Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tip

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Blimey Mtoto you and 'my' tipster are preaching from the same hymn book.

This conversation is what drove me to NSC:-

About 5 minutes long from the 28th minute
http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=580&f=2751973

That's no ordinary tipster, that's the legendary Andy Beyer, one of the best-known pundits in the game over there. All the American racecards carry speed figures called "Beyer figures" for every horse's historic form. They are treated with the same respect as Timeform ratings over here, and as the name implies, he invented them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's no ordinary tipster, that's the legendary Andy Beyer, one of the best-known pundits in the game over there. All the American racecards carry speed figures called "Beyer figures" for every horse's historic form. They are treated with the same respect as Timeform ratings over here, and as the name implies, he invented them.

Speaking of legendary tipsters, I'm thinking you'll maybe remember, if you're of a certain age, the Observer's legendary tipster Richard Baerlein? Doyen was the word most commonly used to describe him. Once sent him an entirely unsolicited letter (this was in the days before email) asking for tips on how best to pick a winner at Brighton and he was gracious enough to send me back an entirely unexpected personalised fairly lengthy analysis of what he'd advise. Wish I'd kept the letter now. What an absolute gentleman! Getting all misty-eyed now, also remember phone tipster John Blake who had a remarkably high strike rate and whose huffing'n'puffing recorded messages explaining why his (no more than three) selections had won/not won used to begin 'Just back from Goodwood *wheeze* *cough*'. :bowdown:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well at least I should get some browny points for bringing him to NSC.

I podcast Mr Tony's show every day, once you get into the flow of the show, it's easily the best thing broadcast anywhere.

I shouldn't be surprised, Beyer is the leading authority on horses.
Mr Tony is the archetypal bald cranky old Jewish man.
He doesn't like people so the guests he has on his show, are only his friends.

Beyer, Howard Fineman, Abbe Lowell, James Carville the list goes on.
I guess if you're on first name terms with the President and count him as a golf partner, you're going to be well connected.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Speaking of legendary tipsters, I'm thinking you'll maybe remember, if you're of a certain age, the Observer's legendary tipster Richard Baerlein? Doyen was the word most commonly used to describe him. Once sent him an entirely unsolicited letter (this was in the days before email) asking for tips on how best to pick a winner at Brighton and he was gracious enough to send me back an entirely unexpected personalised fairly lengthy analysis of what he'd advise. Wish I'd kept the letter now. What an absolute gentleman! Getting all misty-eyed now, also remember phone tipster John Blake who had a remarkably high strike rate and whose huffing'n'puffing recorded messages explaining why his (no more than three) selections had won/not won used to begin 'Just back from Goodwood *wheeze* *cough*'. :bowdown:

Indeed a legendary figure in the press room back in the day, and also the man who persuaded The Guardian & Observer to start covering racing in the mid-1960s, having previously ignored it on account of it being linked to betting (and probably a bit of inverse snobbery too). Was too young to read his most famous intro, re Shergar's Derby - "Now is the time to bet like men" - but always loved his copy before I got into the game. It's quite possible that had Baerlein not talked the Guardian into making him its first racing correspondent, I wouldn't now be in the happy position of being the third.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
One of my racing and financial investment tips is never take a tip from the Guardian/ Observer. Obviously have lost out on quite a few over the years but it has become part of my betting strategy.

The way my betting has failed in the last 12 months maybe it is time to take notice!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

A bit more Andy Beyer for you [MENTION=1078]Mtoto[/MENTION], from 26 minutes onwards.

Andy isn't keen on the odds on favourite of the Preakness (23:18 tonight)
He gives a favourable each way nod to:-
Dynamic Impact @ 16/1 & Ride On Curlin @ 10/1

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=580&f=2812883

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
A bit more Andy Beyer for you [MENTION=1078]Mtoto[/MENTION], from 26 minutes onwards.

