Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Russia 2018 WC unfounded fears

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
With the build up to the World Cup being in Russia the predictions were not to go as dangerous or at least you will not be made very welcome, we'll happily none of these predictions so far have materialised more than that just watching the Columbia v Japan game just seen a clip from the crowd all smiles beers in hand both sets of fans mingling no trouble, leaves me thinking have we been feed a load of anti Russia propaganda or is the iron fist of Russia keeping the lid on things?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bit of both probably. Plus, things have changed anyway.

From what I can see, this is looking like it could end up being considered an absolutely classic world cup for all the right reasons.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
With the build up to the World Cup being in Russia the predictions were not to go as dangerous or at least you will not be made very welcome, we'll happily none of these predictions so far have materialised more than that just watching the Columbia v Japan game just seen a clip from the crowd all smiles beers in hand both sets of fans mingling no trouble, leaves me thinking have we been feed a load of anti Russia propaganda or is the iron fist of Russia keeping the lid on things?

All kinds of reasons but the anticipated trouble was always going to be away from the stadiums in Moscow and St Petersburg, and where England were playing. The ticketless have stayed/been kept away.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
shock horror it hasn't happened yet.

Some of the pant pissing on the other thread about it was embarrassing.

F all will happen of note

Right wing conservative authoritarian states keep public order in tourist areas effectively is hardly a big shock

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

think that Putin very much wants a showpiece with no bother ......the vid of 2 thousand England lads singing "vardys on fire" at the fan zone obviously all in very good spirits , unbelievable number of colombians in that crowd ....fair play , probable media bollox from your own mob trying to put England fans off travelling

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
shock horror it hasn't happened yet.

Some of the pant pissing on the other thread about it was embarrassing.

F all will happen of note

From someone who has been to every world cup since 2006 it amuses me before every tournament some smart arse from work / etc says how dangerous it is, going to die, get beaten up blah blah... Usually the same blokes that are whipped and not allowed down the pub for more than 1 after work, let alone go away for a few weeks for a football tournament! Call it jealousy :clap2:

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
From memory there was similar scaremongering before South Africa about carjacking, murders etc and that also went very smoothly

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
think that Putin very much wants a showpiece with no bother ......the vid of 2 thousand England lads singing "vardys on fire" at the fan zone obviously all in very good spirits , unbelievable number of colombians in that crowd ....fair play , probable media bollox from your own mob trying to put England fans off travelling

That video is from Saint Etienne at Euro 2016

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

The one from France?

I think people are right in saying that Putin's got this under control.

However, it's worth noting that yesterday's game in Volgograd was 2,500 miles away, whereas next week's game is in Kaliningrad is only 1,100 miles away - much closer to here than even to Volgograd!

blokes that are whipped and not allowed down the pub for more than 1 after work, let alone go away for a few weeks for a football tournament! Call it jealousy :clap2:

Think my wife probably would be pretty pissed off if I went on holiday without her for a few weeks, same as I would be if she did without me!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

I'd say the mosquitoes in Volgograd were the most unfriendly of the Russians at the WC.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
leaves me thinking have we been feed a load of anti Russia propaganda or is the iron fist of Russia keeping the lid on things?
It's the latter.

What the Russians did in France was not propaganda. Putin even joked about his paid thugs going over there and beating up holiday makers. He's decided that he wants to use this event to pretend that Russia is all cute and cuddly. We didn't know what he'd choose to do though.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Bit of both probably. Plus, things have changed anyway.

From what I can see, this is looking like it could end up being considered an absolutely classic world cup for all the right reasons.

It won't be a proper World Cup until we see an overweight, sunburnt, inebriated Englishman luzzing a chair at some Johnny foreigner. It needs to happen soon or people are going to start losing interest.

That clip that keeps doing the round was taken in France, not Russia.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It won't be a proper World Cup until we see an overweight, sunburnt, inebriated Englishman luzzing a chair at some Johnny foreigner. It needs to happen soon or people are going to start losing interest.

That clip that keeps doing the round was taken in France, not Russia.

yes....that has been ascertained now.....thankyou

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Right wing conservative authoritarian states keep public order in tourist areas effectively is hardly a big shock

I don't remember any trouble at the 1980 Moscow Summer or Sochi Winter games. Authoritarian regimes love this kind of stuff, great propaganda

Just 2500 England there last night, its a long time since so few have attended a game at the World Cup finals

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just 2500 England there last night, its a long time since so few have attended a game at the World Cup finals

Brazil was pretty low too wasn't it ? I think you can still purchase tickets for our Belgium game on the FIFA site

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here