Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well done to the lads and ladies today! Was following all the NSC'ers that put their bib numbers on that I could on the app.

Serious question - how difficult would it be to get from a literal zero to a marathon in 12 months? I have this feeling that I'm approaching my mid 30s, and I have - HAVE - to get fitter than I am (5"8 and 17 stone). I know that I'd like to do it for a specific charity (MIND, and possibly REMF if they'd have me), and I'm the sort of person that needs pushing - total lack of will power on my own but in a group I have a terrifying fear of letting people down!!!! Is it do able, and if so, how do I start?!? Is it just as easy as popping on a pair of trainers and opening the front door? I tried going for a run last year, but got laughed at by some kids in a car which knocked my confidence a bit (crawling along at 2mph in front of me yelling obscenities!!!).

Genuinely interested, absolutely terrified, but keen to hear if anyone can relate?!?

I'd echo what the others have said - if you want to do it, it's very doable. If you are a complete beginner, would highly recommend the 'couch to 5k' programme to get you started - very simple intro to running over a few weeks that will get you up to 5k distance safely. Search online for it - basically takes you from increasing walk/run intervals using podcasts. Once you're up to 5k you'll be hooked - then move to Saturday parkrun (free and very inclusive for all standards) and see where it takes you. Good luck and keep talking on here !

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Firstly thanks for the comments and following everyone. Yes it's doable but you do have to be dedicated to training.

A year and a quarter ago I started training for the Brighton 10K. I was fifteen and a half stone, mildly alcoholic and was regularly overtaken by pensioners on my first training runs. In fact my first run was a twenty minute mile and a half in old gym trainers that nearly finished me off. BUT - it gets better with every run if you do it regularly. Those first few runs do take bravery if you have confidence issues but I promise you will get better and better. Specific tips:

- join park run. It's a free 5k every Saturday morning. Enter as soon as you think you can get the distance. It's REALLY supportive and I guarantee you won't be the slowest.
- buy proper shoes. Run in Hove, The Jog Shop or Sweat Shop can all sort you out. They're pricey but 100% necessary if you're serious about marathon running
- enter a series of races building up the distance once you're comfortable with parkrun. I moved from 10k to 10 mile to half marathon very gradually. Don't worry about time, if you put the effort in you won't be the slowest.
- not sure where you live but if you are anywhere near the seafront train there. It's flat and there are no cars full of twunts to put you off. And they ARE idiots. People getting fit for the first time are the most inspiring and putting in the most effort.
- If you want to run for REMF they'll have you. I can put you in touch so PM me nearer the time
- post on the Official Running Thread. They are a great bunch of lads and very supportive. We all met up to encourage each other yesterday and have meet ups at other races too

[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] - this says it all from a man who has done it. I look forward to your similarly inspiring story this time next year.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A big WELL DONE to all of you who ran yesterday. An amazing achievement!

Are you doing London? If so good luck and you'll be racing against [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]. Do you have a time in mind? I reckon he'll hover around 3:30 on a good day and on a bad day 3:45. Not sure what the train driver is thinking of doing.:) Glad I'm not in your shoes @ Greg Bobkin. It will take a lot of guts to get to that start line. :bowdown:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
4:17:15 for me also had a bit of cramping around 21 miles managed it carefully till 23 miles then felt OK to carry on. As my first full marathon, can I say it was the most inspirational thing I will probably ever do. Thoroughly enjoyed
Well done all else took part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a phenomenal time on your first marathon. Sub 3 hours next year?

A friend of mine got round in 2:58 which is unbelievable. Has anyone from NSC gone sub 3 hours before?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That's a phenomenal time on your first marathon. Sub 3 hours next year?

A friend of mine got round in 2:58 which is unbelievable. Has anyone from NSC gone sub 3 hours before?

Don't know but I can sense someone is eyeing it up. Good luck!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well done to the lads and ladies today! Was following all the NSC'ers that put their bib numbers on that I could on the app.

