Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Fullers buy Dark Star

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
For me Doom Bar isn't the same beer since Sharpe's was taken over by Coors a few years ago.

I think it's an incredibly bland beer. Not sure it was much better in the independent years, as it seemed to lack a bit of bite even then, but these days it's certainly a dull pint. (With nice marketing.)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Ooh London Pride my favorite drink.

Amazing this love in for Dark Star and yet sales were so poor in the first couple of seasons at the Amex that the club ditched it. Go figure.
Not according to Dark Star themselves more that they could not compete with Harveys to make it worth the effort. ESL it was very popular.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The quality of their beers has definitely taken a dive. APA used to be one of my favourite beers bit for whatever reason it seems a lot blander these days.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think it's an incredibly bland beer. Not sure it was much better in the independent years, as it seemed to lack a bit of bite even then, but these days it's certainly a dull pint. (With nice marketing.

It's all about person al tase I guess. I loved it in it's original incarnation, but as you say it's been dumbed down to become just a very average pint of beer really.

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
Argh, not again.

Gales used to be my favourite brewery until Fullers swooped for them. Now Dark Star as well? grumble grumble. I know they kept HSB going but I do miss a pint of GB.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Fashinable though isn't it.

Lets be honest most these beers taste like rotten old socks. Ok , so they have an edgy name like Goblins anus or something but they taste like utter utter shi te.

Although I like an occasional ale that did make me laugh :thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
[emoji38]ol:

what do you prefer? Seriously interested
Decent lager, most of my mates drink this ale now that tastes like soap but they won't admit they're just trying to be trendy

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Youngs was merged with Charles Wells up in Bedford in 2006, so nothing to do with Fullers. They did close the Wandsworth Brewery as it was hugely valuable Real Estate. Occasionally drive by there and nothing much seems to happened as yet, presume much of it has Listed status?

The Ram Brewery building is grade II listed. I believe it is due to be converted to accommodation as part of a redevelopment of that area of Wandsworth, albeit the existing facade and building will remain intact. As part of the redevelopment there is supposed to be a Microbrewery on site and housed in the old 'Porter Tun Room'.

I'm a bit surprised about Dark Star getting into bed with Fullers. I used to enjoy Gales Best and Butser bitters but they have gone, as has the lighter 'Fullers Chiswick to be replaced by the rather thin Seafarers which I don't much care for.Hope this isn't the end for Hophead which is a lovely summer beer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The quality of their beers has definitely taken a dive. APA used to be one of my favourite beers bit for whatever reason it seems a lot blander these days.

When it first came out it had quite some kick from the hops in it, maybe they have softened it a bit or we have become used to it or it may be there are lot more APA beers out there these days.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Met Sir John Young in his twilight years, during the re-commissioning of HMS Invincible in 2003. He was a VIP as he was ex an ex Fleet Air Arm fighter pilot, who fought in the Battle of Britain. What an amazing man. Got chatting to him on the flight deck, he asked where I was from & then told me he owned a brewery in London.
I said my auntie worked in a Young's pub, The Fountain at Plumpton Green. What's her name he asked, so I told him & he knew her well. He was still turning up for work early every morning at the age of 92 & knew all the long serving staff in their pubs. He had strong ties to Sussex actually. Anyway, he invited me & my guys, (the flight deck party) to his brewery. What a day, leathered! He put on a great spread & joined us for a few in the pub at Wandsworth which was part of the brewery. Did the whole tour, even went for a little ride with the drey horses.
Anyway, not much of an ale man but back to the OP's topic, I don't actually mind London Pride, & I'm usually a lager lout.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Met Sir John Young in his twilight years, during the re-commissioning of HMS Invincible in 2003. He was a VIP as he was ex an ex Fleet Air Arm fighter pilot, who fought in the Battle of Britain. What an amazing man. Got chatting to him on the flight deck, he asked where I was from & then told me he owned a brewery in London.
I said my auntie worked in a Young's pub, The Fountain at Plumpton Green. What's her name he asked, so I told him & he knew her well. He was still turning up for work early every morning at the age of 92 & knew all the long serving staff in their pubs. He had strong ties to Sussex actually. Anyway, he invited me & my guys, (the flight deck party) to his brewery. What a day, leathered!

Sounds like a great day. He was a lone voice in the wilderness when the brewers were turning to keg in their droves. He was at a meeting of the brewers when a funeral went past and one of the brewers said "There goes another one of your customers, John." He lived to see the real ale revival.

Couple of corrections though: he was 85 when we died - the brewery ceased brewing the same week that he passed away - and he was never knighted, he was plain John Young. When you think of some of the rogues and wastrels who have picked up a K, that's a disgrace.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
For me Doom Bar isn't the same beer since Sharpe's was taken over by Coors a few years ago.

I like Fullers beer, especially London Pride.
Doom Bar is very hit and miss now, surprised that it is all still brewed in Cornwall (except bottles) as they are producing so much now.
Apparently it is due to storing it outside, get a barrel that been kept inside as it all used to be then it's good.
Don't know how true that is because every pint in The Navy in Plymouth is absolutely bang on.
Coors are still producing all the Sharps range as well.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not according to Dark Star themselves more that they could not compete with Harveys to make it worth the effort. ESL it was very popular.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

The club produced fugures on beers sales a few years back. Dark Star sold so little

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Damn ... and Hophead was my favourite beer too. Hopefully won't have to find a replacement but if I do then happy to switch to Long Man Long Blonde and/or Copper Hop

Longman Brewery has been my favourite for a while now. Particularlly the APA. Currently 2 bottles of Long Blonde or APA for £4 at Co-op atm.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here