Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] (Dickheads in) club cricket.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We've discussed this before - I've described how I turned my back on League cricket years ago, due to the proliferation of dinlows taking themselves too seriously.

Spotted this on the BBC, from over the weekend.

Opposition batsman on 98 - two runs short of his first ever ton, with two runs needed to win the game. So the opposition bowler chucks a deliberate no-ball to the boundary to finish the game. What an utter, utter prick.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/45075013

The mystery bowler has now been banned for 9 complete games by the league.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Talking of players taking themselves seriously I remember a league game at HD v West Blatchington, most of us turned up 15 mins b4 game use to start[emoji23] on this particular occasion WB were doing laps of the pitch and warm up drills [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Amazed at negative vibes about local cricket. Brighton Hove Club for eg have 5 Sat sides Colts sides from under 10s to under 16 run by very keen volunteers and also Womans sides .From my experience players of all standards are welcome. I know ST Peters offer the same

I'd heard (from a reliable source) that B&HCC kicked up a big fuss when the leagues were being put together about their 3rds being put in too low a division, so they were put up into Div 6 Central.....where they're now second bottom and facing relegation......

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
My county u11 girls played Cheshire on Tuesday and one of our less-quieter girls was heard to welcome a new batter to the crease with "C'mon girls, fresh meat, duck's on the menu!" Not rude, not insulting, but only mildly funny, but it made me smile coming from a 10 year-old ....
The appropriateness of these sort of sledging comments all depends on context.

"Duck's on the menu" ("Golden and crispy - just how we like it!") is currently a popular call in junior cricket along with "Send the bails to Wales", "More blocks than Legoland", "More dots than a dalmation" and "More misses than Henry the Eighth"...

I too quite enjoy the little humour in these comments the first time I hear them and certainly in preference to the drone of "Come on (insert bowler's name) - WICKET BALL...!!!"...

However, they quickly become tedious when overused and their encouragement can also easily lead to collective verbal diorrhea from a junior team which no-one wants to hear. Precocious prep school kids tend to be the worst for this - I enjoy telling the Ruperts and Jaspers to turn the volume down when I'm umpiring.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I'd heard (from a reliable source) that B&HCC kicked up a big fuss when the leagues were being put together about their 3rds being put in too low a division, so they were put up into Div 6 Central.....where they're now second bottom and facing relegation......

Never heard that. So many youngsters playing in lower sides to get experience of mens cricket doesnt matter if in div 6 or 7

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

"Duck's on the menu" ("Golden and crispy - just how we like it!") is currently a popular call in junior cricket along with "Send the bails to Wales", "More blocks than Legoland", "More dots than a dalmation" and "More misses than Henry the Eighth"...

I too quite enjoy the little humour in these comments the first time I hear them and certainly in preference to the drone of "Come on (insert bowler's name) - WICKET BALL...!!!"...

However, they quickly become tedious when overused and their encouragement can also easily lead to collective verbal diorrhea from a junior team which no-one wants to hear. Precocious prep school kids tend to be the worst for this - I enjoy telling the Ruperts and Jaspers to turn the volume down when I'm umpiring.

I am not involved in cricket at all, but from the outside, why do juniors need to "sledge" at all? The thread started with unnecessary/over-competitive behavior ruining the game. For those who see it as an issue, its only going to get worse if it is seen as part and parcel of junior cricket, regardless of context. I just wonder what impact it has on juniors enjoyment of the game.. wouldn't you want them to focus completely on their skills to outwit an opponent at a younger age - field setting, bowling variations, sharp fielding rather than trying to dismantle the other kid with mind-games? Sorry if this appears "holier than thou", but don't understand why clubs would let their young teams team behave that way.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Never heard that. So many youngsters playing in lower sides to get experience of mens cricket doesnt matter if in div 6 or 7

I'd agree...apparently it was the team that got bounced down (somehow more than 1 Div) that were complaining.......

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Talking of players taking themselves seriously I remember a league game at HD v West Blatchington, most of us turned up 15 mins b4 game use to start[emoji23] on this particular occasion WB were doing laps of the pitch and warm up drills [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Nothing wrong with a proper warm up so long as it's appropriate to the age and ability of the players - e.g. old chaps need more gentle movement rather than cardio, but where's the harm in every player having taken 20 catches [variety] and the bowlers turn their arm an over before taking to the filed for when it matters [agree laps is unlikely to be appropriate for any instance in cricket]

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I am not involved in cricket at all, but from the outside, why do juniors need to "sledge" at all? The thread started with unnecessary/over-competitive behavior ruining the game. For those who see it as an issue, its only going to get worse if it is seen as part and parcel of junior cricket, regardless of context. I just wonder what impact it has on juniors enjoyment of the game.. wouldn't you want them to focus completely on their skills to outwit an opponent at a younger age - field setting, bowling variations, sharp fielding rather than trying to dismantle the other kid with mind-games? Sorry if this appears "holier than thou", but don't understand why clubs would let their young teams team behave that way.

