Alastair Cook 69
Jonny Bairstow 51
Keshav Maharaj 32.1-8-85-4

South Africa 119 all out
Moeen Ali 15-4-52-6

Moeen Ali match figures 35-11-111-10 :clap2:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Was wondering if 19 wickets had fallen in a day in a Test Match at Lords before. Found this:

"That total of 18 wickets falling in a day is not a Lord's record, with 19 seen twice, 21 going down in the England-West Indies match of 2000 and the highest a remarkable 27 in the Ashes Test of 1888."

Genius.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was out for tea and cake at my daughters, saw 4 down for the Saffers then got home and it's all over ! amazing collapse.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Well I clearly don't have a clue; despite my previous posts it is obvious we needed a lead of at least 450 going into the 4th dig on a wearing pitch. :p

Or not...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well I clearly don't have a clue; despite my previous posts it is obvious we needed a lead of at least 450 going into the 4th dig on a wearing pitch. :p

Or not...

No chance....look at test history. On a percentage basis anything over 250 is usually enough.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Ooooh, three whooshes. I'm honoured. Can't be arsed [emoji23][emoji23]

Apologies but there are so many 'experts' on here who actually know **** all about cricket at any level, be it County,T20, One Day or Test and it does rather piss me off...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Apologies but there are so many 'experts' on here who actually know **** all about cricket at any level, be it County,T20, One Day or Test and it does rather piss me off...

There is more than one way to skin a cat. In the end it was immaterial but there would have been no point declaring 320 or 340 ahead with so much time in the game.

We could have declared over night and still been marginal favourites but on that pitch 130 overs was surely enough which meant our declaration would have given us a near 400 lead if we would of batted with intent and played well.

As it was the South African wickets moved the game forward and we've won with a day to spare.

Good win for England with room for improvement. A better fielding display by the visitors and it may have been a different outcome.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is more than one way to skin a cat. In the end it was immaterial but there would have been no point declaring 320 or 340 ahead with so much time in the game.

We could have declared over night and still been marginal favourites but on that pitch 130 overs was surely enough which meant our declaration would have given us a near 400 lead if we would of batted with intent and played well.

As it was the South African wickets moved the game forward and we've won with a day to spare.

Good win for England with room for improvement. A better fielding display by the visitors and it may have been a different outcome.

Agree that would be typical, but it's highly unlikely the Saffas would have chased down anything over 250, especially with how the pitch was behaving.....but extreme caution usually means we'll try to get 450 ahead to make the game 'safe'. The game has moved on so much in the last 20 years or so (scoring rates), makes the argument for 4 days tests a bit stronger. Personally hope things are left as they are though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

No need to apologise.....and I agree with you.......my bad for not looking at earlier posts [emoji849][emoji849]

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I was only following on cricinfo today as I was watching the nipper playing for Yorkshire. But I did say to one of the other dads that by the sound of how the pitch was, anything over a 300 lead should be enough. He was wanting 400+ due to time in the game.

So basically I'm aftertimimg my agreement with [MENTION=6741]jakarta[/MENTION] 😂

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I was only following on cricinfo today as I was watching the nipper playing for Yorkshire. But I did say to one of the other dads that by the sound of how the pitch was, anything over a 300 lead should be enough. He was wanting 400+ due to time in the game.

So basically I'm aftertimimg my agreement with [MENTION=6741]jakarta[/MENTION] ��

I agree anything over 250 should be enough, but why take risks declaring with either a 250, 320 or 350 lead when you can take the game out of their reach with c.400 and still have loads of time (3.5 sessions) to bowl them out.

Percentages dictate you take the low risk option which still gives you a great chance of winning.

I see no advantage in declaring with a 320/340 lead when you can bat aggressively and put the game completely out of reach.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Agree that would be typical, but it's highly unlikely the Saffas would have chased down anything over 250, especially with how the pitch was behaving.....but extreme caution usually means we'll try to get 450 ahead to make the game 'safe'. The game has moved on so much in the last 20 years or so (scoring rates), makes the argument for 4 days tests a bit stronger. Personally hope things are left as they are though.

England and Wales were over 100-1 when post 182 was made but what do I know about cricket. Can't wait for help on deciphering the Second Test.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here