Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went yesterday and the highlight by a mile was sitting next to GM getting the obligatory photo's and a brief chat

It's a place to see and be seen for sure. Very nifty decor and they (attempt to) treat you as a bit special but it all falls very flat. In saying that our waiter was terrific and very attentive. But the rest of front house were miserable, consumed by their own importance and trying to look busy when they weren't.

Trying to fill a wine glass with half a bottle is a big 'no no' in my book ... also having ordered 2 G&T's to get going why start pouring the white wine at the same time?

Me: Tempura Prawns (very nice) fish and chips (poncy presentation and soggy batter)
Mrs: Mozzarella and Peach (OK) Crab Linguine (with virtually no crab)

Prices OK (ish) ... bottle of £14 NZ Sauvignon for £40 is at limit though

Nice touch at end being given a small tart with Happy Birthday on it ... except it was our anniversary

I wont be rushing back but see why it will do well

The penultimate sentence made me chuckle; your delivery of prose is better than their delivery of drinks.

A comprehensive review, thanks. I’m placing this in the same category as places like Browns and Bohemia. And given the strong scene in Brighton I cannot see myself visiting unless as a guest of someone.

And happy birthday :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dont entirely agree.

If your business is to serve food then you have a duty to have appropriate numbers of staff and the necessary procedures in place to reasonably fulfill that demand, it seems a strange mentality to 'pre-tax' a more profitable group of customers ahead of a lesser group, surely the aim would be to just serve them both equally without highliting your inability or unwillingness to be serving a slightly larger group.

If you have a restaurant with thirty covers and that capacity is regularly used then deal with it and celebrate your popularity and its likely profitability, if you are running below capacity then be pleased a group of eight has chosen to significantly increase your usual customer count.

It suggest to me a culture where someone somewhere implemented the charge and offered a pretty damn weak reason for it and it has somehow stuck.

It’s harder for restaurants to deal with larger tables. And if I work harder I’d expect more cash. Equally if I’m more demanding of, or a burden on, a business I would not necessarily be surprised to pay more. This is what it boils down to I guess?

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It’s harder for restaurants to deal with larger tables. And if I work harder I’d expect more cash. Equally if I’m more demanding of a business I would not necessarily be surprised to pay more. This is what it boils down to I guess?

I kinda know that, but there will be many variable costs that effect that restaurants profitability, I would prefer a business to disolve those costs/losses into the overall consequence of running that enterprise, whether its on increased menu prices or other savings somewhere else.

I suspect there would be many examples of how one 'type' of group is less profitable than another, it seems a clumsy way of profiling a group as a burden rather than to appreciate their patronage, especially when many groups do not accept its merits anyway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I kinda know that, but there will be many variable costs that effect that restaurants profitability, I would prefer a business to disolve those costs/losses into the overall consequence of running that enterprise, whether its on increased menu prices or other savings somewhere else.

I suspect there would be many examples of how one 'type' of group is less profitable than another, it seems a clumsy way of profiling a group as a burden rather than to appreciate their patronage, especially when many groups do not accept its merits anyway.

True. But numerous other sectors differentiate on price if you are demanding/more of a burden. I’d say this is fair, and more fair than another standard practice in other industries which is to charge more purely because of a bank holiday etc. The other thing is restaurant pay isn’t that great so I don’t have an issue if I have to pay a bit more because I have brought 5 chums with me.

If I open a restaurant I’ll make sure you get charged the same price regardless of your group.

As an aside there’s a restaurant here which now charges a premium for the exact same set meal on a weekend than weekday.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
True. But numerous other sectors differentiate on price if you are demanding/more of a burden. I’d say this is fair, and more fair than another standard practice in other industries which is to charge more purely because of a bank holiday etc. The other thing is restaurant pay isn’t that great so I don’t have an issue if I have to pay a bit more because I have brought 5 chums with me.

If I open a restaurant I’ll make sure you get charged the same price regardless of your group.

As an aside there’s a restaurant here which now charges a premium for the exact same set meal on a weekend than weekday.

I thought that was pretty standard and is fair enough

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I can see both sides - charge a premium at key times like say cinemas do. Then again you'd be a bit pissed off if Tesco's charged you more for your milk at the weekend !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I see your point. The restaurant in question is high-end and only has a set tasting menu dinner service. It now charges more for popular days. I’ve not come across this particular scenario before.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The penultimate sentence made me chuckle; your delivery of prose is better than their delivery of drinks.

A comprehensive review, thanks. I’m placing this in the same category as places like Browns and Bohemia. And given the strong scene in Brighton I cannot see myself visiting unless as a guest of someone.

