Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not a particular opinon, as such, but The Pickwick papers by Dickens shows how a Jury worked or could be worked in the mid 19th Century. It is still the same today.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The two guys he was protecting were told by the CPS and police that they were not required for the trial and their evidence would not be presented.I hope,but doubt,there will be an inquiry into this.Hope Stokes sues for damages.

I think if Stokes has any sense he will keep his head down, take a long look at himself, and decide what sort of person he wants to be. Irrespective of the verdict he doesn’t come out of this looking good, and he has a history of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If Stokes is indeed the "hero" and saved the two gay guys from a bashing, then you can understand the jury siding with his account and finding him not guilty.

But how that also absolves the other two defendants involved in the affray, I have no idea. Well, I think I do. It all comes back to the "were you there, would you have felt personally in danger", and if the honest answer to that is "no" then thats how they ALL got off, including the two nasty pieces of work, one of them with a bottle.

Its an unsatisfactory outcome. Stokes has been fortunate IMO, the other two even MORE fortunate. Its the correct decision within the law, but only because of that caveat that is always inserted in an affray charge. Perhaps the CPS should have had more on the chargesheet than simply 'affray'.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Post 465 seems to give answers.

Which basically brings the whole law/offence of affray into disrepute as it is absolutely worthless. According to the rules on affray as applied in this case, it is alright to beat someone senseless, as long as no bystanders are alarmed that it might be their turn next. Obviously, CPS made a wrong decision in using it at all; chronically inept, IMHO.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which basically brings the whole law/offence of affray into disrepute as it is absolutely worthless. According to the rules on affray as applied in this case, it is alright to beat someone senseless, as long as no bystanders are alarmed that it might be their turn next. Obviously, CPS made a wrong decision in using it at all; chronically inept, IMHO.

p03l2j1d.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does afray carry a bigger sentence than say ABH which may explain why the CPS went for that rather than a lesser charge with more chance of a guilty verdict. I noticed in the shop this morning the headline on The Sun not surprisingly mocking the verdict.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
That was interesting. But why didn't the Stokes defence team call them as witnesses?

I don't know.Perhaps they considered the video evidence supplied by the Sun was more than sufficient to show it was a poor prosecution.

Perhaps that explains the Sun's headline today?

Tribunal Alta

Aug 13, 2018
Back in the day
Serving on a jury in 2016 was an eye opener for me. The court system was very well run, the judges brilliant in expertly and fairly managing the cases, and the jury’s work well. The Hangem and He-Must-Be-Innocent types weren’t allowed by the intelligent rest to railroad the equitable process.
Have you served on a jury? What was it like?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Does afray carry a bigger sentence than say ABH which may explain why the CPS went for that rather than a lesser charge with more chance of a guilty verdict. I noticed in the shop this morning the headline on The Sun not surprisingly mocking the verdict.

Affray, maximum sentence 3 years
ABH maximum sentence 5 years

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
did lol when saw those 2 gay blokes on the news last night.

Not condoning it but if he did do a little dance to them or whatever then I'm sure it was all in jest.

Yeah agree he should sue

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have you served on a jury? What was it like?

Yes, in 2016 at Hove. I got lucky and served as a juror in two, week long trials - one an alleged sexual assault and the other alleged GBH by two young men in a Sussex town. By an incredible bit of luck, 11 of us served together on both juries (out of a jury room of 40 odd candidates each time).

I had thought that it would be hard to stay awake, but it wasn’t like that at all.

Really enjoyed the experience. About 9 of us were very vocal in the deliberating room. Carefully going through our notes taken in court, really interesting directions on law by the judge including recent changes on sexual assault definitions, our instincts where a witness for the sex assault victim thought he could hoodwink the court with exaggerating, timelines, etc.

The human interactions within the jury were fascinating. Being cosmopolitan Sussex we had all types. Two blokes from Saltdean and Worthing kind of took control on organising, focus, votes, but without trying to unduly influence ditherers.

I’d do it again.

A measly £30 per day allowance I recall, no matter your level of lost income.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All-rounder Stokes, who in August was cleared of affray, has been fined a total of £30,000 and batsman Hales £17,500, £10,000 of which is suspended for 12 months from now.

Hales did not face criminal charges.

Their case was ruled on by the Cricket Disciplinary Commission, which is independent from the ECB.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46486977

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here