Serious question - how difficult would it be to get from a literal zero to a marathon in 12 months? I have this feeling that I'm approaching my mid 30s, and I have - HAVE - to get fitter than I am (5"8 and 17 stone). I know that I'd like to do it for a specific charity (MIND, and possibly REMF if they'd have me), and I'm the sort of person that needs pushing - total lack of will power on my own but in a group I have a terrifying fear of letting people down!!!! Is it do able, and if so, how do I start?!? Is it just as easy as popping on a pair of trainers and opening the front door? I tried going for a run last year, but got laughed at by some kids in a car which knocked my confidence a bit (crawling along at 2mph in front of me yelling obscenities!!!).

Genuinely interested, absolutely terrified, but keen to hear if anyone can relate?!?

Last January I was, I'm sure, the heaviest I've ever been at over 16 stone. After the Christmas and New Year binges, I was focused on getting myself back into shape and I did that with my diet (and alcohol) from January 2nd and then went on my first run (using running shoes I'd had from a previous running adventure a few years before) on January 23rd. By April I was running over 20 miles each week and on April 5th I ran my first half-marathon distance around Worthing. My pace for that half-marathon was significantly quicker than my first very short run on January 23rd.

In the 30 days of June I ran every day (and twice on two days) for a total of 32 runs, covering over 158 miles, climbing nearly 10,000 feet and, according to Strava, burning nearly 30,000 calories. I also did my then half-marathon PB in the same month, taking nearly 10 minutes off my previous best.

I'm massively disappointed that I fell off the running wagon having invested so much into it over 8 months or so, although I know the reasons why I did and I'm back on it again now. It's very hard going again, but already I'm seeing big improvements. It is astounding how our bodies become more efficient so quickly - you will amaze yourself repeatedly.

I'm not a massive fan of structure in any form, and I chose running because I saw it as the easiest exercise to do. As you say, you can just decide to go and you can be out doing it in less than five minutes. There's never been much of a plan to my running other than aiming to do my longest run of the week on a Sunday.

If you are in Worthing, get yourself along to Run which is directly opposite West Worthing station and they'll get you sorted with running shoes to suit your running style. They'll be pricey, but worth it. You will then almost certainly be able to pick up more shoes of the same type online and make a saving if you find you really get on with them and want to stick with them.

Finally, I'm in Worthing and happy to assist if I can. If you want someone to run with every now and again, just let me know and I'm sure we can hook up easily enough. PM me at any time if I can help.

Get going this week if you can - it will be one of the best things you ever do!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Are you doing London? If so good luck and you'll be racing against [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]. Do you have a time in mind? I reckon he'll hover around 3:30 on a good day and on a bad day 3:45. Not sure what the train driver is thinking of doing.:) Glad I'm not in your shoes @ Greg Bobkin. It will take a lot of guts to get to that start line. :bowdown:

I've been giving it a bit of thought this morning, and I think the sensible thing to do is to drop to 9min/miles and aim for sub 4.

But, as yesterday proved, it's just down to how you feel on the day. There is no reason why I should have blown up by 16 miles – I've done longer training runs at a faster pace. Maybe it was the heat, maybe not enough sleep, maybe eating too much/not the right stuff, maybe I wasn't mentally prepared, I really don't know.

In isolation, 4.09 is a decent enough time, but I know I can do better – it's just whether my mind and body will let me prove that next Sunday. Safe to say I won't be challenging [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] though...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Me, yesterday, 5 minutes after finishing, stuck in a hot exit queue with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and about to beg St John's Ambulance for more water: "I'm never doing another marathon."

Me this morning - signed up for Brighton 2017 :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well done everyone!

I didn't see as many Brighton shirts as usual, but greeted those that did. Everyone else I just clapped.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Me, yesterday, 5 minutes after finishing, stuck in a hot exit queue with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and about to beg St John's Ambulance for more water: "I'm never doing another marathon."

