Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Dirty Barry

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Now this IS interesting.

I love all three of the Dio era albums. For me the début contains five monumental songs: Man on the Silver Mountain, Sixteenth Century Greensleeves, Self Portrait, Temple of the King and Catch the Rainbow. Rising is utter class from start to finish; monumental riffage, some of the best drumming from Cozy - ever laid down on tape tbh and then there is Ritchie and Ronnie utterly nailing everything to the floor. Tony Carey even peaked with those timeless keyboard flourishes. Long Live... is nearly as brilliant but heads in a more commercial direction in parts and then we have the Gates of Babylon... still the greatest ever guitar solo... period... Kill the king too is glorious. Finally we end with Rainbow Eyes, beautiful and the perfect epitaph to one of the greatest rock bands ever. What followed was, well, wigs... shades and Hawaiian shirts, some okay moments but nothing to touch the majesty of the Dio era.

Still gets plenty of air time in our house.
Dio (RIP) was a voice that sounded like it was from a 7 foot MONSTER. We all know the reality lol
I was never lucky enough to see him when fronting rainbow, but saw him twice when he sang with sabbath.
There’s been some great voices in rock...Dio was argueably the BEST.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Still gets plenty of air time in our house.
Dio (RIP) was a voice that sounded like it was from a 7 foot MONSTER. We all know the reality lol
I was never lucky enough to see him when fronting rainbow, but saw him twice when he sang with sabbath.
There’s been some great voices in rock...Dio was argueably the BEST.

Yeah; his work with Sabbath was brilliant too.

Being in my 30s I only got to see him around 2002/3, during one of his uk tours up in Newcastle. Obviously I loved him prior to this, but people get telling me: he’ll blow you away. They weren’t wrong, I was mesmerised by his voice, it was literally sent from the Gods... he must have been pushing into his 70s by then but he nailed every note... his improv, flights of fancy... simply awe inspiring. The audience was so mixed, young/old women and men paying homage to the greatest ever voice in rock. Undeniable. It must have felt good to Ronnie... proof of his class and relevance in spite of the passing of the years.

They opened with a perfect rendition of Tarot Woman and never looked back, Craig Goldie needs a mention too as he utterly nailed the Blackmore elements. The fact that it was so long ago and I remember more about that night than the girlfriend I took along, says it all. Heh heh... music will always be my first love.

Off to Glenn Hughes this summer, fourth time around... Glenn is totally different yet none less brilliant. When he cranks out Burn... well, what a voice and what a player. Lucky he’s still going so strong.

Rock on bro.

Last edited:

First "big" gig I ever went to - at the Centre when "All Night Long" was a hit and with Graham Bonnet on vocals. Remind me how this thread metamorphosed ?? :)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't think we're in the market for liabilities, maybe a decade ago. What do I know?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here