Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Where have our young people gone

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
True. Those 10 hours of lectures a week must be really tiring [emoji23][emoji23](and well worth £9,000 a year)

And then it’s off to write it up and research it in the library online or back at digs. I used to read a lot of what my daughter wrote whilst doing her education degree. Oh and she did 24 hours waitressing in the local pub/restaurant. Jenson Button gave her a £10.00 tip one night.........which was nice.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Surprisingly Eastern Europeans are happy because they are earning four times more money a week than they would in their native country.

See less and less in the building trade now, they had value when they were half price now most are going back to British workers :thumbsup:

Couldn’t find us 20,000 nurses for the NHS could you ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
True. Those 10 hours of lectures a week must be really tiring [emoji23][emoji23](and well worth £9,000 a year)

Also according to government statistics, graduates and postgraduates continue to have higher employment rates and are more likely to work in high-skilled jobs than non-graduates. Full-time employed, working-age graduates will earn an average of £31,000 this year, the government says, compared to £22,100 for non-graduates.16 Jul 2015. If of course that £9,000 a year was to be timed by say ...35 years then that’s an extra £315,000.

Monday was piss up night I know that

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I have noticed that no where near the number of teenagers today have PT jobs as our generation did. Maybe a third do where's it was extremely unusual when I was at school and college not to have a job at weekends, evenings or even the old paper round pre-school! Working doesn't seem to be in vogue these days.

Not sure about young teenagers - most of my sixth-former son's mates DO have part-time jobs. But when it comes to University students I do agree there has been a change, and I think its down to the existing funding model. Nowadays students are expected to take the available loans to fund their college journey. Its presumed they'll graduate with a big debt (£30k to £50k). The figures are so enormous that which end of that scale they end up at, probably seems irrelevant, thus earning £50 a week doing a shift or two behind a bar seem pointless.

In my day, with fees funded (25 years ago) my three nights a week behind a bar were the difference between finishing Uni with a £10k debt or leaving (almost) in the black.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
A lot of cheap shots at the young generation in this thread. Personally I think we're doing pretty bloody well considering what the older generation have left behind.

The X factor generation haven't contributed any meaningful amount to the nations coffers by the time they leave uni aged 21+, quite the opposite - yet they're seduced into thinking they're entitled to everything - immediately - high paid job, a house etc. How do the maths work on that one?

It's humiliatingly uncool in this multi media, social networking, peer pressure era to be seen to be a failure - by performing manual tasks.

But most young people are absolutely wonderful and we all want them follow their dreams - they just need realistic expectations and patience and honesty - just like those before.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The X factor generation haven't contributed any meaningful amount to the nations coffers by the time they leave uni aged 21+, quite the opposite - yet they're seduced into thinking they're entitled to everything - immediately - high paid job, a house etc. How do the maths work on that one?

It's humiliatingly uncool in this multi media, social networking, peer pressure era to be seen to be a failure - by performing manual tasks.

But most young people are absolutely wonderful and we all want them follow their dreams - they just need realistic expectations and patience and honesty - just like those before.

I, like with most (?) young people, have no belief I will ever own a house.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

But most young people are absolutely wonderful and we all want them follow their dreams - they just need realitstic expectations and patience and honesty - just like those before.

It is not just young people that have an overwhelming sense of entitlement.

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Good to see the shaming of young people and education has reached you guys, I feel so at home here. But I think I'll save my tirade against the neoliberal economy and the generations that constructed it for another day. There still seems to be more sense among some of the older folks on this board than with the people I have to seemingly defend my education to every day.

What I will say is hospitality in my home area (I come from a resort seaside area originally) is worked mostly by Eastern European teenagers who are brought over and housed together for summers. My buddy still has a Ukraine mug that aomeone he worked with gave him one summer. Most of the stands that aren't simply operated by the owner are mostly staffed by Eastern Europeans, and it's certainly not for lack of applicants from the local kids. It was near impossible to find work in high school, everyone was always applying to different jobs. It took me until I was 18 to find a minimum wage position at a chain coffee shop, and I was connected through a friend. This anecdote of millennial entitlement falls flat to the real numbers of the economic climate for the youngest generation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Also according to government statistics, graduates and postgraduates continue to have higher employment rates and are more likely to work in high-skilled jobs than non-graduates. Full-time employed, working-age graduates will earn an average of £31,000 this year, the government says, compared to £22,100 for non-graduates.16 Jul 2015. If of course that £9,000 a year was to be timed by say ...35 years then that’s an extra £315,000.

