Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Palace views on Allardyce’s retirement u-turn (to Everton)

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Talking of Reading, I saw somewhere that Jaap Stam would be considered for the Burnley job if Dyche leaves. I'd prefer Stam to Moyes or Martin O' Neill - the only other names I have seen mentioned.

Jaap Stam of 20th-placed Championship strugglers Reading? Or a different one?

He plays a rigid game based on huge amounts of unthreatening possession, that creates no chances - a style very familiar to Brighton fans, that has been utterly found out even by opposition managers and players at Championship level.

Not only would his attempts at that style in the PL see him massively found out, but the squad Dyche has built would be completely unsuited to it.

I'd LOVE you to appoint him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jaap Stam of 20th-placed Championship strugglers Reading? Or a different one?

He plays a rigid game based on huge amounts of unthreatening possession, that creates no chances - a style very familiar to Brighton fans, that has been utterly found out even by opposition managers and players at Championship level.

Not only would his attempts at that style in the PL see him massively found out, but the squad Dyche has built would be completely unsuited to it.

I'd LOVE you to appoint him.

Harsh. Stam took charge the year before last, after they had finished 17th. He didn't have the time or money to rebuild to any great extent and didn't have the players at Reading to play an expansive game effectively. You allude to Poyet here, but he he was backed with a bit of money and still chose to play this way. Sure, Reading have been found out but equally you could say that last year they massively excelled and that this year they are probably still no worse than when he took over in a division where several opposition teams have huge bankrolls compared to his own.

I'm not saying Stam would be a tremendous appointment for Burnley, but I would be interested to see how he set them up. We simply don't know if he is one-trick pony, or whether he is actually pragmatic and flexible enough to set his team up effectively according to the players he has available.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Harsh. Stam took charge the year before last, after they had finished 17th. He didn't have the time or money to rebuild to any great extent and didn't have the players at Reading to play an expansive game effectively. You allude to Poyet here, but he he was backed with a bit of money and still chose to play this way. Sure, Reading have been found out but equally you could say that last year they massively excelled and that this year they are probably still no worse than when he took over in a division where several opposition teams have huge bankrolls compared to his own.

I'm not saying Stam would be a tremendous appointment for Burnley, but I would be interested to see how he set them up. We simply don't know if he is one-trick pony, or whether he is actually pragmatic and flexible enough to set his team up effectively according to the players he has available.

He took over in 17th, and two years of (reshaping his squad and imposing his style) later they are 20th and as you say "probably still no worse than when he took over". Not exactly a ringing endorsement!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He took over in 17th, and two years of (reshaping his squad and imposing his style) later they are 20th and as you say "probably still no worse than when he took over". Not exactly a ringing endorsement!
You appear to be skimming over the ONE full season he's had with them when they got to within penalty kicks of the top flight. Given that we are seemingly agreed that his squad is lower mid-table by rights, what more of an endorsement do you want?

To clarify, I would like to see how he does with a bigger budget. If he bought a load of crab like midfielders and played 5 or 6 of them at a time, I'd agree with you. But we simply don't know that's what he'd do.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
You appear to be skimming over the ONE full season he's had with them when they got to within penalty kicks of the top flight. Given that we are seemingly agreed that his squad is lower mid-table by rights, what more of an endorsement do you want?

To clarify, I would like to see how he does with a bigger budget. If he bought a load of crab like midfielders and played 5 or 6 of them at a time, I'd agree with you. But we simply don't know that's what he'd do.

The views I've posted here are not mine - they are those of several employees* of Reading FC / Madejski Stadium that I have been working with over the last couple of months, at the stadium. The football is dreadful, the results are pitiful, and the fans are bored rigid.

*who will obviously remain nameless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here