Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky or Virgin -

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
So I am paying £108 per month to Sky (Sports, Internet, Phone Line and 1xMulti Room) Seems to be getting more and more. What is Virgin like for similar Package? Cant believe it is as much?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Give em a call 0845 454 1111. Their customer service can be as variable as anyone else's but I'm pretty happy

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
You will get all that cheaper on Virgin by around £10 per month. You will save even more if you sign up via quidco, I made the same move 2 months ago and am saving money but with a better package. Give Sky a chance to match it, but oddly enough with me they made very little effort.

Be ready to switch back though, probably won't work out cheaper to stay with Virgin once you've had your cash back and the discounts run out.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Do you have any discounts? If not call Sky up and cancel. They'll either offer you 50% off on the spot or 50% off before your months notice ends. Don't accept anything less. Some people are able to get up to 75% off. This is for their TV. They'll probably offer something on your phone/internet as well. I've never paid full price for Sky TV. Planning to switch to their phone/internet in a couple of months once my contract with BT ends.

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
Virgin do seem to put their prices up every 6 months, I have cut back my package and just have the basic TV, Phone and Internet, comes in at £46

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Do you have any discounts? If not call Sky up and cancel. They'll either offer you 50% off on the spot or 50% off before your months notice ends. Don't accept anything less. Some people are able to get up to 75% off. This is for their TV. They'll probably offer something on your phone/internet as well. I've never paid full price for Sky TV. Planning to switch to their phone/internet in a couple of months once my contract with BT ends.

No discounts that I know off, just a letter last week saying my monthly fee was going up again, was only then I looked at what I was paying and I was quite shocked really. Virgin website appears to have some decent offers on the table at the moment.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
You will get all that cheaper on Virgin by around £10 per month. You will save even more if you sign up via quidco, I made the same move 2 months ago and am saving money but with a better package. Give Sky a chance to match it, but oddly enough with me they made very little effort.

Be ready to switch back though, probably won't work out cheaper to stay with Virgin once you've had your cash back and the discounts run out.

Exactly this, I change every 18 months or so. Last time I moved from Sky to Virgin I got ~£250 cashback for using topcashback, half price for 6 months and £50 statement credit. there is no point in being loyal anymore.

FWIW I pay Virgin £115 P/M for XL TV package, sports + films, Broadband and phone. Beware though, ontop of their charges they also charge £15 P/M for use of BT phoneline. I dont have a phone connected to it, and broadband/TV goes through their cable network. I have tried to have this charge removed but they say the BT line is something that they need to have connected.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Virgin broadband is unbeatable BUT their tv is poor. I switched from Sky a few months ago and frequently suffer from a poor quality picture with lots of pixellation. Have had Virgin out several times and been told that the signal is too weak, so they did a new pull through of cable. No better. Engineers came out again and told me the signual was too strong! Theyvfitted attenuators to rectify. No better. Two further call out and each time the engineers said there was nothing they could do. Both said they are just not as good as Sky as their bandwidth is very small compared to Sky. On top of all this, On Demand service is poor compared to Sky and the operating system is clunky, certainly not as slick as Sky. Virgin's initial price was cheaper but when you start with the add ons it comes in at around £112 a month, and that is without the sports channels in HD. I have another 147 days to go on my contract then it's back to Sky asap! Of course, other people will have different experiences but I can't wait to get shot.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Stay with SKY. purely worth it for Sky Atlantic, plus the on the go feature is much better on sky, well worth £5 for sky go plus, if you have kids or go on long journeys yourself.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I too am thinking of changing, I have multiroom tv with sky and phone and infinity with bt, works out about £120 a month.
Virgin offering the fastest broadband they do, 1 x tvio 1tb 1 x tvio 500gb and 1 v+ box and phone line for £64 a month.
We have so much trouble with our internet and phones with BT and their customer service lines are so bad, I've just about given up on them

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
So I am paying £108 per month to Sky (Sports, Internet, Phone Line and 1xMulti Room) Seems to be getting more and more. What is Virgin like for similar Package? Cant believe it is as much?

This post is in no way a gloat of any sorts, just trying to help.

I signed up to Sky for the very first time (not a previous customer etc) earlier this year and bartered (over Sky Chat online) for the whole package:

Talk (the most basic talk package)
Internet (unlimited)
TV (inc. Sports, Movies & HD)

For £52.00 a month.

If they do this for me, I've got no doubt that if you keep pushing hard enough, you'll be able to find a good deal.

Edit: & I also got £150+ cash back from the Top Cash Back website.
Give it a go?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Sky all the way - for the last four years (every January) I call to say I want to cancel and I've been offered half price deals for 12 months twice, and 6 months twice. Currently paying £31 per month since January for everything (except the movies). You must haggle and don't take no for an answer!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Phone Sky up, tell them that you are leaving because you can't afford it (tell them you lost your job or something) they'll offer you something juicy as long as you refuse enough of their offers.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
This post is in no way a gloat of any sorts, just trying to help.

I signed up to Sky for the very first time (not a previous customer etc) earlier this year and bartered (over Sky Chat online) for the whole package:

Talk (the most basic talk package)
Internet (unlimited)
TV (inc. Sports, Movies & HD)

For £52.00 a month.

If they do this for me, I've got no doubt that if you keep pushing hard enough, you'll be able to find a good deal.

Edit: & I also got £150+ cash back from the Top Cash Back website.
Give it a go?

Thanks, Can I just ask what this "Topcashback" website is all about....

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
To all these people saying SKY will give you this and that, it's not always a given!

Was on top package (except Movies) for 10+ years plus Broadband. Called up to cancel and bloke offered 10% discount for 6 months. Told him to do one (not literally!).

Said he was sorry to lose me as a customer and that was that! Thought I would miss it, but I don't. Wih BT Infinity for my broadband and FreeSat for the TV (external hard drive to record the TV).

Buy the occasional £10.99 weekly pass if any decent games are upcoming on SKY.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Thanks, Can I just ask what this "Topcashback" website is all about....

No problem, always worth a shot.

I use Top Cash Back (TCB) all the time.
You can buy pretty much anything from any high street or online store via the TCB website and earn cash back.
I've earned £450 so far this year through buying Car & Motorbike Insurance, AA Breakdown Cover, a mobile phone contract and a couple of flight bookings.

Either search 'Top Cash Back' online or click on my oh-so-cheeky referral link below!

:blush:

TopCashBack Link

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'd be concerned about the reliability of Virgin TV, I mean it's very very very rare that the satellite dish doesn't pick up a signal. Slightly less rare that one has a blip in the cable signal.

For those who regularly change, is it not a complete ars* with cables etc? All of my boxes and stuff are hidden under the stairs would be a right pain.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To all these people saying SKY will give you this and that, it's not always a given!

Was on top package (except Movies) for 10+ years plus Broadband. Called up to cancel and bloke offered 10% discount for 6 months. Told him to do one (not literally!).

Said he was sorry to lose me as a customer and that was that! Thought I would miss it, but I don't. Wih BT Infinity for my broadband and FreeSat for the TV (external hard drive to record the TV).

Buy the occasional £10.99 weekly pass if any decent games are upcoming on SKY.

Had the same experience with Sky Sports. Currently running it through the computer and linking to TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here