Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A small piece in praise of the Albion's cycling facilities.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Like bikes on the train, it only really works in really small numbers. That's why the trains ban bikes for about 36 hours either side of the London-Brighton Bike Ride.

Would be marvellously entertaining to see the Amex try and cope with 30,000 punters arriving by bike. Or even 3,000 :lol:

0806_PMC-group.jpg

I think we are a long, long, long way from having so many supporters cycling that it causes congestion headaches. 150-200 per match is pretty poor IMO. 1000 would be an ambitious, but achievable total that could easily be accommodated on existing cycle paths. Obviously more bike stands would be needed, but they don't take up a huge amount of space and can go pretty much anywhere. I think it would need some imaginative promotion to significantly increase numbers though and I don't get the impression the will is there at the club. The Amsterdam Arena has 3000 cycle spaces so it can be done. Don't see a problem myself.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think we are a long, long, long way from having so many supporters cycling that it causes congestion headaches. 150-200 per match is pretty poor IMO. 1000 would be an ambitious, but achievable total that could easily be accommodated on existing cycle paths. Obviously more bike stands would be needed, but they don't take up a huge amount of space and can go pretty much anywhere. I think it would need some imaginative promotion to significantly increase numbers though and I don't get the impression the will is there at the club. The Amsterdam Arena has 3000 cycle spaces so it can be done. Don't see a problem myself.

The trains don't seem to be able to cope very efficiently with anything approaching 20,000 using them. Reckon you're being naive in the extreme in assuming the club could cope with even a tenfold increase in cyclists.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The trains don't seem to be able to cope very efficiently with anything approaching 20,000 using them. Reckon you're being naive in the extreme in assuming the club could cope with even a tenfold increase in cyclists.

I don't think I am. Could you be more specific about the problems that you think would be caused by, say, 1000 people cycling to a match at the Amex?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think I am. Could you be more specific about the problems that you think would be caused by, say, 1000 people cycling to a match at the Amex?

Oh for Pete's sake, grow up. Where's the 1000 places to chain your bike coming from? It must be really lovely to pretend you're a little kid once more and can pedal wherever you please with gay abandon. Think it through a wee bit and you'd see it wouldn't work. Just like taking 1000 bikes on a train. Soon as the numbers get too big, the environmental blah blah goes out the window and it gets banned.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Oh for Pete's sake, grow up. Where's the 1000 places to chain your bike coming from? It must be really lovely to pretend you're a little kid once more and can pedal wherever you please with gay abandon. Think it through a wee bit and you'd see it wouldn't work. Just like taking 1000 bikes on a train. Soon as the numbers get too big, the environmental blah blah goes out the window and it gets banned.

Well that's a grown-up way to conduct a discussion. Not. The guy [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] has already pointed out that the Amsterdam Arena has 3000 bike parking spaces. For example, it would be perfectly possible to extend the covered cycle parking the other side of the station on the walking route to the Bridge, to cater for a lot more cycles. Just because it's not your bag, don't presume there aren't perfectly workable solutions. Nobody's suggesting taking bikes on trains to the match.

Everyone would benefit if there are smaller queues for other transport modes.

I sometimes cycle from Lewes and leave my bike chained up near the Swan, FWIW.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well that's a grown-up way to conduct a discussion. Not. The guy [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] has already pointed out that the Amsterdam Arena has 3000 bike parking spaces.

Amsterdam has a big bike culture and the intrastructure to boot. Brighton has neither. Your take on things is nothing more than wishful thinking, based on you having a bike and currently having somewhere to chain it up. Bless.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

What are you talking about? There's masses of room at the Amex for bike stand - you could fit several hundred along the walkway that runs between the railway and BACA. And there's lots more room around the perimeter. There's room for more than 1000, quite possibly enough for the 3000 that Ajax has.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Amsterdam has a big bike culture and the intrastructure to boot. Brighton has neither.

That's a different story. What you originally said was that there wasn't enough space at the Amex for 1000 bike stands - which is palpable nonsense.

