Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Elderly drivers.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I think the main problem is that drivers over 70 self-assess their fitness to drive.

My uncle used to drive a car, which was not modified, with only one of his arms working properly. He would wave by lifting up his bad arm with his good arm, and shaking it.

An elderly neighbour, who barely knows what day it is, and can't walk more than a few yards, is also still driving. Be warned if you're driving anywhere near those places that offer free lunches to the elderly - his reaction times don't bear thinking about!

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
The other day I was parking in the car park of a well known supermarket in Uckfield, the expensive one at the bottom of the high street as I don't go to cheap ones, and an elderly driver parked next to me. To my horror the Old Git proceeded to open his door onto the side of my car. I got out of my car to ask him to be more careful. He started to go on about how his car was big and that he needed to open the door as wide as possible as he found it difficult getting in and out. Not a word of apology.
I fear this could be my Dad. What was he driving? Even if it wasn't he frequents this car park in large vehicles and could act in an identical manner. You have been warned!

Last edited:

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
As someone that is part of the statistic (Male 16-25), I have never had a car accident, I have never driven over the speed limit and my licence is completely clean.

I don't drive.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
As someone that is part of the statistic (Male 16-25), I have never had a car accident, I have never driven over the speed limit and my licence is completely clean.

I don't drive.

But do you drive anyone mad?:lolol:

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I fear this could be my Dad. What was he driving? Even if it wasn't he frequents this car park in large vehicles and could act in an identical manner. You have been warned!

A Freelander.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Had just parked in the North terminal car park this evening and was about to walk across the zebra crossing. The driver, an elderly man, of an on coming red Skoda Yeti just looked at me and gave me that look of I'm not going to stop even though I should. Yet another example of pure elderly arrogance.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
A young man cut me up at the traffic island, just past Sainsburys Preston Road tonight where the lanes converge. Squeezed through with inches to spare. I say young, I would guess at mid twenties. Is that relevant in terms of providing balance?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is your parking always done in the Gloucester area or do you sometimes come into Sussex? If you do, could you give me an idea of where and when?

PS I can honestly say I've never opened a door on to another car. That's not good driving, it's just respecting people you don't know.
If they've left you a foot or less to get in, it's not possible to avoid contact. So many Chelsea tractors these days (I don't have one, by the way) and two of those can't park in adjacent bays without doors touching. So, either find somewhere with extra wide parking spaces or live with it. Of course, if you're too important to have your car touched (touched, that is, not scratched or dented - there is a difference) why not just plonk yourself in a disabled space - people who use them probably don't need them anyway, eh?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Went to Sainsburys the other day and I got my son to drive. We parked in one of those "Parent and child" spaces. that's ok isn't it ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If they've left you a foot or less to get in, it's not possible to avoid contact. So many Chelsea tractors these days (I don't have one, by the way) and two of those can't park in adjacent bays without doors touching. So, either find somewhere with extra wide parking spaces or live with it. Of course, if you're too important to have your car touched (touched, that is, not scratched or dented - there is a difference) why not just plonk yourself in a disabled space - people who use them probably don't need them anyway, eh?

Hope I never end up parking next to you. Like [MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] I don’t think I have ever opened my door into somebody else’s vehicle. It is not invevitable as you suggest but then again maybe you don’t care much about your car or anyone else’s . Not an unusual attitude I might add. Nothing to do with importance more to do with respect and acting as you would hope others will.

I accept that I am very precious about my cars. I have an Alfa that has body panels made out of tin foil and even a little bang makes a dent so am very conscious of parking away from other cars even if it means a long walk to where I am going. I still have maybe 5 or six little dinks that have been caused by other inconsiderate drivers/passengers. Worst offenders being kids who kick the car door open.

Last edited:

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Went to Sainsburys the other day and I got my son to drive. We parked in one of those "Parent and child" spaces. that's ok isn't it ?

I did that at Waitrose Western Road because there were no other spaces available(would never park in a disabled bay)the parking warden came into Waitrose and told me to move it,I came out all the parent and child spaces were free and still no other spaces available so I had to loiter around waiting for my wife to finish her shopping.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hope I never end up parking next to you. Like [MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] I don’t think I have ever opened my door into somebody else’s vehicle. It is not invevitable as you suggest but then again maybe you don’t care much about your car or anyone else’s . Not an unusual attitude I might add. Nothing to do with importance more to do with respect and acting as you would hope others will.

I accept that I am very precious about my cars. I have an Alfa that has body panels made out of tin foil and even a little bang makes a dent so am very conscious of parking away from other cars even if it means a long walk to where I am going. I still have maybe 5 or six little dinks that have been caused by other inconsiderate drivers/passengers. Worst offenders being kids who kick the car door open.
Another who doesn't distinguish between 'touch' and scratch or dent? I may well have parked next to you, and even touched your car, but you would never have known as there would be no mark at all.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is it just me that puts my hand around the side of my door when opening doors in tight spaces, so that my hand is between my door and the adjacent one ?

Oh, and in my experience, all drivers make mistakes but worst in terms of deliberately aggressive driving - Men in 50's and 60s :angel:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here