Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is Albion goalkeeper Robert Sanchez?

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/news/first-team-news/2018/sanchez-signs-for-fgr

Their goalkeeping coach is called Pat Mountain. No, really.

They went through quite a few keepers last season, so it'll be interesting to see whether Sanchez is first choice at the start of the season or not. They've signed another keeper as well, and they played Cameron Belford toward the end of last season who has been about in the bottom two (mainly the bottom) leagues for a while but I presume he's not there anymore.

Pat Mountain is a fantastic GK coach, i hadn't realised he was there. He was my GK coach at Wolves and was very highly rated among the clubs in the Premier League (at the time). I've got no doubt Sanchez will do very well under him.

Ironically, FGR also have signed James Montgomery...who played for another of my former clubs, AFC Telford United. I also trained with him for a period at Telford, great lad and was far too good for that level. Fantastic keeper and still young (slightly older than myself) and very much a modern day keeper. The two of them will work well together i'm sure. Sanchez is the superior for sure, but Monty will push him hard.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Pat Mountain is a fantastic GK coach, i hadn't realised he was there. He was my GK coach at Wolves and was very highly rated among the clubs in the Premier League (at the time). I've got no doubt Sanchez will do very well under him.

Ironically, FGR also have signed James Montgomery...who played for another of my former clubs, AFC Telford United. I also trained with him for a period at Telford, great lad and was far too good for that level. Fantastic keeper and still young (slightly older than myself) and very much a modern day keeper. The two of them will work well together i'm sure. Sanchez is the superior for sure, but Monty will push him hard.

Forest Green Rovers signed a third goalkeeper today, Lewis Thomas who was let go from Swansea's development squad - FGR sign goalkeeper Thomas

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
This is a good thread. I don't take much notice of what goes on outside of the first team (to my shame) but it's a reminder of all the work that goes on, and well played you [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] for bridging the gap!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I watched Sanchez play today for FGR at Grimsby. What a beast! No chance with the pen but looked very assured and good with ball at feet. Massive presence in the box. One for the future just hope we don’t sell him cheap like. I am biased though.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I watched Sanchez play today for FGR at Grimsby. What a beast! No chance with the pen but looked very assured and good with ball at feet. Massive presence in the box. One for the future just hope we don’t sell him cheap like. I am biased though.

An acquaintance of mine who knows Bruno told me a while back that the great man said we had a Spanish keeper who was possibly the best he’d ever seen for his age. Pretty sure that must have been this kid.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
An acquaintance of mine who knows Bruno told me a while back that the great man said we had a Spanish keeper who was possibly the best he’d ever seen for his age. Pretty sure that must have been this kid.

In spite of being Spanish, has he been on our books long enough to qualify as an HGP when the time comes?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In spite of being Spanish, has he been on our books long enough to qualify as an HGP when the time comes?
Yes, I think so. I think he just needs to have been of our books for 3 years before turning 21 (done, he's been here over 3 years, and is 21 in November).

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Ankers is also a big, big fan of this lad.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The own goal is basically a poundland version of Hinshelwood's for (against!) us vs Colchester, Boxing Day 2008. :lolol:

But the fourth goal is just spectacular, I love the collective groan from the crowd - great sound effect. Pretty good kick from Sanchez, he looks the part physically and was unlucky with the penalty.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
good game to watch. Strange how people forget we were in that league not many years ago.

Of course it's enjoyable and not forgetting our history but more than ever it is a different universe compared to the skills evident at the top level.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
good game to watch. Strange how people forget we were in that league not many years ago.

We won the 4th tier in 2001 and haven't been back there since. I'd say that was a long time ago.

Describing the standard as park football is ridiculous though, you should go watch some park football [MENTION=20643]seve[/MENTION]rnsidegull. It's a joke.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
[TWEET]1033021242188738561[/TWEET]

Big interview: Robert Sanchez

For many, breaking into the professional game is a struggle and a slog of determination and will-power.

For Spanish goalkeeper Robert Sanchez there was the added hurdle of racism that he had to overcome to excel himself to the top.

At a young age, Sanchez came across barriers that would have been confusing and appeared unfair for someone of any age, let alone a child.

However, he was blessed with being smart - a trait that also earned him some grief from other children growing up - but he had the awareness to know that if he focussed on himself and working as hard as he could, his ability would soon be more apparent than the colour of his skin.

“Now I realise, if I want to get to where I want to, I have to push myself to the maximum,” he said as he sat on the park bench in Stratford Park.

“When I was little, the thing about having different coloured skin made it difficult. Now it is alright but there were some hard times growing up.

“It was also hard because my family didn’t have a lot but I worked my hardest and I am what I am now because of my quality.

“Myself, I felt like I was unlucky as I always needed to do much better than the other goalkeepers my age to get recognised and progress.

“Once the coaches saw what I was able to do, they put me through."

READ THE FULL INTERVIEW IN THE PROGRAMME.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Gave away another penalty yesterday, his fourth of the season.

Looking at their fans forums it seems a number of their fans have had enough of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Gave away another penalty yesterday, his fourth of the season.

Looking at their fans forums it seems a number of their fans have had enough of him.

They've lost 1 game in 14 in the league, conceded less than a goal per game average. Their goalkeeper isn't their problem, they're drawing every game (9 out of 14) because their attack isn't good enough. They've got a proper goalkeeper, worry about the rest of the squad.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They've lost 1 game in 14 in the league, conceded less than a goal per game average. Their goalkeeper isn't their problem, they're drawing every game (9 out of 14) because their attack isn't good enough. They've got a proper goalkeeper, worry about the rest of the squad.

Suggest you go on to their fans forum, getting a bit of flack.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here