A lot of work needed for next year to take that quarter of a second off per mile!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Don't know but I can sense someone is eyeing it up. Good luck!

I'm going to enter the 10k race instead next year. Going to sign up soon so I don't contemplate another marathon.

I think I could get close to 3 hours but not sure I can commit to the additional training I would need to factor in for this.

A year off working on speed for half's and below. I might put in for London 2017 on the off chance though!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

......I thought me showing you the red sore patches up my shorts had put you off.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Yeah, I'm looking as anything 3:30 will be good. If I can jump on the train for a bit and blow the NSC whistle as we fly past the Cutty Sark then it'll be a good day! I'm starting off in the Blue pen so just getting through the crowds will be a job.. but we'll see.

I'm going for a sub 4 at the 3 forts in a couple of weeks so that's really my main focus.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I consider myself a competent runner rather than a good one. Before yesterday I'd only ever run one event before. That was the Brighton Half Marathon the year before, which I completed in rhino costume. Yesterday I upgraded and ran my first (last?) full marathon, also in rhino gear. I was the last of the three rhinos to come home. Finished in 6 hours 8 minutes, which was a shame, as I'd wanted to beat six hours but early on I decided to sacrifice any sense of speed so that I could actually sit back and enjoy the day.

And how...

What a day that was. My wife and I had paid by American Express and gained entry to the hospitality area. No sooner had we got in than I was pretty much pounced on by Zoë Ball, who shook me by the hoof and wanted to know all about "why rhino?" She seemed a bit alarmed to hear that it was my first marathon given the costume.

Then I was grabbed for a radio spot on Juice FM. I suspect I was a pretty poor interview (sorry everybody) but I don't have a PR background, eh?

Then the race began. It was dastardly hot and uncomfortable in there. I downed a litre of Powerade and stopped at every water station from 15 miles on but I really needed it, as I was sweating like a running tap from two miles. I genuinely smelled like a rhino too from about half distance and will need a gallon of Febreze before returning the costume tomorrow.

Through all of that though I was just blown away with the event, the other runners and the crowd. The encouragement was never ending and there was just so much goodwill on display. I pulled over to dispense who knows how many rhino high fives. I stopped near 17 miles to put on a bit of a dance for some locals that had rigged up some music for the runners. I applauded the crowds as I came into the home straight. Basically I show boated the hell out of it. It was wonderful.

I did the whole thing for charity obviously and have managed to rack up over £2 ,000 but it's great that at the end of the months of training and pain and sweat and all that I was able to enjoy the event for myself too. It was wonderful strolling along the beach in costume at the end and having total strangers come up and slap me on the hide or slip some coins (or even notes) in the collecting bucket. A couple of vodkas in Northern Lights and a slap up Thai meal in Kemptown and a couple of bottles of champers followed. It was just a day that I'll never forget.

Now plotting the BM10K next year purely for personal fun. Another excuse to have a great weekend in Brighton, a chance to work on times for a change and obviously keeping up my 100% rate of only running events in my favourite city on earth bar none.

Thank you Brighton & Hove. I adore you.

The following pic is of me from the Brighton & Hove News website. Check out that horn.

image.jpg

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Well done to everyone for yesterday, was a fantastic day.

Did my marshaling stint along New Church Rd, between 17 and 18 miles. Saw quite a few Albion/REMF runners, and gave them a cheer. Nice to give something back , after running the race for several years.

Didn't have any major dramas, though a runner did collapse further up the road from me. Did come round, but got taken to hospital by St Johns anyway. Hope he is OK.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I consider myself a competent runner rather than a good one. Before yesterday I'd only ever run one event before. That was the Brighton Half Marathon the year before, which I completed in rhino costume. Yesterday I upgraded and ran my first (last?) full marathon, also in rhino gear. I was the last of the three rhinos to come home. Finished in 6 hours 8 minutes, which was a shame, as I'd wanted to beat six hours but early on I decided to sacrifice any sense of speed so that I could actually sit back and enjoy the day.

