Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Remembrance Day lost it,s meaning ?

Genuine question - is it normal for someone to wear their relatives' medals?
Perfectly normal, but the medals have to be worn on the right breast. Only the medal receipiant is allowed to wear them on the left. I remember David Beckham wore his medal on the right and the papers made a big noise about it.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I don't think it's bound to become weaker. As generations come and go, and the direct links are lost it will change. Weaker, no. Different, yes.

I disagree, I feel as though, as with many things, we're becoming more Americanised in the way we treat the military and year by year the military seem to be more and more idolised - help for heroes bracelets, glittery poppies, prime roles at big sporting events etc.

This might make me unpopular, but I've never quite understood the immediate, blanket respect people in the military get. What the soldiers did in the first and second world wars deserves our unending respect - the majority were normal people who volunteered / were conscripted and died in staggering numbers. Modern soldiers now choose to sign up, it's a job they wanted, applied for, and get paid for, I suspect many never get anywhere close to danger. I am very grateful that they do what they do, I would never want it as a job, but to automatically treat them in quite such a way is interesting - why don't people in other dangerous professions (police, fire services, trawlermen etc) get the same treatment? I can't believe that the danger the air force and navy personnel in particular face is any greater / more arduous than those jobs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No it has gained meaning. I will disregard the shaven headed men in their 40s, with a poppy in their Crombie, looking more like they hope someone will challenge them to a fight than hope to show their respects to the dead (seen in my town on Sunday, and elsewhere no doubt), just as I will disregard all the navel gazing wet lettuces more interested in hand wringing about the futility of war because, unlike when I was a kid and we were all more interested in the Beatles and getting a slice of the permissive society, there is now a more widespread measured and reflective attitude to the past, and a better understanding of the sacrifices our forbears made on our behalf. Long may it prosper.

Mind you, at one point (before checking my diary) I thought Remembrance Sunday was weeks ago, on account of the three line whip on the wearing of 'props' poppies by every man woman child and dog on the telly for the last month. Handing out poppies to telly presenters like the pre show gin and tonic, long before we members of the public have bought ours is, to my mind, quite cynical, and consequently disrespectful. Let them buy their own, at an appropriate time, or not, as they see fit.

As for he footy players with poppies sewn into their shirts - I like it. Even though I didn't some years ago when it 'kicked off'. Attitudes change. Even mine. :smile:

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
Something that has appeared very obvious to me this week is the number of people that appear to have stopped wearing their poppy since Sunday.

Yes, Remembrance SUNDAY has gone, but Remembrance DAY was yesterday. Don't take your poppy off just because the Sunday has passed. Some f-wit in the office actually asked me yesterday why I was still wearing one :facepalm:

We had a poppy box in our office. I was quite surprised when the lady took it away on Monday.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
It should be concentrated on one day, sensibly 11th November. Currently it seems to go on for ever ... weekend before, weekend after .. which results in the impact being lessened. And the wearing of poppies should be up to the individual .... are you listening BBC???

Let's make it the same for Xmas than shall we !!

We should never forget what these people done for us and as an ex serviceman and still have family serving I think it's great the respect people now show for Remembrance Sunday and the 11th

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I disagree, I feel as though, as with many things, we're becoming more Americanised in the way we treat the military and year by year the military seem to be more and more idolised - help for heroes bracelets, glittery poppies, prime roles at big sporting events etc.

This might make me unpopular, but I've never quite understood the immediate, blanket respect people in the military get. What the soldiers did in the first and second world wars deserves our unending respect - the majority were normal people who volunteered / were conscripted and died in staggering numbers. Modern soldiers now choose to sign up, it's a job they wanted, applied for, and get paid for, I suspect many never get anywhere close to danger. I am very grateful that they do what they do, I would never want it as a job, but to automatically treat them in quite such a way is interesting - why don't people in other dangerous professions (police, fire services, trawlermen etc) get the same treatment? I can't believe that the danger the air force and navy personnel in particular face is any greater / more arduous than those jobs.

Yes you just p####d me right off
Welcome to my blocked list

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Interesting points, I can see where you're coming from.

You raise a good point about Americanisation. I'm not sure about the police as I have a few issues with them but I have always felt the UK Fire Brigade should be treated with a lot more respect than they are; in fact more like the US where it's more a way of life and they are a well respected and a visible community within the community.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes you just p####d me right off
Welcome to my blocked list

I think he raised some very interesting points. Why not address/challenge/debate them instead of behaving like this?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think it's bigger and better observed than it was 30 years ago that's for sure.

That is almost exactly what I was going to say.

And my two daughters, aged 31 and 33, both take it very seriously, too without any major encouragement from their parents. A couple of years ago on our way back from holiday further south, we spent two days in Arras, Northern France, looking at war memorials and cemeteries, on the recommendation of the elder daughter, who had done it the previous year. She pointed both of us parents towards cemeteries where we would find the graves of family members, and also to the names of family members from both sides on the remarkable memorial in Arras itself which bears the names of all the men from the allied side who were missing presumed dead in that particular part of France during a certain period.

And I think the nature of the remembrance has changed. It was possibly in the past much more about glorification. Now it seems very much more about remembering and being grateful for the sacrifice, recognising the loss and the effect on those left behind who were bereaved.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I think that another reason it's bigger than 30 years ago is that WW1 and WW2 history is now taught in schools and visits to WW1 sites are part of student field trips so there is a better understanding and appreciation of what happened by a younger generation.

My Great Uncle volunteered for the Army at 15 years old and was found hanging on the wires in no man's land by his mates aged 16.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
image.jpg

Kuma

*dons shades*
Aug 22, 2015
Midlands
I don't think it has lost meaning, but I feel like it is getting hijacked by so many different groups for their own agendas.

I agree with many of these points.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
He's got a blocked 'list' - doesn't sound like he much likes conflicting views.

No everyone is entitled to their own opinion its just I dont like yours

Its what I joined up for, to give people in this country the freedom to express themselves without any comebacks

I didnt volunteer for the things I did in the Cold War its was part of the job and I accepted it.

And in reply to Herr Tubthumper I can behave in anyway I like (Read my top line in this quote)

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
No I don't think it's lost it's meaning - it's about remembering and for those 2 minutes I stand in silence, remember and am thankful.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think that another reason it's bigger than 30 years ago is that WW1 and WW2 history is now taught in schools and visits to WW1 sites are part of student field trips so there is a better understanding and appreciation of what happened by a younger generation.

Yes, fully agree with this. My grand daughter is now aware of what happened and joined us at the memorial ceremony this year. Often, when on the ferries, we see British school parties who are going to Ypres. Last year, we met a party from Blackburn who had travelled through the night to get to Dover early! At the Menin Gate , there are lots of messages from school parties, and groups of young people attending. Lovely to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here