25 Years Ago Today. The Poll Tax Riots.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yep - Big experience in my life, Thatcher tried to use the police as her personal enforcers again, this time though they got more than they bargained for and it was the beginning of the end for the witch. Memorable.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes i was there. Not for long mind you as i ended up in hospital and on ITN news at 10

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

For those too young to remember...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_Tax_Riots

The Albion played at Newcastle that day. Was anyone in London ?

I was in London - first year university student.

Had a Saturday job in a shop in Marble Arch but was living across town in the East End. Got my usual Number 6 bus to go home at just gone 6pm and as it went down the Haymarket and into Trafalgar Square I couldn't believe the amount of police and scenes of carnage everywhere. Seems odd thinking that was 25 years ago... where did the time go? :down:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
why are you putting your thumbs down to all my comments on here if you dont like them you need to read them ffs you are really annnoying me
Well stop doing it to me you absolute cretin.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I do remember it being a beautiful day, very warm. I don't remember there being any forecast of trouble.

As much as I am a pacifist, I find myself still very neutral about that day, finding it hard to condemn what happened. The Poll Tax was nothing short of a nasty affliction cast upon the working classes. It cast people into a deeper financial struggle whilst lining the pockets of the 'have's'.

I'd like to see the official files that get released under the 30 year rule.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I was also at the Brixton one(town Hall)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Was living in the Channel Islands at the time so was just a shocking news thing to me. Doesn't half make me feel old though to realise it was so long ago.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
UOTE=Brighton Lines;6870008]I do remember it being a beautiful day, very warm. I don't remember there being any forecast of trouble.

As much as I am a pacifist, I find myself still very neutral about that day, finding it hard to condemn what happened. The Poll Tax was nothing short of a nasty affliction cast upon the working classes. It cast people into a deeper financial struggle whilst lining the pockets of the 'have's'.

I'd like to see the official files that get released under the 30 year rule.[/QUOTE]
Personally I think the current council tax is just as bad if not worse...so many people struggle to pay it and it's a hideous amount to be fair.
Guess these days people just don't get the opportunity to protest as much as back in the day unless you're in some sort of union.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[MENTION=5729]sir albion[/MENTION]

I have a slightly different view. Friedrich Engels, in 'The Condition of the Working Class in England', once said that the English, often seen as cowardly on the continent, have been in quiet revolution for centuries, rather than short violent episodes. 150 years later, I agree. We just do things differently. The Poll Tax Riots were a departure, simply because they signaled sudden, and huge, socially economic regression.

I think we are in a permanent state of protest and revolution in this country. Those who oversee us are afraid of what we a capable of, more than what we actually do. That's why the end of World War II saw the birth of the modern welfare state.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was there all right. I remember the sight when we walked into Kennington Park and saw the crowds of people for the first time.

Most of all, I remember the first speaker: the secretary of the London anti-poll tax campaign, a feisty woman who got the crowd fired up. I remember thinking to myself, I bet she'd be a bit of a handful....

We've been together nearly 15 years now and she's not, she's really not

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was there all right. I remember the sight when we walked into Kennington Park and saw the crowds of people for the first time.

Most of all, I remember the first speaker: the secretary of the London anti-poll tax campaign, a feisty woman who got the crowd fired up. I remember thinking to myself, I bet she'd be a bit of a handful....

We've been together nearly 15 years now and she's not, she's really not

So it took ten years to tame the lady first !

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Putting aside who introduced the 'Poll Tax', personally I think it was a fairer system than rates or council tax.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Putting aside who introduced the 'Poll Tax', personally I think it was a fairer system than rates or council tax.

I was a young man earning half the average wage.
The introduction of the Poll Tax cost me about 8% of my monthly income, whilst the top earners gained considerably more than that. There will be differing views, but I felt a little hard done by.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was a young man earning half the average wage.
The introduction of the Poll Tax cost me about 8% of my monthly income, whilst the top earners gained considerably more than that. There will be differing views, but I felt a little hard done by.

I guess that shows that a local income tax might be the 'fairest' type of local tax ? My point was really that property value is so arbitrary and doesn't take any account of the ability to actually pay. That and it doesn't cost any extra to collect the rubbish from a £2m house than it does a £200k house for example.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I was in London that day, we didnt realise things had gone tits up .First i knew that things were going to crap was much later when i was in French Connection Covent Garden with my sister, a sizeable group turned up smashed all the windows then ran off to be swiftly followed by another sizeable group who looted the place of its goods. I remember thinking they are going to hate those clothes they are stealing as none of them smell like dogshat ,dope ,dead spunk or purile anarchy.They did seem happy and content though that they were finally sticking it to "the man" and robbing a shop of some T shirts and skirts........power to the people!

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Political suicide by Mrs T, although as Kinnock led Labour they still failed to oust the Tories at the next election which was a massive cock up.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Political suicide by Mrs T, although as Kinnock led Labour they still failed to oust the Tories at the next election which was a massive cock up.

It was one of the nails in the coffin,as time goes by it does amaze me people on the left now like to claim opposing the poll tax brought down the Thatcher.government immediately etc etc,The truth is it was 8 months later she resigned and the reasons are far more interesting

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It was one of the nails in the coffin,as time goes by it does amaze me people on the left now like to claim opposing the poll tax brought down the Thatcher.government immediately etc etc,The truth is it was 8 months later she resigned and the reasons are far more interesting

I think it's fair to say that the poll tax was a step too far by Thatcher and lost her and her party masses support. Wiped them out in Scotland. And as you say , 8 months later she was gone. I'd say it was a bag of nails.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here