Whether there's the bike culture to support 1000 stands is a different matter but what Uter was saying is that the club could increase the numbers if they provided the facilities. I certainly don't think 1000 is way out, I'm certain there could be more if the stands were there. I stopped cycling because I found it harder and harder to find somewhere to leave the bike, if I were guaranteed a space, I'd be more likely to come back.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's a different story. What you originally said was that there wasn't enough space at the Amex for 1000 bike stands - which is palpable nonsense.

Whether there's the bike culture to support 1000 stands is a different matter but what Uter was saying is that the club could increase the numbers if they provided the facilities. I certainly don't think 1000 is way out, I'm certain there could be more if the stands were there. I stopped cycling because I found it harder and harder to find somewhere to leave the bike, if I were guaranteed a space, I'd be more likely to come back.

Whether you would be guaranteed a space or whether you wouldn't is neither here nor there. The Amex, like the trains, can only cope with bikes in very small numbers. As your post admits. It's just not a viable transport solution. Tho the club would gain an environmental Blue Peter Badge for at least going through the motions.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

To be honest I don't really know what to say to a response like that.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
I cycled from the Amex to Carrow Road for the 3-3 draw under Hyypia a few years ago, the cycle facilities here are far better than there I can assure you!

In the last few years, I've cycled to about 90% of the games I've attended, it's the best way. The cycle lanes on Lewes Road encourage cycling there and there are plenty of places to park up. I usually stay the other side of the footbridge so I can hop on the A27 immediately afterward without having to battle through the crowds on the walk down to the Bridge car park.

We do the same, and with the police parked either end of the bus stops you know your bike is quite safe, I can get home within 20 mins of the final whistle. It's not too bad along the short bit of the A27 you just have to have your wits about you and plenty of lights on the bike.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
I have cycled regularly to the Amex since 2011. Now find I have to get there earlier in order to get an under cover bike rack. It is by far and away the quickest, healthiest way of getting to matches. I’ve got an e-bike now, which does make the journey a tad easier for the 72 year old legs

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

If only there was space:-

DVNR4QrX0AI9WtX.jpg

Amazingly if you took your argument this morning with Tyrone, on regaining gun control in America, and applied it to cycling in the Uk, you'd now be siding with Uter and others here.

It'll take time to chip away at that most stoopid of country's gun laws . But the NRA can their apologists can have no sane answer to why any American citizen legitimately requires ownership of an assault rifle to protect their family.
It'll take time to chip away at our most stoopid of country's transport laws. But the AA and their apologists can have no sane answer to why any British citizen legitimately requires ownership of 3 cars to transport their family.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Well yes, facilities certainly, but I suspect it would take something more to boost numbers to the 1000 mark. What exactly, I'm not sure, but some supporters would need a push to try cycling out, e.g. some sort of campaign in conjunction with Albion the Community. FWIW I don't actually cycle myself, but I can see the benefits for a smoother match day transport operation for ALL supporters by increasing cycling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
C8ohOaTXkAA5SOT.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well yes, facilities certainly, but I suspect it would take something more to boost numbers to the 1000 mark. What exactly, I'm not sure, but some supporters would need a push to try cycling out, e.g. some sort of campaign in conjunction with Albion the Community. FWIW I don't actually cycle myself, but I can see the benefits for a smoother match day transport operation for ALL supporters by increasing cycling.

Changing football to a summer sport would probably help the most!

That is the thing that makes me laugh most about all the anti cycling campaigning.
You hope to take an extra 1000 people out of the bus/train/car park queue and all you get in return is a shitload of negativity.

Nobody in the metal death traps seem capable of thinking:-
'crack on guys, what can I do to help you make my journey, by car, quicker and easier'.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Well, yes. I certainly don't think that providing 1000 spaces would mean 1000 cyclists, not immediately anyway. But I think there would be an increase and it would need other initiatives. I like the idea of incentives to travel by bike, I'm sure that could boost the numbers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here