Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Eurostar to Amsterdam

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have travelled Eurostar to Brussels several times then connected to Brugge, Antwerp and Ghent, the train allows you to bring a couple of well laden bags of beer back :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If two people left Big Ben at the same time one by plane etc and one by eurostar who would be at the Johan Cryuff Arena first, taking into account waiting time at the airport.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Have travelled Eurostar to Brussels several times then connected to Brugge, Antwerp and Ghent, the train allows you to bring a couple of well laden bags of beer back :thumbsup:

Was just going to say that. I took a larger than needed bag, just so I could load up on Belgian beer goodness.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If two people left Big Ben at the same time one by plane etc and one by eurostar who would be at the Johan Cryuff Arena first, taking into account waiting time at the airport.

reckon that would entirely depend on timetables.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Longer travelling time, but you're cutting out the faff of the airports at either end, AND it'll take you directly to the central station in Amsterdam, rather than having to get a train from Schipol airport to the city centre. Winning.

Train rides are fun too for seeing the country. I did an 8 hour trip on an Amtrak jobbie from Minneapolis to Chicago a couple of years ago and loved it, seeing the American Midwest whizzing past. Infinitely preferable to a flight, if you have the time.

The other thing about Schiphol Airport is they don't seem to have built the terminal anywhere near the runway. You land, then there seems to be a 20 mile taxi before the plane pulls up at the stand.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The other thing about Schiphol Airport is they don't seem to have built the terminal anywhere near the runway. You land, then there seems to be a 20 mile taxi before the plane pulls up at the stand.

Oh man, THIS. I thought we were driving to Belgium, it took forever.

Quite apart from the fact that last September, the flight I had there was the worst, most anxious flight I have EVER had. I was going to say terrifying, but it wasn't quite at that level. But the turbulence as we were coming in to land was like nothing else I've ever experienced, the plane was moving all over the shop. The pilot then aborted the first landing, pulled up and circled round for another go, and the second time was every bit as rough, maHOOsive sudden dips in altitude that left your stomach in your ribcage, crosswinds all over the shop. Eventually he plonked it down, but fvck me, my knuckles were whiter than a UKIP convention.

Yeah. Trains good.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Sounds like a Top Gear challenge (well, Grand Tour now, but, ya know).

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
On the basis they are quoting £35 each way so £70 return, there a lot saying it cheaper to fly??
Are you saying you can get a return flight to Amsterdam for less than £70?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On the basis they are quoting £35 each way so £70 return, there a lot saying it cheaper to fly??
Are you saying you can get a return flight to Amsterdam for less than £70?

Seems that way if you can have some flexibility, although you'll need to find another £20-25 to take a hold bag.

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 22.43.17.png

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

OK, you've thrown down a nominal challenge. I'll try and pick it up. Let's suppose both leave at 8am on the first Sunday after the London St Pancras to Amsterdam Centraal service starts.

Going via Heathrow - cost in travel alone (tube, flight, Dutch trains) - around £110. Arr. 15.14.
Going via Gatwick - cost in travel alone (tube, flight, Dutch trains) - around £140. Arr. 16.44
Gogin via Eurostar - cost in travel alone (tube, trains) - around £78. Arr. 15.04.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Seems that way if you can have some flexibility, although you'll need to find another £20-25 to take a hold bag.

View attachment 94039

Guessing that's the problem as i don't have that flexibility, When i travel it always seems to be a case of handing over the wallet and say help yourself, but to be fair i did get some £16 flights to Germany next week, but that got stung for double that to take cabin bags, yes not hold luggage, now they charge extra (Ryanair) for cabin bags as well.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Some textbook internet bullying again

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
OK, you've thrown down a nominal challenge. I'll try and pick it up. Let's suppose both leave at 8am on the first Sunday after the London St Pancras to Amsterdam Centraal service starts.

Going via Heathrow - cost in travel alone (tube, flight, Dutch trains) - around £110. Arr. 15.14.
Going via Gatwick - cost in travel alone (tube, flight, Dutch trains) - around £140. Arr. 16.44
Gogin via Eurostar - cost in travel alone (tube, trains) - around £78. Arr. 15.04.

Good skills! What starting point is that based upon - Brighton Station?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Guessing that's the problem as i don't have that flexibility, When i travel it always seems to be a case of handing over the wallet and say help yourself, but to be fair i did get some £16 flights to Germany next week, but that got stung for double that to take cabin bags, yes not hold luggage, now they charge extra (Ryanair) for cabin bags as well.

Booking early is pretty key to get the better fares for this sort of thing if you want to travel at popular times, ie out Thursday/Friday morning, back Sunday afternoon for a city break.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
If I were based in central London I'd much prefer to jump on a train there that would whisk me to straight into central Amsterdam than have to go through the hassles of two airports, as well as getting to the first airport and away from the second.

Also, as [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] says, being on a train, in comfort, provides far greater opportunity to work, if you need to, than a flight (and surrounding faffing) would. For some reason I've always been more productive on trains than almost anywhere else.

However, when you're starting from the Sussex coast and also have to factor the time to get up to the Eurostar, not to mention the expense of the journey from here, a flight from Gatwick is likely to be the winner most of the time.

The train trip is being advertised at 3 hours 41, not inc a stop In Brussels on the return leg for passport re checking! Add the hour from Brighton to St Pancreas plus your clearly going to need to get there at least half an hour b4 that’s 5 hours, from Brighton the plane is the cheapest, quickest and let’s be frank most comfortable option, who wants to be on trains for 4 hours 41 minutes when you can be on a plane for no more than 1:25?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here