Monday was piss up night I know that

Delicious irony here, as my daughter graduated in June with a Nursing Degree (First) and is now working as a staff nurse in a General Hospital (full of alcoholics and drug addicts by the sound of things). She would love to be earning £31k a year, but on the other hand has no student debt as nursing degrees were fully funded, and she also got a decent bursary towards living costs from the generous Scottish Government (funded by English taxpayers of course, so I’m kind of even on the deal I guess).

No 2 offspring is in his second year and is VERY good at FIFA on the Xbox.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Haha fair enough. I'll take it as a compliment that my thoughts are coming across so aged and wise :lolol:

Please do :thumbsup:

Not sure if others think the same, but you see a regular poster, of course I'm talking about people I don't know in the real world, and I think a sort of profile is mentally built up about that poster due to the posts they make and their opinions I guess, and please believe me when I say this, I am honestly not meaning to come across as rude, but you do post in a more mature fashion, well, in my opinion anyway. I have over the years met many NSCers in real life, mainly at games, and many times my profile that I have built up in my head is wayyyyyy off course!! :lol: but I will say, everyone I have met have always been really nice people, even ones I have banned!! :lol:

Cheers and continue to enjoy NSC :thumbsup:

Dec 29, 2011
Can't help but notice the posts from the younger generation are well constructed, coherent, polite and use correct grammar while those bashing the youth are hard to read, use little to no correct grammar and are mostly based on anecdote. Take from that what you will.

Withdean Chappy

Jul 21, 2017
Westdean
Stayed in a couple of roadside Hotels in Gloucs and Wilts over the last few days. All staff had East European accents. Polite, well presented, efficient, hardworking and seemingly happy within themselves. Where are all the young English people I wonder
Same situation in Coffee bars, it appears our youngsters dont like shifts,weekends etc,etc

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
There's more than 20,000 on the waiting list but they don't want home bred nurses because they cost to much in fees and it's far cheaper to get skilled foreign workers in.Lets be honest nurse pay is bloody embarrassing and 5 years or so studying to get in the door you'd think would put anyone off.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Surprisingly Eastern Europeans are happy because they are earning four times more money a week than they would in their native country.

See less and less in the building trade now, they had value when they were half price now most are going back to British workers :thumbsup:
Yes but the cost of living here is bloody
dire and it's impossible for many of them.
I'm in transport and the demand for class 1/2 drivers is so high and like the building trade they seem more focused on brits and maybe because the health and safety and numerous checks are getting so riggerous it's unreal.

To be fair they're very hard working and very nice people :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's more than 20,000 on the waiting list but they don't want home bred nurses because they cost to much in fees and it's far cheaper to get skilled foreign workers in.Lets be honest nurse pay is bloody embarrassing and 5 years or so studying to get in the door you'd think would put anyone off.

3 or 4 year (if hons) degree, 4-6 week placement (essentially free labour) every single term throughout with far fewer holidays than other students. Honours grads start at Grade 5, around £23kpa. None of the ones I met were doing it for the money, that’s for sure.

By contrast, big financial services firms will pay starting salaries of up to £45k pa in London for graduate recruits - who won’t be allowed to make a decision or do anything useful for a couple of years.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes but the cost of living here is bloody
dire and it's impossible for many of them.
I'm in transport and the demand for class 1/2 drivers is so high and like the building trade they seem more focused on brits and maybe because the health and safety and numerous checks are getting so riggerous it's unreal.

To be fair they're very hard working and very nice people :)
In the building trade I don't share your view never met such obnoxious bodgers In all my life. Have no interest in intergrating or learning or working to our high standards. Just glad people have seen the light so us qualified British tradesman can start earning a decent living again.

Oct 25, 2003
Same situation in Coffee bars, it appears our youngsters dont like shifts,weekends etc,etc

eh? it seems like about a quarter of Brightons population is a "barista" these days- it's hard to find anyone OVER 30 in that trade.

Brighton is full of people who don't work a regular 9-5 and pick up the odd shift here and there to supplement their income as a freelance photographer/music producer/singer-songwriter/graphic designer

so i'm not sure where you're getting that from- if anything "youngsters" DO like shifts, weekends etc etc

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

22k to 28k depending on band. About the same as a primary school teacher. Sounds ok but it doesn’t go far really does it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here