And how...

What a day that was. My wife and I had paid by American Express and gained entry to the hospitality area. No sooner had we got in than I was pretty much pounced on by Zoë Ball, who shook me by the hoof and wanted to know all about "why rhino?" She seemed a bit alarmed to hear that it was my first marathon given the costume.

Then I was grabbed for a radio spot on Juice FM. I suspect I was a pretty poor interview (sorry everybody) but I don't have a PR background, eh?

Then the race began. It was dastardly hot and uncomfortable in there. I downed a litre of Powerade and stopped at every water station from 15 miles on but I really needed it, as I was sweating like a running tap from two miles. I genuinely smelled like a rhino too from about half distance and will need a gallon of Febreze before returning the costume tomorrow.

Through all of that though I was just blown away with the event, the other runners and the crowd. The encouragement was never ending and there was just so much goodwill on display. I pulled over to dispense who knows how many rhino high fives. I stopped near 17 miles to put on a bit of a dance for some locals that had rigged up some music for the runners. I applauded the crowds as I came into the home straight. Basically I show boated the hell out of it. It was wonderful.

I did the whole thing for charity obviously and have managed to rack up over £2 ,000 but it's great that at the end of the months of training and pain and sweat and all that I was able to enjoy the event for myself too. It was wonderful strolling along the beach in costume at the end and having total strangers come up and slap me on the hide or slip some coins (or even notes) in the collecting bucket. A couple of vodkas in Northern Lights and a slap up Thai meal in Kemptown and a couple of bottles of champers followed. It was just a day that I'll never forget.

Now plotting the BM10K next year purely for personal fun. Another excuse to have a great weekend in Brighton, a chance to work on times for a change and obviously keeping up my 100% rate of only running events in my favourite city on earth bar none.

Thank you Brighton & Hove. I adore you.

The following pic is of me from the Brighton & Hove News website. Check out that horn.

View attachment 73741

:bowdown:

Unbelievable effort. I'd rather do two marathons back to back than contemplate yesterday in a costume. Fantastic, well done!

Well done to everyone for yesterday, was a fantastic day.

Did my marshaling stint along New Church Rd, between 17 and 18 miles. Saw quite a few Albion/REMF runners, and gave them a cheer. Nice to give something back , after running the race for several years.

Didn't have any major dramas, though a runner did collapse further up the road from me. Did come round, but got taken to hospital by St Johns anyway. Hope he is OK.

Pretty sure you cheered me on, one of the three REMF runners. Again thanks for your efforts. Amazing how many volunteers helped yesterday, [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] also did a full marshalling stint.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Marathon #4 done for me, #5 will be Eastbourne in October! Yesterday was a nice race to run in, but I'm disappointed with my 3:59:54 time. In context, it's ok - but it's always a shame to run a disappointing time in the home Marathon. I could go and enter Milton Keynes, run a sub 3:30 and nobody would really care because it wasn't Brighton! Either way, it's a good experience for me and should (hopefully) help shape my running discipline in future.

Congrats to [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION] especially, running as a rhino is both beautiful and mental! Congrats to all runners and supporters. :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

attachment.php
I don't know if many did, but I was shouting 'Seagulls!' at you.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I don't know if many did, but I was shouting 'Seagulls!' at you.

Thanks. I did get a Seagull or two. Always appreciated. I tried to wave a fair old bit but if I'd done that for every call of support I'd have been doing it the whole way. Then the head bounces around like fury and kills your back.

On the Church Road section a couple of youngsters came running up to get a rhino high five. I could see they were both in Albion colours so I gave them a good "Seaaaa-gu-ulllls" while slapping palms. I heard them running off telling their Dad "the rhino said Seagulls". Little things like that made my day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here