Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Harper - is it not going to happen?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Leicester signed Knockaert for 765k when he was just shy of his 21st birthday. Was he actually worth that then? When did he come good? Because at 24, he is now worth north of £15m I would guess. Harper has plenty of time to develop.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Messi is small and lightweight. Seems to manage OK. Peter Ward looked like he could be blown over by a light breeze.

Please tell me you are not comparing an unproven u23 player with Messi or even Ward come to that.

Body shape wise they are different and also different positions. Ward struggled on boggy grounds and was left out by Mullery, in favour of Poskett and OTM.

Messi is Messi.

Edit: yes I am referring to Tilley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
We're talking about two different things. You're referring to strikers who we've brought in, who have gone straight into the 1st team and done well for us.

I'm talking about strikers who have either started out on our books as a youth player, or been brought in at a young-ish age (mid to late teens), played in the DS for a few years, and then progressed into the 1st team and done the business.

name me one of those.

If I remember correctly Ward didn't go straight into our first team. He was here for about a year before his debut.
Whether that means we "developed him I don't know."

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If I remember correctly Ward didn't go straight into our first team. He was here for about a year before his debut.
Whether that means we "developed him I don't know."

About 6 months. He made his debut in the run in of the 75-76 season, I think he also signed that season as well.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Please tell me you are not comparing an unproven u23 player with Messi or even Ward come to that.

Body shape wise they are different and also different positions. Ward struggled on boggy grounds and was left out by Mullery, in favour of Poskett and OTM.

Messi is Messi.

Edit: yes I am referring to Tilley.

I was talkng about small, lightweight strikers. Owen is another example. But it appears you were not talking about strikers. Fair enough. It's not so easy to compete in the middle of the pitch without some physicality.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was talkng about small, lightweight strikers. Owen is another example. But it appears you were not talking about strikers. Fair enough. It's not so easy to compete in the middle of the pitch without some physicality.

I agree [emoji2]

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He wasn't in the squad for West Brom which indicates he's either a) injured or b) completely out of favour. I guess the former is more likely.

Or c) [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] hasn't got his facts right (he came on as a 70th minute sub for Connor Tighe on Monday - confusingly, 7 minutes after Harper had come on for Albion).

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Last season he made 22 appearances in the u23s (a few as sub) with 4 goals. His first appearance wasn't until October as he was injured when he joined us.

I'm not picking on you, [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION], but I'm afraid incorrect stats are like a red rag to a bull to me. In the 22 games you mention here you've included 6 games when he wasn't even on the teamsheet (through injury).

In competitive fixtures last season he scored 6 goals in 20 appearances (15 starts, 5 sub appearances). In just league games, it was 4 goals in 16 appearances (13 starts and 3 sub appearances).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems obvious to me that Jack Harper should be fenelon'ed down a division or two on a season-long loan to see if he sinks or swims. Only real way we'll find out.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
He's not really a striker is he..... more of false nine, shadow striker who plays in the pocket behind the main striker...... so who else can play there....... Baldock.... Manu.... Knockaert..... Skalak....... even Murphy...... think it might be more that harper's best positions are where we are pretty strong or at least we could be stronger but Harper would have to really be something to be knocking on the first team door. Even March would be ahead of him.

Having said that a loan might be a good idea.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not picking on you, [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION], but I'm afraid incorrect stats are like a red rag to a bull to me. .

Teach me to dip my toe into NSC U23/Academy/Development waters quoting this , that, and the other where there already is an incredibly useful (and more reliable!) expert on hand over the water...

PS: Some of the stats i quoted came via http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jack-harper/profil/spieler/147524 (how reliable is it ? - do you think ? )

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
About 6 months. He made his debut in the run in of the 75-76 season, I think he also signed that season as well.

Scored on his debut too at Hereford? Never thought we'd end up playing the club he signed from in the second tier of English football though.

Hope Harper can emulate Wardy and score on his debut for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here