Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just got back from a week in Wales that included a trip to Pontypridd Parkrun yesterday. After a very unhealthy week of food and only a couple of hilly runs in Snowdonia I wasn’t in great shape and felt a bit sluggish. In the end I was happy to get round in 21:32. I’m intending to rack up a lot of KMs this week to get back on track and will do Preston Park on Saturday if others are still planning to. If not it’s back to the beautiful flatness of Worthing.

The problem with having Worthing as a home track is that it rather spoils you. The only downside is the howling gales that seem to afflict the prom when the rest of the country - and other parkruns - can have total stillness.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Did the Bognor10 yesterday. Had a few teething problems, failure of the timing mechanism being the biggest problem! They also sadly had many Marshalls abused by locals over road closures. I saw two incidents of cars trying to enter the race route with marshalls pleading with them not to. I hope they can get this resolved and the event becomes a fixture as it was a great route. Started at Bogner Regis Town FC, the social club was the meeting point. It then went through Bognor, including one park and long strecthes on the seafront. It meant 3 miles back into a stiff sea breeze! One or two tight turns including a little loop at the start which I personally did not like and slowed everyone down considerably. Always interesting to take part in the first running of an event. If they can resolve the couple of small issues then I think this will become really popular (think it was capped at about 450 runners). Time was about 84 minutes (so slightly slower than Bright10 and the GSR), not my best run but I could feel my 90 miles of marathon training that I had done during October which included 30 miles in total over the previous weekend. I can see how important the taper is before events, but the 16th December run is my priority this time round. One thing I did like was an 8.30 start time as even with the travel down I was back home by midday.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bideford 10 miler today for me after yesterday’s 6 pints of Guinness and fat boy breakfast
Smashed it in 1.10 mins
Not bad for a 59 year old if I say so myself

Come on Mr Shinpad, submit your other times and I'll get you involved in the league table! You're dining with the big boys now. :thumbsup:

Preston Park for me on saturday, it's PB attempt day - sub 18 is the goal! I'm hopeful of having my pacer in place, having someone else do the work would be handy! A few KM sprints today and then a couple of easier days with a bit of rowing in the gym and maybe a spell on the elliptical as well before some gentle short, sharp sprints on thursday.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Did the Bognor10 yesterday. Had a few teething problems, failure of the timing mechanism being the biggest problem! They also sadly had many Marshalls abused by locals over road closures. I saw two incidents of cars trying to enter the race route with marshalls pleading with them not to. I hope they can get this resolved and the event becomes a fixture as it was a great route. Started at Bogner Regis Town FC, the social club was the meeting point. It then went through Bognor, including one park and long strecthes on the seafront. It meant 3 miles back into a stiff sea breeze! One or two tight turns including a little loop at the start which I personally did not like and slowed everyone down considerably. Always interesting to take part in the first running of an event. If they can resolve the couple of small issues then I think this will become really popular (think it was capped at about 450 runners). Time was about 84 minutes (so slightly slower than Bright10 and the GSR), not my best run but I could feel my 90 miles of marathon training that I had done during October which included 30 miles in total over the previous weekend. I can see how important the taper is before events, but the 16th December run is my priority this time round. One thing I did like was an 8.30 start time as even with the travel down I was back home by midday.

Small minded ****wits driving onto the course. I like early starts as well. Windsor Triathlon was good. Can't beat finishing an Olympic Triathlon before 9am. I'm all for 7am Parkruns....

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

My sister lives in Bognor and tipped me off that the locals weren't happy and that there'd been rumblings about road closures. I was a bit surprised (and disappointed) as Bognor has been hosting a very large and well run 10K for many a year. Shame on you, Bognor!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
If you're in Oakford (from your Avatar) Killerton isn't too far away for you to log an occasional parkrun time ?? Or possibly Longrun Meadow (Taunton) ??

Yes I know Killerton isn’t far away but I’ve been working away all week for the last year so it’s a bit of a no no but I’ve just got a 6 month contract in Exeter so will get myself down there on a footy free Saturday ( maybe this weekend even ?)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Ever had one of those runs where everything unexpectedly comes together without really trying? Well it just happened to me, 11 miles at 6:50 average pace. Unbelievable!

(I put it down to the excessive amount of brownie and flap-jack mini-bites I ate over the weekend)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Jesus booked for Friday afternoon as my groin has progressively worsened over the past two weeks. I didn’t feel it too much at Park Run Saturday but could feel it after about half mile Sunday but stupidly ran 18k through the discomfort.

Apart from anti-inflammatory tablets and ice any other advice or stretches? I don’t think it’s too bad so how long has it kept you out? If at all?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yes January and I will be in that age bracket !!
Where did the years go ???

Look, no offence but please just stay away from Sussex eh?! It's a horrible place and you wouldn't like it anyway. (Of course you are welcome to visit but just don't pack your kit..........)
On your point about where do the years go, I had a very strong reminder of this today when I revisited my old college which I went to in 1971. Welcome to the 60s!

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Also did Bognor 10 yesterday and also noticed some locals rowing with stewards over road closures! Some were getting really irate! Apart from that I thought it was very well organised for a first attempt and everyone was very friendly. I have to agree about a couple of u turns, especially after about 300m's! Not sure that was a good idea! I managed 70 minutes with a tight hamstring, so all in all very happy!!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
I think for a first race the Regis 10 was a big success. Agree with the comments about the venue ie ideal race hq in clubhouse, catering and bag drop. Flat course with maybe too many turns for a pb but a scenic course nonetheless. Despite the headwind I enjoyed the last 3 miles along the seafront in sunshine just a few feet away from the crashing waves. I did hear that they may seek a different HQ if demand gets higher.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I launched into a couple of mile sprints yesterday in preparation for saturday, and today will be a gentle eliptical session in the gym with some casual core. Unfortunately, my pacer Jerome has shown his Belgian side and decided to have a romantic weekend in London with his wife instead of pacing me around for 17:59! Obviously, I'm surprised and hurt by his decision but it just means one less person to blame if it doesn't happen/means I can take ALL the credit when I crash home over the line.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm cancelling Saturday's full out effort. Have had the snottiest head and sore throat possible this week. So that's it from me till Christmas Eve.....only regret is having to miss the Palace game.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Starting to ramp up the miles slowly for next years events, have booked Brighton Half and Brighton Marathon for 2018.
7 miles on Monday night in 58.39, and will hopefully do another 7 tonight.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm cancelling Saturday's full out effort. Have had the snottiest head and sore throat possible this week. So that's it from me till Christmas Eve.....only regret is having to miss the Palace game.

That's a shame Gaffer, will you be looking to get yourself along to volunteer?!

Starting to ramp up the miles slowly for next years events, have booked Brighton Half and Brighton Marathon for 2018.
7 miles on Monday night in 58.39, and will hopefully do another 7 tonight.

Beware of overtraining! Mileage is crucial for the longer distances but I'd think about strengthening sessions and speedwork sessions as well for the variety and overall boost to your fitness. I've dropped mileage this year and thrashed my times all over the place. Adding in swimming has been huge too, something I don't generally enjoy but it has a massive impact. Are your times in the NSC table, Nathan?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here