And happy birthday :wink:

About right, trying to be what is not delivered, for what you pay for a meal there numerous options in Brighton far better.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Thank you :lolol:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

It's a strange way to do it, we all tend to accept cheaper midweek meal sittings and offers, but not just a simple unilateral more expensive weekend menu of the same stuff.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I see your point. The restaurant in question is high-end and only has a set tasting menu dinner service. It now charges more for popular days. I’ve not come across this particular scenario before.

I'm not so sure why this is so surprising, even if it is new. While it might be a recent development in terms of weekends versus weekdays, it has been pretty much standard practice in terms of lunch versus dinner. I suspect we'll see more of this in the future.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Moving away from the tips binfest for a sec, I have just booked Little Fish Market for Mrs GB’s birthday next week. Should I be excited? Never been but always felt it’s one to tick off....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Basically it is done because large groups take up a lot of space in restaurants and they take a lot of time. Which is no problem. But they typically tip a lot less. When a large group gets their LARGE bill they tend to balk at paying much extra for tips. They have taken up space that a few smaller, better tipping tables could have used and because they tend to be there longer the small tips trickle down through the entire staff.

Of course you can argue that they spend more anyway but that is why they add service charge. It's all to do with tips. It's down to the individual whether they agree with it or not but that's the reason. No lie.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Moving away from the tips binfest for a sec, I have just booked Little Fish Market for Mrs GB’s birthday next week. Should I be excited? Never been but always felt it’s one to tick off....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s great. Certainly the service won’t let you down. He just got rather higher than the hand and flowers so must be going the right way.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

We were there a few weeks ago and thought it was exceptional. We had the wine menu which made it very expensive. Every dish inc the snacks served at the start of the meal were superb, service equally so. Duncan came up from the kitchen at the end of the evening to chat with each table and his passion for his food was very evident. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

I think its becoming more common. Same as michelin restaurants will often do a lunchtime set but only a la carte in the evening/weekends

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Basically it is done because large groups take up a lot of space in restaurants and they take a lot of time. Which is no problem. But they typically tip a lot less. When a large group gets their LARGE bill they tend to balk at paying much extra for tips. They have taken up space that a few smaller, better tipping tables could have used and because they tend to be there longer the small tips trickle down through the entire staff.

Of course you can argue that they spend more anyway but that is why they add service charge. It's all to do with tips. It's down to the individual whether they agree with it or not but that's the reason. No lie.

You still havent convinced me :)

I cannot fathom why any business should balk at a 'larger group', especially if you are in the business where there is a likelyhood of a larger group wishing to use your business regularly.

It shouldn't be for me to directly shoulder the costs for the underpaid dishwasher, waiter or soux chef above what they said we would pay on entering their premises, why would a business wish to burden their own customers with a plea for 'added payment' to cover costs that they themselves haven't done ?

For the record I do pay tips and rarely based on the service provided, usually 10%+ on top of the final bill no matter what, but just being culturally programmed to do so doesnt stop me thinking how illogical it is.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
7 Bone Church Road.

I thought I would post my thoughts in here as I havent seen it covered.

I have been several times since christmas and I have got to say this is a great addition for the Hove scene, well worth checking out if you are local or don't fancy traverlling into Brighton. I would say it is comparable to Meat Liquor on London Road, but for me 7 Bone wipes the floor with it. Great selection of Burgers, sides and a decent drinks menu too. The Buffalo sauce on the wings is possibly the best i have ever had, keeps me going back for more. I would say my last trip was a little disapointing as portions seemed to be on the smaller side and they had run out of onion strings, but I would certainly recommned.

8/10.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
7 Bone Church Road.

I thought I would post my thoughts in here as I havent seen it covered.

I have been several times since christmas and I have got to say this is a great addition for the Hove scene, well worth checking out if you are local or don't fancy traverlling into Brighton. I would say it is comparable to Meat Liquor on London Road, but for me 7 Bone wipes the floor with it. Great selection of Burgers, sides and a decent drinks menu too. The Buffalo sauce on the wings is possibly the best i have ever had, keeps me going back for more. I would say my last trip was a little disapointing as portions seemed to be on the smaller side and they had run out of onion strings, but I would certainly recommned.

8/10.

I agree especially regarding the wings, fantastic food at a very good price.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You still havent convinced me :)

I cannot fathom why any business should balk at a 'larger group', especially if you are in the business where there is a likelyhood of a larger group wishing to use your business regularly.

Having a few times booked a table for 2-4 people at a restaurant and found myself sharing a restaurant with a large group booking, my heart always sinks when this happens. Catering for a large group is invariably - or at least in my experience - detrimental to the dining experience of the other diners in terms of service and general ambience. Or have I just been unlucky on multiple occasions?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here