Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice on buying a computer needed.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This. If I were in your position I'd download the 64-bit Cinnamon version of the latest Linux Mint, burn it to a USB stick and boot from it. This would leave your existing Windows installation exactly as-is and give you a chance to try out Linux without having to deal with the installation process and repartitioning your hard drive. You would be able to see whether your hardware gives performance that you're satisfied with for browsing and using office software. Booting from the stick should automatically detect your existing hard drive and make it available, so you would also get to check whether the Libre Office programs cope with your Word and Excel files.

However, the otherwise pretty helpful instruction PDF on the download page only deals with burning the Linux disc to DVD, which I don't recommend: running directly from DVD is always painfully slow and doesn't give a good indication of what installed performance would be. And I've been using Linux as my primary OS for so long now that I've never had to make a bootable USB stick from Windows, so I don't know what's the best way to do that. Although I see that UNetbootin is available for Windows, so it shouldn't be too challenging.

I'm recommending Mint because it has a look and feel that's quite similar to Windows so it's easier for Windows users to get to grips with. Other flavours of Linux are available. Trying Linux for the first time can be a bit of an adventure and you do need to be prepared to spend a bit of time mucking about to get it working just right, but if you decide that it suits your needs there are a few users on NSC who would be able to advise you on installing it for real. It's generally no worse than installing Windows from scratch, so if that's something you have experience of you'll probably be fine.

I use Ubuntu Linix on another machines bur as said its a convenience thing for windows.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
[MENTION=12090]Garage_Doors[/MENTION] I'd buy I new one if I were you as well, given how cheap they are nowadays. That machine is great value and will be light years ahead of your current one, you may be able to find cheaper actually, but I'd be happy with that. If you do shop around, as long as you ensure you get an Intel i3 or i5 processor then it'll be great for you.

Please check the one you're looking at includes Windows? Sometimes the really cheap ones don't!

Thanks for that, No there is no OS with it which for me is a good thing , I will be putting Windows 7 Pro on thats plenty good enough for me.
Otherwise i would be paying of a OS that i didnt want.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
a 250w ps for a start
lol, yeah that's a bit lame but this is what you get in the budget end. The load will be less than 200w with that processor, no dedicated graphics and a couple of disks, so I'd imagine 250 is ample.

Probably a bit moot :)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools

My processor runs at 5.8 but my primary hard disk (SSD) at 7.3

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here