Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jones In

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
This board and Brighton fans get more and more ridiculous by the day and I simply cant believe what i'm reading. So were in a relegation battle which could see this club drop into League one which would be catastrophic for the club with a guy in temporary charge who has no managerial experience at all and because of an awful first half and then decent second half at home to an average Reading team and 3 points at Fulham he now gets the job, has the world gone mad.

We need an experienced head more than ever to lead us and if Jones gets picked ahead of Hughton or any other linked manager then it's the cheap option and will again for me show a total utter lack of ambition and for me would be signing our own death warrant. The issues at the moment in the team ran deeper than Sami Hyppia, lets not forget that Jones was sat next to him all along, coaching them, training them and i'm sure helping pick the team, that's all forgotten is it due to a good win. I don't care if the guy remains at the club or not, I feel no special feeling towards Nathan Jones, where were these motivational pick me ups for the last 6 months?

This clubs future in this division is paramount.....DO NOT PICK THE CHEAPO OPTION, get in what the club needs and it's clearly not Nathan Jones!

This all day long

D

Deleted member 2719

So you think he was a good manager then!?

I think he was a very unfortunate manager, not the worse manager to walk the planet like so many portray.
He had Pethick,marney,kitson in a lot of those games. Let's face it king bob is a big miss for any team even today.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
I hope he's given the chance to prove himself until the end of the season and then we can consider the situation then.

I'm finding him more inspiring a candidate than the other names that have been bandied about. He knows the squad inside out and seems to know how to motivate them.
Jones IN, boring Hughton OUT

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
all managers are a gamble though. Most have been sacked at some stage for not getting the required results. What makes any of the current apparent short list a sure fire success? Why would hughton not be a big gamble?

In a word, experience.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This board and Brighton fans get more and more ridiculous by the day and I simply cant believe what i'm reading. So were in a relegation battle which could see this club drop into League one which would be catastrophic for the club with a guy in temporary charge who has no managerial experience at all and because of an awful first half and then decent second half at home to an average Reading team and 3 points at Fulham he now gets the job, has the world gone mad.

We need an experienced head more than ever to lead us and if Jones gets picked ahead of Hughton or any other linked manager then it's the cheap option and will again for me show a total utter lack of ambition and for me would be signing our own death warrant. The issues at the moment in the team ran deeper than Sami Hyppia, lets not forget that Jones was sat next to him all along, coaching them, training them and i'm sure helping pick the team, that's all forgotten is it due to a good win. I don't care if the guy remains at the club or not, I feel no special feeling towards Nathan Jones, where were these motivational pick me ups for the last 6 months?

This clubs future in this division is paramount.....DO NOT PICK THE CHEAPO OPTION, get in what the club needs and it's clearly not Nathan Jones!

Spot on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I seem to remember that Jones was brought in partly because he could speak fluent Spanish. It's interesting to see how he's already getting the best out of Colunga. If we want to continue the Spanish feel of the club, and maybe bring in the next Ulloa, is that a good argument for keeping Nathan at the helm?

No.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Totally right. No wonder Barber's talking Jones up because he'd save money in the short term but would be a financial disaster if, and it's a very real if, we got relegated under him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think he was a very unfortunate manager, not the worse manager to walk the planet like so many portray.
He had Pethick,marney,kitson in a lot of those games. Let's face it king bob is a big miss for any team even today.

So why, after his very poor start admittedly, did Steve Coppell steadily improve our results once appointed?

Actually, I'll answer that, because he was an experienced manager who knew what was required and implemented his plan that so very nearly kept us up, despite Tinselhead's ridiculously poor set of results and the financial constraints he faced.

An important lesson from history IMHO.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
In a word, experience.

You appear to be going round in circles without answering the question.
How does experience guarantee future results and therefore make him a non gamble?
Someone at some stage had to give mourinho experience the same with pep, gary monk or even hughton. How can you say Nathan Jones would not turn out the same way. Alternatively, he may do what any number of coaches who step up do and fail, nothing is guaranteed.
To say hughton would succeed because he has experience is not an answer

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Totally right. No wonder Barber's talking Jones up because he'd save money in the short term but would be a financial disaster if, and it's a very real if, we got relegated under him.

Appointing Jones ahead of an established manager will save peanuts.

The choice of manager is important, in the sense that an attractive Albion team will keep/encourage the crowds back.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings

This in spades. Fk me our fans need a reality check sometimes.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You appear to be going round in circles without answering the question.
How does experience guarantee future results and therefore make him a non gamble?
Someone at some stage had to give mourinho experience the same with pep, gary monk or even hughton. How can you say Nathan Jones would not turn out the same way. Alternatively, he may do what any number of coaches who step up do and fail, nothing is guaranteed.
To say hughton would succeed because he has experience is not an answer

IMHO experience is vital. Our board have publicly stated it is the key criterion in their selection process. No guarantees, of course, but an experienced manager should be able to quickly assess what he has, what he needs, develop a plan, implement it, improve results, and survive the drop. Whereas an inexperienced manager is more likely to make mistakes and not know how to rectify problems (see Sami for example).

I am telling you now we need someone with championship and premier experience if we are wanting to be a prem club and NJ does not fit the bill....good comeback against Reading and good win at Fulham but a couple of defeats and we are in the so called mire again and if its NJ we stick with that in itself shows we have no ambition other than saving money which will not get us anywhere near the prem league...at least getting Houghton in who I think will be in for the long haul and has the experience of getting the club back where it belongs and should be and that is back challenging at the top end of the division as well as working bringing the youngsters through

D

Deleted member 2719

So why, after his very poor start admittedly, did Steve Coppell steadily improve our results once appointed?

Actually, I'll answer that, because he was an experienced manager who knew what was required and implemented his plan that so very nearly kept us up, despite Tinselhead's ridiculously poor set of results and the financial constraints he faced.

An important lesson from history IMHO.

Coppell was IMO one of Brighton's best managers.
However Coppell had Zamora back and when he was match fit things changed from there, also I don't know if you can recall we had Petterson in goal for the vast majority of Hinslewoods losses. So a weak keeper and our star player in the last 30 years missing........come on fess up Hinslewood was in unfortunate.
I still prefer Jones to Hughton can't put my finger on it I just don't feel INSPIRED by Hughton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here