Don't get me wrong, I don't coach nor endorse sledging, but for me, it's part of the game not unlike a "!professional" cynical foul in footie, we'd all rather it didn't happen but it does. As i said earlier, sledging started off as funny banter and humour to make everyone laugh and in so doing, break the concentration of your opponent to obtain a mental advantage. "Dismantle", to me sounds like it's got too personal and if any of my players sledged in this way, they would be told in no uncertain terms this is not acceptable.

For me, the preamble in the cricket law book that covers the spirit of cricket is the most import aspect to uphold the traditions of the game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't get me wrong, I don't coach nor endorse sledging, but for me, it's part of the game not unlike a "!professional" cynical foul in footie, we'd all rather it didn't happen but it does. As i said earlier, sledging started off as funny banter and humour to make everyone laugh and in so doing, break the concentration of your opponent to obtain a mental advantage. "Dismantle", to me sounds like it's got too personal and if any of my players sledged in this way, they would be told in no uncertain terms this is not acceptable.

For me, the preamble in the cricket law book that covers the spirit of cricket is the most import aspect to uphold the traditions of the game.

It's goes past sledging quite a bit of the time now - for example I've heard '**** off you little prick' said (by a guy in his 40s) to a dismissed 14 year old in a league game (lower league/3rd XI level). Completely unnecessary

Sledging done well is good fun - of the 'chuck him a piano, see if he can play that' variety.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Doesn't make me smile. That last comment makes me very sad.

Try to look for the humour first.

In my playing days, having bowled to induce 2 play and missed shots in a row, my keeper and slips cordon would chirp, "Send him down a piano, see if he can play that!"

Would this make you sad too?

EDIT: we're on the same page #dazzer6666

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Try to look for the humour first.

In my playing days, having bowled to induce 2 play and missed shots in a row, my keeper and slips cordon would chirp, "Send him down a piano, see if he can play that!"

Would this make you sad too?

EDIT: we're on the same page #dazzer6666
Understood and agree very funny. I think the comment you are quoting and my comment were in specific relation to comments being made in junior cricket. for example, the professional foul or diving as you say is part of the game in adults football, but you wouldn't tolerate kids teams doing it. We too are on the same page!!

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne

Good points and very insightful from someone not involved in cricket...

For me the issue of what junior club/village/school players should say and not say on the pitch is all about how it impacts on FUN, enthusiasm and enjoyment of the game - for their team and for the other team playing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One thing grass root cricket seems to suffer from, and I fully understand why, is decent info on clubs for newbies wanting to join. I know this as I was trying to find a club for my son and whilst I could find some patchy info most club websites were set up by a well meaning volunteer a while ago and haven't been touched since. In this age of folks searching for anything and everything online having a decent webpage with basic info on is a must. Info such as which age groups train when and if newcomers are welcome would be a good start! Sorry for the sidetracking off the thread but small things like this would help the grass roots level a lot.

Just to give an example of this. Our team is meant to be playing at Eastbourne today. I looked to email the manager to check it's on: no name nor contact details. There is a name for the junior chairman but no contact details. The club secretary is named with a link to an email address ... but that link is broken.

If I were a youngster looking to join the club, I'd probably have given up by now, that's really piss poor. It would take about 10 to 15 minutes to put all the details up at the start of the season but the fact that the club couldn't be bothered doesn't suggest that it's a very welcoming club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just to give an example of this. Our team is meant to be playing at Eastbourne today. I looked to email the manager to check it's on: no name nor contact details. There is a name for the junior chairman but no contact details. The club secretary is named with a link to an email address ... but that link is broken.

If I were a youngster looking to join the club, I'd probably have given up by now, that's really piss poor. It would take about 10 to 15 minutes to put all the details up at the start of the season but the fact that the club couldn't be bothered doesn't suggest that it's a very welcoming club.

Agree - such a simple thing to do. I also think most clubs have kind of given up on bespoke websites, as they use the ECB play-cricket portal (for the leagues, they have to for stats/results etc) so details are usually on there - it's not great though as there isn't usually enough info, and not well-maintained by many clubs

http://www.play-cricket.com/

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well I've heard their dad was pretty decent :wink:

THEY must have been good though for [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] to remember them so well from local cricket. Unless, of course he knew them from somewhere else....
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] Dad had no trouble seeing me off. I remember him seeing one of my inswingers to the mid-on boundary with swift disdain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here