Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poyet on Poogate

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
we lost the second leg as Barnes shot hit the bar and Zaha played like a world beater.

Fine margins.

el punal

Is that how Poyet is basing his managerial career on.
Every new club he's gone to, he's defacated in his team changing room, to win.
The blokes talking sh!te!

I second that! Don't use a turd as an excuse. There were a few rumours, most very plausible, about Senor Gus's lead up to being sacked. Most of us have heard the stories in varying degrees, hence the old expression - no smoke without fire.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I second that! Don't use a turd as an excuse. There were a few rumours, most very plausible, about Senor Gus's lead up to being sacked. Most of us have heard the stories in varying degrees, hence the old expression - no smoke without fire.

I smell curry :wink:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I do remember the FC United match at Withdean when a chorus of boos rang out when we were trailing in the FA Cup at half-time. Gus Poyet was quick to condemn them. Around that time we were about five divisions above FCUM. Their players all looked like they were 15 stone but he'd made 11 changes because he thought we'd piss that match with important League One fixtures (as elect champions) coming up. The boos were for THAT afternoon, played in some of the coldest conditions ever for November. The reserve players weren't that great although it shouldn't have needed a replay.

It was never Gus' fault when something went wrong.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah it only saw us win League One at an absolute canter.

And just about splutter over the finishing line. Southampton got off the mark slowly, finally picked up pace in the Autumn and finished like an express train. They beat us at Withdean at the the tail end of that season and went on to become double championes the following season. That win 'at an absolute canter' was as much to do with Southampton being slowly out of the traps as anything else. We were good, but we were patently the second best team in that division in that season.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Anyway.... it all turned out alright in the end. For us, at least.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And just about splutter over the finishing line. Southampton got off the mark slowly, finally picked up pace in the Autumn and finished like an express train. They beat us at Withdean at the the tail end of that season and went on to become double championes the following season. That win 'at an absolute canter' was as much to do with Southampton being slowly out of the traps as anything else. We were good, but we were patently the second best team in that division in that season.

Come off it. We got 95 points that season which was and is still a record number of points for a season, with over 28 weeks at the top. I know you hated him, but you are over egging the pudding.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Come off it. We got 95 points that season which was and is still a record number of points for a season, with over 28 weeks at the top. I know you hated him, but you are over egging the pudding.

Agreed.

We were comfortably up and relaxed, similar to last year in some respects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Sorry I don't buy that. They were better than us on the night and to be honest apart from the first 20 minutes of the first game, we were never in that game. Personally I thought the worst result for sheer embarrassment was the Sudbury game at the Goldstone where there was hardly anyone in the ground, we were at the end of our tether, playing some horrible football, it was cold, wet , miserable and we lost 4-3 on penalties and for those of us left in the ground the atmosphere was toxic........I very nearly came close to giving up on the Albion that night as I know many had done already that season.

At least with the play off game, we had a decent season leading up to it and we were a good side whose time would come.....the last days of the Goldstone was another dimension totally.

I guess it comes down to which result you felt most gutted by.

I was at the Sudbury game and while it was a huge low point in an awful time for the club, missing out on the next round of the cup was nothing compared to not going to Wembley and giving up our chance of promotion to our arch rivals who had won their place in the play-offs with 30-odd goals from a former Albion player.

Given that we then imploded and lost our manager, I for one didn't feel overly confident at the time that we hadn't just blown our one chance of Premier League footy and the kind of financial security we all fought so hard for back in the dark days.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

I was at the Sudbury game and while it was a huge low point in an awful time for the club, missing out on the next round of the cup was nothing compared to not going to Wembley and giving up our chance of promotion to our arch rivals who had won their place in the play-offs with 30-odd goals from a former Albion player.

Given that we then imploded and lost our manager, I for one didn't feel overly confident at the time that we hadn't just blown our one chance of Premier League footy and the kind of financial security we all fought so hard for back in the dark days.

Poyet, his mind for me wasn't on that game, he was already off (although if Barnes shot had gone in rather than hit the cross bar who knows), our league game at home with the two wingers (Buckley and Lua Lua) were the key and that play off game Poyet should have done the same and went at them, but didn't.

Regarding Poogate I noticed we were made to or did the decent thing as a club and apologised, to this day (since the truth came out) I have never seen an apology coming the other way?

Anyway, fast-forward a few years and we can look back on all those games, say I was there and put them down to the history book... look at the table now and have a little smile.

mike1901

May 12, 2017
Along with also saying "some of you wont be here next year either" and the fact two players accused him of throwing the game

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What does he mean, he doesn't know if it was the bus driver? I thought that was now an established fact.

This, absolutely this. The bus driver had bad guts, and didn't make it to the pan in time. I believe it was also far from being a poo in the middle of the dressing room, and was actually near the toilet, maybe even in teh cubicle. He just couldn't quite hang on long enough to actually sit down first.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
This, absolutely this. The bus driver had bad guts, and didn't make it to the pan in time. I believe it was also far from being a poo in the middle of the dressing room, and was actually near the toilet, maybe even in teh cubicle. He just couldn't quite hang on long enough to actually sit down first.

I'm so grateful we now have our shite story straight. I always wanted to know if he shit in the middle of the changing room or nearer the toilet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Notts County at Wembley for me.

All those traffic jams both ways, after a great season, to see naive Lloyd out thought by a superior 'young' Warnock in the first half.

Destroying the hopes of 41,000 by half time.

I was over the 2013 play off not long afterwards.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Ah, Gus eh?, he's a Marmite chap alright.

Favourite Poyet memories, sitting by him and Tanno at Lancing watching the development squad and a certain Lewis Dunk playing a blinder. You could tell he was impressed with Dunk and soon he was in the first team. I commented to my brother that "we've got a future captain there" and the bloke sitting behind me said, "thanks, he's my son". Poyet was wearing a shockingly bad camel brown leather jacket. Other one was his hammy rendition of "we're ****ing brilliant" on the Madeira Drive Championees parade.

Least favourite Poyet memories - every time he left Vincente on the bench. The other negative stuff, this far down the line, I'm just a bit 'meh' about.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Sorry I don't buy that. They were better than us on the night and to be honest apart from the first 20 minutes of the first game, we were never in that game. Personally I thought the worst result for sheer embarrassment was the Sudbury game at the Goldstone where there was hardly anyone in the ground, we were at the end of our tether, playing some horrible football, it was cold, wet , miserable and we lost 4-3 on penalties and for those of us left in the ground the atmosphere was toxic........I very nearly came close to giving up on the Albion that night as I know many had done already that season.

At least with the play off game, we had a decent season leading up to it and we were a good side whose time would come.....the last days of the Goldstone was another dimension totally.

Losing to Sudbury is a future Albion pub quiz question, just another shambles in an omnishambles period of our history. We don't get Sudbury Town supporters coming on here and taunting us. Merely maintaining our existence and league status is the greatest triumph from that era.
Beating Palace would have helped nullify those painful results against the Darlingtons, Walsalls and Kingstonians. It would have restored parity after the 5-0, a game I flew specifically back for, from my job in the Channel Islands.
We may have even beaten Watford in the final, leading to greater achievements and financial reward.
My first game was in 1987, so have experienced many an Albion cluster****. In hundreds of games, the worst I ever felt was after the play off defeat. It was a footballing disaster.
Oh, and I never came close to giving up on the Albion either.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
Poyet's problem was not the pooh but his stupid decision to not meet Glenn Murray's modest wage demand a couple of years before. Losing Murray also cost The Palarce Manager his job later as they have never been so good without him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here