Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kodi

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just managed to install Kodi on my Amazon Fire TV Stick. Best Add-Ons?

How?

By virtue of the fact I'm asking the question, please make your answer as idiot proof, as possible.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Just managed to install Kodi on my Amazon Fire TV Stick. Best Add-Ons?

I use paradox which is a wizard build. Has loads of addons that self update saving you the hassle. Looks good too with a different home screen etc.

You need to register with them but there is an seo-michael guide to install it.

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
I have used a Paradox build and it makes it much easier, as if one source goes down there is always a back up!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
In the light of raids and arrests this morning... it may be unwise, and not in NSC's, nor indeed individuals own best interests, for these subjects to be discussed openly here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38906561

"Five people have been arrested, accused of selling set-top boxes modified to stream subscription football matches, television channels and films for free.
The sale of so-called "fully loaded Kodi boxes" has been called a "top priority" by the Federation Against Copyright Theft (Fact).
The five traders were arrested in early morning raids.
Fact said it believed the suspects had made in the region of £250,000 selling the devices online.
Kodi is free software built by volunteers to bring videos, music, games and photographs together in one easy-to-use application.
Some shops sell legal set-top boxes and TV sticks, often called Kodi boxes, preloaded with the software.
The developers behind Kodi say their software does not contain any content of its own and is designed to play legally owned media or content "freely available" on the internet.
However, the software can be modified with third-party add-ons that provide access to pirated copies of films and TV series, or free access to subscription television channels.
The sale of these so-called "fully loaded" boxes is currently the subject of a legal test.
The five arrests were made in Bolton, Bootle, Cheadle, Manchester and Rhyl.
Kieron Sharp, director general of Fact, said the arrests "should send out a clear warning to anyone involved in the sale and distribution of illegal set-top boxes".
"Set-top boxes loaded with apps and add-ons allowing access to copyright infringing material are very much illegal and anyone involved in selling these boxes should not be surprised to receive a knock on the door," he said.
Fact said it had co-ordinated its "day of action" on behalf of the Premier League and subscription television providers BT, Sky and Virgin Media.
The five have been released on bail following questioning."

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
In the light of raids and arrests this morning... it may be unwise, and not in NSC's, nor indeed individuals own best interests, for these subjects to be discussed openly here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38906561

"Five people have been arrested, accused of selling set-top boxes modified to stream subscription football matches, television channels and films for free.
The sale of so-called "fully loaded Kodi boxes" has been called a "top priority" by the Federation Against Copyright Theft (Fact).
The five traders were arrested in early morning raids.
Fact said it believed the suspects had made in the region of £250,000 selling the devices online.
Kodi is free software built by volunteers to bring videos, music, games and photographs together in one easy-to-use application.
Some shops sell legal set-top boxes and TV sticks, often called Kodi boxes, preloaded with the software.
The developers behind Kodi say their software does not contain any content of its own and is designed to play legally owned media or content "freely available" on the internet.
However, the software can be modified with third-party add-ons that provide access to pirated copies of films and TV series, or free access to subscription television channels.
The sale of these so-called "fully loaded" boxes is currently the subject of a legal test.
The five arrests were made in Bolton, Bootle, Cheadle, Manchester and Rhyl.
Kieron Sharp, director general of Fact, said the arrests "should send out a clear warning to anyone involved in the sale and distribution of illegal set-top boxes".
"Set-top boxes loaded with apps and add-ons allowing access to copyright infringing material are very much illegal and anyone involved in selling these boxes should not be surprised to receive a knock on the door," he said.
Fact said it had co-ordinated its "day of action" on behalf of the Premier League and subscription television providers BT, Sky and Virgin Media.
The five have been released on bail following questioning."
You need to read your own post...
It is illegal to sell or distribute these set top boxes when they are fully loaded.. it is not illegal to buy an android box. It is not illegal to use kodi. It is illegal to stream certain content, however, afaik, nobody has ever been convicted of streaming. Do not mix streaming up with downloading.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Surely the arrests were due to the sale and distribution of illegal set top boxes rather than the discussion of how to install some software?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You need to read your own post...
It is illegal to sell or distribute these set top boxes when they are fully loaded.. it is not illegal to buy an android box. It is not illegal to use kodi. It is illegal to stream certain content, however, afaik, nobody has ever been convicted of streaming. Do not mix streaming up with downloading.

I did read it and I do understand the issues. I did also listen to a radio discussion about it this morning. It is posts like Rugrat's above which stray close to the line of legality.

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I did read it and I do understand the issues. I did also listen to a radio discussion about it this morning. It is posts like Rugrat's above which stray close to the line of legality.
True but as I said nobody has been done for streaming, yet. I suppose there is always a first..

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
"Incitement to commit copyright fraud"

It could be argued (and the copyright mob are VERY argumentative) that telling people how to load the software/add-ins which allow them to watch copyrighted content is just such an incitement.
Unlikely that [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] would get his door kicked in by OB, more likely that he'd get a "cease and desist" letter.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
These are the only two add-ons you'll ever need probably. IMHO, like.

Exactly, all these pre built boxes are a nightmare, full of a load of uselss apps that all do the same thing (most very badly)

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
"Incitement to commit copyright fraud"

It could be argued (and the copyright mob are VERY argumentative) that telling people how to load the software/add-ins which allow them to watch copyrighted content is just such an incitement.
Unlikely that [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] would get his door kicked in by OB, more likely that he'd get a "cease and desist" letter.

Exactly.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
out of interest has anyone made an add-on as a shortcut in the settings before and then have it disappear each time the system re-boots. can't seem to find a way to make them stay?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here