Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Hammond's Budget

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Only thing to remember is that at least the Conservatives have an understanding of how to run the economy, labour and especially Marxist Corbyn has zero idea. All he wants to do is buy every ones vote by spend spend until he bankrupts our country

I think you have it almost correct, " the Conservatives have an understanding of how to run the economy for themselves."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ah, I see. Thanks to hard work, a divorce and being an only child I am now in possession of a house... however, my most recent company pension which started 2 years ago is expected to produce the tidy sum of £335 per annum ! I have another company pension from way back and a private one that I paid in to for a while when I had the cash but i'll be lucky to get £500 a month from them combined.

I was an only child but left nothing from my parents who both lived in council houses.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The Only thing to remember is that at least the Conservatives have an understanding of how to run the economy, labour and especially Marxist Corbyn has zero idea. All he wants to do is buy every ones vote by spend spend until he bankrupts our country

Who's trolling account is this: [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] or [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I was an only child but left nothing from my parents who both lived in council houses.

Both my parents were born into poverty during WW2. My elderly Father, who has done more than most for this country, says he can 'understand' why people, young people, young people who are taught in Sussex, are going where they're going politically now. He's never voted Labour in his life.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not all young people back Corbyn because many realise he’s an even bigger disaster waiting to happen. What most young people want is a chance at a fair political system that can bring about real, substantial long term change rather than the current system which panders to the group that is the favour of that particular month. In short, they/we want to be given a chance.

I recognise that not all young voters voted Corbyn and not all older voters voted for Leave and the Tories, but at the same time you cannot ignore the trends and direction of political travel, both at the 2016 EU Referendum (the old vote for Leave in disproportionally high numbers, the young vote Remain) and the 2017 General Election (increasing number of younger voters registering and voting Corbyn, older voters returning back to the Tories from UKIP).

Both factors point to problems for the Tories in the medium to long-term. Personally, I think it's pathetic that they think the offer of no stamp duty for first time buyers and a cheaper rail card will win over the under-30s. The Conservatives are nothing more than a party of blaggers winging it with gimmicks, sticking plasters and bluster.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So true.

We have a Tory party that is totally fragmented and has had to pander to the far right UKIP nutters in order to cling to power (despite half the party, including the PM disagreeing with everything that they stand for) and then an equally split Labour party who spout far left policy without any understanding of how they would implement it.

If ever there was a time that needed a proper centrist political party with sensible policies then it's now. Unfortunately we have the Lib Dems who nobody will vote for.

What a f***ing mess.

I think the Lib Dems will gradually rise again, the whole party of the three that are united and have a sensible approach. Brexit hasn't helped them so far, but only now are the true effects of Brexit becoming apparent unless the OBR figures are BS

Of course they will never form the government alone but I wouldn't be surprised to see a coalition with Labour in a few years.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
My friend, I don't expect that you are happy, as I said that I could understand your frustration, did I not? But what you are saying in effect is that thousands should not benefit in the future because you missed the boat. Yes, you are understandably bitter, but there has to be a cut-off line somewhere.

That’s life isn’t it? Most people are selfish until they’re rich enough not to be. And I hate to say it, the £5,000 I had to spend on stamp duty is massive unless you’re on decent money. I could put a deposit down on a new car for that, for example.

As to whether I’m being selfish, we have a country full of people being selfish at every turn. The old voted for Brexit for selfish reasons, the young apparently want Corbyn in because he’ll best serve their interests, the rich middle classes have voted Tory for the last 8 years to retain the status quo and the political classes flat out refuse to consider reforming the political system because it would lead to a power shift. Add that to people avoiding tax to save themselves money, and the poor scrimping every penny they can off the welfare state whilst they sit at home playing on their PlayStations, and you question why I’m being selfish for being utterly f*cking p*ssed when my generation are screwed again...

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I recognise that not all young voters voted Corbyn and not all older voters voted for Leave and the Tories, but at the same time you cannot ignore the trends and direction of political travel, both at the 2016 EU Referendum (the old vote for Leave in disproportionally high numbers, the young vote Remain) and the 2017 General Election (increasing number of younger voters registering and voting Corbyn, older voters returning back to the Tories from UKIP).

