Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton - the capital of YouTube? (Any recommended videos?)

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I've been getting into YouTube in recent months and I'm surprised how many of the big name vloggers are based in Brighton.

The most popular YouTuber in the world, Pewdiepie (almost 60 million subscribers), for instance moved from Sweden to Brighton (along with his Italian vlogger girlfriend) several years ago and is often to be found filming on the seafront or Preston Park. The Posh & Becks of British YouTubers, Zoella and Alfie Deyes, also live here, as do loads of others... eg the most popular UK FPS gamer on Twitch/YouTube, Soviet Womble... the leading Irish games vlogger Jacksepticeye, who moved to Brighton this summer... etc etc...

Surprising in the circumstances that there isn't more content specifically about Brighton & Hove on YouTube.

Some spotty weird recently started up a weekly series about Brighton history (a new episode each Friday lunchtime):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmh7NQXo9E

Is there anything else (in terms of a regular series) about Brighton on YouTube? Or any particular individual videos (non-football related) on Brighton that you recommend? Cheers.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't get the whole YouTuber phenomenon – and I've little interest, to be honest – but one of them was on the pitch after the Wigan game and Jnr Bobkin got very excited because he got to chat with him and made it into his post-match video/report/vlog.

As for them being based around these parts? Good for them, but I wouldn't recognise them if they were stood right in front of me. Given the shortening attention span of people nowadays, it probably won't be long before they move onto somewhere else 'cooler'...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Having dealt with them (or at least their "people") in a professional context on a few occasions, Alfie Deyes and Zoella may be successful at what they do, but they have also both long since disappeared up their own arses.

When one of them had released (not written, you'll note) a book, they approached Churchill Square and offered to do a signing event on a Saturday afternoon, but only on condition that the entire centre was closed to regular shoppers for the duration for security reasons.

I have also met one of them in person, and they came across as being as thick as pigshit.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Having dealt with them (or at least their "people") in a professional context on a few occasions, Alfie Deyes and Zoella may be successful at what they do, but they have also both long since disappeared up their own arses.

When one of them had released (not written, you'll note) a book, they approached Churchill Square and offered to do a signing event on a Saturday afternoon, but only on condition that the entire centre was closed to regular shoppers for the duration for security reasons.

I have also met one of them in person, and they came across as being as thick as pigshit.

I completely agree. Seen a few of them out and about and they put on a forced grin to take a photo with a few fans as quickly as possible and then run off. They clearly don't enjoy mingling with their fans, it's just something they have to do for appearances. Their forced energy and excitement over the most mundane things in their videos is truly cringeworthy.

I also know someone that has worked with them in a professional context, who has since turned down work from Gleam Futures (their agents) because they refuse to work with them again. 'Arrogant divas' were the words used the describe them.

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
I'm assuming they come to Brighton as they think it's 'alternative' and gives their pointless lives some meaning, but saying 'oh live in Brighton don't you know'.

Some of the channels are basically just playing video games and shouting at a camera, what bloody entertainment is that?

My girlfriend watches some dozy bint do makeup tutorials and I have to leave the room every time she does as it just winds me up.

Wish I could sit in front of a camera and do weird shit and get paid loads of money and be a ****.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My son and his friends are all into this stuff and most have their own channels. I don't get it at all but I don't mind as there's a (very outside) chance that he'll end up with millions of subscribers, make shitloads of money and allow me to retire.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I'm assuming they come to Brighton as they think it's 'alternative' and gives their pointless lives some meaning, but saying 'oh live in Brighton don't you know'.

Some of the channels are basically just playing video games and shouting at a camera, what bloody entertainment is that?

My girlfriend watches some dozy bint do makeup tutorials and I have to leave the room every time she does as it just winds me up.

Wish I could sit in front of a camera and do weird shit and get paid loads of money and be a ****.

Alfie Deyes is actually from Brighton and Zoella moved here because they started dating. Not sure about the other bellcheeses though.

I'm in the same boat though, as my girlfriend also wastes her time watching them. It's worked in my favour now though. I spent so much time mocking them for saying things like

"Oh my gawd. Oh my gawd. Oh my gaaaaaawd. Did you hear that? Did you? She just burped. I didn't even know dogs could burp. Oh my gawd, that's so funny" - Actual quote (maybe embellished a little) from Zoella.

My girlfriend got fed up with my sarcastic comments so now she uses headphones to watch them and I haven't got to listen to it. Instead, I'm left alone to watch football in peace.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Alfie Deyes is actually from Brighton and Zoella moved here because they started dating. Not sure about the other bellcheeses though.

I'm in the same boat though, as my girlfriend also wastes her time watching them. It's worked in my favour now though. I spent so much time mocking them for saying things like

"Oh my gawd. Oh my gawd. Oh my gaaaaaawd. Did you hear that? Did you? She just burped. I didn't even know dogs could burp. Oh my gawd, that's so funny" - Actual quote (maybe embellished a little) from Zoella.

My girlfriend got fed up with my sarcastic comments so now she uses headphones to watch them and I haven't got to listen to it. Instead, I'm left alone to watch football in peace.

Sounds like you had to go through a lot of effort there when you could have just dumped her and been well within your rights.

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011

I think she now does it just to annoy me.

But the droning voice, they speak so quickly, literally change from one subject to another and back again within the space of the same second, singing and generally being a tosser.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Anyone earning a living off YouTube or any social media platform has my grudging respect ... beats working for a living.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Gay capital
Homeless capital (per population)
Druggy capital (per population)
Festival goer capital
Blogger capital
Scruffiest people capital
Any more?:lolol::lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
So in summation [MENTION=1792]fataddick[/MENTION], don't bother. Switch off your PC and step outside instead. There's a real world out there somewhere (allegedly), or at least there used to be pre-1996/7, not sure it's still there (birds, bees, trees and stuff).

D

Deleted member 2719

I've been getting into YouTube in recent months and I'm surprised how many of the big name vloggers are based in Brighton.

The most popular YouTuber in the world, Pewdiepie (almost 60 million subscribers), for instance moved from Sweden to Brighton (along with his Italian vlogger girlfriend) several years ago and is often to be found filming on the seafront or Preston Park. The Posh & Becks of British YouTubers, Zoella and Alfie Deyes, also live here, as do loads of others... eg the most popular UK FPS gamer on Twitch/YouTube, Soviet Womble... the leading Irish games vlogger Jacksepticeye, who moved to Brighton this summer... etc etc...

Surprising in the circumstances that there isn't more content specifically about Brighton & Hove on YouTube.

Some spotty weird recently started up a weekly series about Brighton history (a new episode each Friday lunchtime):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmh7NQXo9E

Is there anything else (in terms of a regular series) about Brighton on YouTube? Or any particular individual videos (non-football related) on Brighton that you recommend? Cheers.

This guy is far better IMO, but he is from Worthing.

https://youtu.be/aVbkQo5Bkgc

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I read last year that Brighton's online / creative sector contributes £1 billion a year to the local economy. Not bad, that.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Not Brighton related but I went up to Wembley the week with my boy for the Wembley Cup which is a charity match with various YouTube footballers and a smattering of ex pros. I didn't really know anyone playing but it turns out being able to play FIFA doesn't mean you can play a real game, KSI is as much of a dick in real life as he is online, Robbie Fowler really has sacked off keeping trim and Stephen Gerrard is still a baller (as the kids say).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here