is shit.

Metal fans are a weird sort as well (this is a generalisation.) They tend to look ridiculously favourably on acts that churn out the same old shit album after album but accuse anyone of trying something new of being a sell out. This does tend to stifle creativity a touch.

However, a list of my top 10 metal records would be amazng and have plenty of variety.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
a list of my top 10 metal records would be amazing.

Big head. When I liked heavy rock/metal, my favourites were Number of the Beast and If You Want Blood....You Got It. Maybe Ride The Lightning too. Didn't like Venom, Accept or Merciful Fate though. Or the vocalist from Virgin Steele. Manowar were idiots too. So were Ratt and WASP. Very disappointed with the first Queensryche album after their cracking first EP.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Time for the final reveal

21 people signed up of which only one, [MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION], did not show and has not been on the forum since the 4th December. One other person did not receive, whilst 6 others failed to guess their sender.

Received, reviewed (Correctly guessed sender)
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] (Theatre of Trees)
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (deletebeepbeepbeep)
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] (Hans Kraay Fan Club)
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] (Guinness Boy)
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] (Gordon Bennett)
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] (m20gull)
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION] (CorgiRegisteredFriend)
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION] (Staly)
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION] (Flex Your Head)
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION] (Razoo)
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] (Somerset)
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] (Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo)

Received, reviewed, but failed to guess
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION] (South Coast Owl)
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] (Dave Page)
[MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION] (Mowgli37)
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION] (happypig)
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION] (Sully)
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] (tinycowboy)

Sent but never reviewed
[MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION] (Spring Hall Convert)

Did not receive
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION] (Worthingite)
[MENTION=61]Theatre of Trees[/MENTION] (The Buttery Biscuit Base)

'Best of' mix will appear towards the end of the week - I'll post a link once it is done.

Are we all back for the Easter Bunny? If so I don't mind doing the organisation bit again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Time for the final reveal

DID NOT RECEIVE

[MENTION=61]Theatre of Trees[/MENTION] (The Buttery Biscuit Base)

'Best of' mix will appear towards the end of the week - I'll post a link once it is done.

Are we all back for the Easter Bunny? If so I don't mind doing the organisation bit again.

Thats a bit of a PISSER after doing all the work!

Pm me your address if you'd like me to send you a copy of the one I did and the one I received.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Thats a bit of a PISSER after doing all the work!

Pm me your address if you'd like me to send you a copy of the one I did and the one I received.

Many thanks for the offer but it was the luck of the draw - and I made the draw!

Making the 'best of' has at least given me things to listen to. Rather than send me a CD a better idea would be to turn it into a podcast then post it on the mix cloud page so everyone can have a listen. If you, or anybody else wishes to do this then I'll PM you the password for the page.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION] I'm so sorry, I'm still having technical issues (surrounding my laptop now rather than Internet), it's not forgotten and I promise I will fix the issue soon. Whether I have to borrow a laptop to burn it or make you a mix maybe on a usb stick instead I will - the cd rw drive is playing funny ****ers :(
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] - thank you!!!! CD is still sat in my Xbox and listening to it regularly :)

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
To the light hearted nature of the rest of the review.

Look, this probably isn't the thread for a lengthy discussion about suicide. I intensely dislike the way that the early death of a rock star is so often used as a marketing tool, and seems to be assumed to add "authenticity" and a certain cool factor to that person's music. The reality is sad and squalid, and in the case of suicides often selfish. If you bring children into the world your first and most important job is to try to be around for them. And also to try not to be a junky, I guess.

Wasn't looking for a lengthy discussion necessarily & few would argue about the marketing of death (although I struggle to get too excited about it in the greater scheme of things). I was just taken aback by your initial, seemingly definitive, statement on the act of suicide and kids and couldn't in all good conscience let it lie.

Needless to say, I think suicide is slightly more complex than you suggest and that your comment that it is selfish and cowardly (and squalid too apparently) if you are a parent does many a disservice. I leave it there though since it would appear that while you can make an off topic statement in the body of a thread it's not quite the done thing to then query the off topic statement in the same thread...hey ho.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It nails my feelings about metal too, but as you might have noticed by the list of tracks on my CD2 for spring hall convert, from the other perspective. What I love about metal is that does not have to be taken seriously, it can be about rocking out and having fun and it is a very broad church.

Hanging around the thread and remembered to reply. The metal being a broad church thing is interesting because I have just concocted a theory (stay with me, I'm bored). The 10% of metal that people such as me and Staly like may well be a different ACTUAL set of tunes for each of us. Mine? Let's start at Paradise City by GnR and stop for a quick headbang to Ace of Spades. One of the tracks on your CD was Du Hast by Rammstien which I absolutely love. My ex brother-in-law (in general a weasel) was minted and had a surround sound home cinema style thingy. The only time I liked him was when he got some beers out of the fridge and put a live Rammstien DVD on at top volume. And there there's the below (yes I know it's a cover and I prefer it). My guess is that at least half of these nods to metal are not in the 10% Staly likes. Could be wrong of course but an interesting theory for a cold Tuesday night.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
There's also a subgenre of metal you don't mind doing as karaoke when you've had a few drinks. However, we're now in swamp country between irony and subconscious liking. Well, whatever - you'll find Livin On A Prayer and its cousins grazing here.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION] I'm so sorry, I'm still having technical issues (surrounding my laptop now rather than Internet), it's not forgotten and I promise I will fix the issue soon. Whether I have to borrow a laptop to burn it or make you a mix maybe on a usb stick instead I will - the cd rw drive is playing funny ****ers :(
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] - thank you!!!! CD is still sat in my Xbox and listening to it regularly :)

That's okay mate, I look forward to it when it's completed :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here