Both factors point to problems for the Tories in the medium to long-term. Personally, I think it's pathetic that they think the offer of no stamp duty for first time buyers and a cheaper rail card will win over the under-30s. The Conservatives are nothing more than a party of blaggers winging it with gimmicks, sticking plasters and bluster.

Whilst I respect your right to be a lefty, you can’t honestly tell me you believe Corbyn and Diane Abbot have the potential to offer Britain a positive future?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Philip_Hammond.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whilst I respect your right to be a lefty, you can’t honestly tell me you believe Corbyn and Diane Abbot have the potential to offer Britain a positive future?

I'm not a lefty, I'm Lib Dems, but after the shakedown I see a left of centre Labour party under someone like Umunna or Starmer in power for three terms or more.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm not a lefty, I'm Lib Dems, but after the shakedown I see a left of centre Labour party under someone like Umunna or Starmer in power for three terms or more.
In an (evenlessthanhalf) perfect world we'd have something like this, or a coalition of centre Labour and Lib Dems (I'm sure a few of the decent Tory MPs would jump ship for this too).

Unfortunately with the system we have I doubt I'll ever see it.

Funny that, with hindsight, the Conservative/Lib Dem coalition government that was so heavily slated was actually by far the best we've had in a very long time. Compared to the current shower of shite on both sides, we were in clover.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

The same people moaning about the conservatives would soon be doing the same about labour as they see taxes rise and less money in there pockets as spending once again goes out of control under Labour

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The same people moaning about the conservatives would soon be doing the same about labour as they see taxes rise and less money in there pockets as spending once again goes out of control under Labour

I think a lot of 'lefties' would like to see higher taxes to pay for public services and the welfare state. I know I would.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
That makes no sense. How much something sells for is governed by how much someone is willing to accept for it, and how much someone is willing to pay. Those that get the tax break may now be willing to pay a bit more (as their total spend won't go up), but those who don't get the break won't, and those selling are still willing to accept what they would have (of course they'd like more, people always do, but their bottom line doesn't move). If enough people get the tax break then prices could go up a bit to reflect that, but they won't go up by the same amount, that doesn't make sense.

Although I agree with parts of what you're saying, a big part of the value is also due to supply and demand. The abolishment of SDLT will increase demand, but not supply and is likely to cause an increase to house prices.

I'm one of those unlucky few that paid £3,500 SDLT on my first home last Friday, but have already seen the property value increase since I agreed the price six months ago, so it's not all bad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the Lib Dems will gradually rise again, the whole party of the three that are united and have a sensible approach. Brexit hasn't helped them so far, but only now are the true effects of Brexit becoming apparent unless the OBR figures are BS

Of course they will never form the government alone but I wouldn't be surprised to see a coalition with Labour in a few years.

They will stick to their pro-European line and I think that will win support. With UKIP out of the way and the Tories nailing their Brexit colours to the mast then anyone right of centre and who doesn't agree with the direction May is going has little option but to turn to the Lib Dems. Corbyn's message is hard left and extreme to many.

Labour are in a good place simply because they are not responsible for negotiating and delivering Brexit, yet they have the knowledge they ran Theresa May close in the last election and Corbyn outperformed May personally in the campaign. Corbyn's post-Budget speech in the Commons yesterday showed he is still fired up and genuinely cares about poverty, injustice and the public services - that pot is still on the boil.

The key lies in Labour's ability to maintain an appearance they are the government in waiting whilst broadening their appeal sufficiently wide enough to take back some centre ground and win back enough seats in the North and Scotland to regain the balance of power.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'd pay higher income tax if I could see a certain proportion of it going straight into the NHS, for sure. I also think corporation tax is too low.

So you would put the basic rate up then ..or are you a higher rate tax payer..how high would you increase CT and at what level of turnover

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not an economist I'm afraid, I pay taxes so that others can work all that out.

I was more makng the point that being left leaning, I personally don't have an issue with paying more into the pot if necessary.

Plus - https://www.ft.com/content/a159deba-cb98-11e7-aa33-c63fdc9b8c6c

Fair enough....i just like to find out what someone means when they say raise tax's ..like on who and what and the consequences on the individual and business

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here