Andy isn't keen on the odds on favourite of the Preakness (23:18 tonight)
He gives a favourable each way nod to:-
Dynamic Impact @ 16/1 & Ride On Curlin @ 10/1

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=580&f=2812883

Not that surprised he's against the favourite as its Beyer figure was one of the worst for many years. He can be quite defensive about his numbers, for obvious reasons. Personally think he might have forgotten one of the basic rules of speed figs, which is that a good horse can put up a bad number but a bad horse can't put up a good one.
He was a major player in the opposition to synthetic tracks in the US too, as the Beyer figures are less significant than they are on dirt (the races tend to be run differently, with less emphasis on pure speed).
We shall see, however. About nine minutes to post for the Preakness, I'd love to see California Chrome going for the Triple Crown.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Good horsey Ride on Curlin. Nice little e/w winner there.

True, but California Chrome was better. Will be a great occasion if he gets to the Belmont and even better if he could win. Still think Wicked Strong might be the one to beat him in New York though.

Westport to Hove

Sep 29, 2013
True, but California Chrome was better. Will be a great occasion if he gets to the Belmont and even better if he could win. Still think Wicked Strong might be the one to beat him in New York though.

1978 last time the US triple crown was won and We were promoted to the top flight the following season after just falling short the year before...come on CC! Straw clutchers of the Albion diaspora unite!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good horsey Ride on Curlin. Nice little e/w winner there.
Yet more money won on a stat tip.
If only [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] were alive to see it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Back again [MENTION=1078]Mtoto[/MENTION], this time with a Preakness review, Belmont & Triple Crown preview.
Plus a lot of background on California Chrome.
I guess Andy Beyer wasn't available as this time it's with Pat Forde :shrug:

From 16 minutes:-
http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=580&f=2821223

The chaps in the studio mentioned the Preakness Urinal Run, which I'm glad I Youtubed:-

As I'm pretty sure I'm only talking to you [MENTION=1078]Mtoto[/MENTION], let me know if it's not floating your boat, and I'll cease and desist.
I wouldn't want you thinking you have to take a restraining order out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet again the Belmont & the triple crown in the US far more interesting than our Derby, hope CC can finally win a triple crown after so long waiting for a horse to do it
The pundits don't seem too convinced.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Back again [MENTION=1078]Mtoto[/MENTION], this time with a Preakness review, Belmont & Triple Crown preview.
Plus a lot of background on California Chrome.
I guess Andy Beyer wasn't available as this time it's with Pat Forde :shrug:

From 16 minutes:-
http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=580&f=2821223

The chaps in the studio mentioned the Preakness Urinal Run, which I'm glad I Youtubed:-

As I'm pretty sure I'm only talking to you [MENTION=1078]Mtoto[/MENTION], let me know if it's not floating your boat, and I'll cease and desist.
I wouldn't want you thinking you have to take a restraining order out.

Not at all, really appreciate you pointing it out, would never have the time to keep up with it otherwise.

Sadly, I've a feeling they no longer run the Portaloos at Pimlico, though I guess it was only a matter of time before someone got killed.

Was looking at the Belmont in a little more detail earlier on and rewatched the Derby several times. Would love to see CC win but personally I'm still surprised Wicked Strong is nearly twice the price of Ride On Curlin. Stumbled at the start from the worst of the draw in the Derby, ran on well in the straight for a very creditable fourth in the circumstances, and skipped the Preakness which can be a big advantage. Ride On Curlin certainly looks more likely to stay 12 furlongs on paper, but would much rather have Wicked Strong at 11-1 than ROC at 6-1.

Also saw something on Twitter a little while ago which suggested that Danza, third home in Derby and 3rd fav for Belmont, will miss the race.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess this is our last chance [MENTION=1078]Mtoto[/MENTION] & [MENTION=16461]The Brighton Bear[/MENTION], unless CC does the triple crown.

Andy Beyer kicks in after about 14 and a half minutes.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=580&f=2894143

Andy says those of us that lost money on Wicked Strong get it back this Saturday.
With Tonalist and Ride on Curlin for the ew place.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here