Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
As for who sent me this, I have no idea, can anyone else hazard a guess? They have a penchant for 80s - 90s english shoegaze / indie pop / indie rock?

Lots of classic tracks here - a very handsome CD. Cover star is Harry Baldwin. I'm very confident I know who is responsible for this. VERY confident.......

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Lots of classic tracks here - a very handsome CD. Cover star is Harry Baldwin. I'm very confident I know who is responsible for this. VERY confident.......

Yep. I can guess this one. It was the June Brides inclusion that nailed it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There's a generational thing going on here. I have heard of EVERY band whereas I'd heard of a fraction of yours. My guess is this stinks of [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION]

Yep. I can guess this one. It was the June Brides inclusion that nailed it.

#tips hat

Harry Baldwin was my Mum's Great Uncle, innit.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I love family trees. I've been slightly selective - I've omitted agricultural workers in Poling, Argus hacks (my dad) and Norfolk farm workers.

Same. Have omitted educational psychologists and a fast food restaurant manager located on New England Road.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Riding Bikes – Shellac: One of those lead guitar is the bass and the bass is the lead, spoken word experimental tracks that is once again likely to split the jury right down the middle. I say “one of those” but this is actually pretty unique which is in its favour. I’m going to come down on the “love” side of the Marmite scale. Plus when I played it out loud people went “what is THIS?” which is the reaction I think they were after. Love or hate? Here it is for the NSC nerds to decide.

Played this a couple of times more tonight and it's fast becoming my favourite thing over the whole two CDs. As well as being experimental it's witty and a bit dangerous and like a rock band playing house without a fast 4/4 beat. This has genuinely surprised me!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The Bin's Festival

Many thanks to my Santa for a double CD of delights, most of them new to me. So here is my review. Some of these will definitely be appearing in more detail on my iPod. Classic of course.
CD1 - The Bin’s Night Out
1 Here we go – Mr Scruff. Great opener – I am convinced I recognise the sample (funky horns) but cannot place it.
2 Rainy Night in Georgia (Boozoo Bajou Dub) – Tony Joe White. Would never have recognised the song. Cunningly a collaborative rework of a song by the writer rather than the artists that made it famous. Trippy soul music.
3 Fight Them Back – Steve Mason. Apart from calling this pop I am struggling to describe it. Aggressive lyrics that would not sound out of place on some hardcore albums but sung in a pop song with strings and backing singers. Like.
4 Dubbing in a Africa – Augustus Pablo. As it says on the tin: “dub”, African-style, and none the worse for that. From a guy who went on to work with my favourite dubster, King Tubby.
5 Ndakhumudwa - Malawi Mouse Boys. African, but sounds Cajun, and with the forgotten skill of whistling. Infectious and cheerful.
6 African Airways – Seun Kuti & Egypt 80. More from Africa, this time in English (at least partially). Lots of horns, good-time music that I could not help but dance to.
7 Lady Day & John Coltrane – Gil Scott-Heron. Great Jazz fashioned after the blues
8 Live Wire – the Meters. Instrumental funk. What’s not to like?
9 Pushin’ On – Alice Russell. Pleasing soul song
10 Ali Maula (Simon and Diamond Remix) – Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. Middle Eastern dance music
11 The 911 Curry – Cornershop. Classic Cornershop pop with Indian lyrics. Lively, very poppy.
12 Ska’d for Life (Instrumental Mix) – Orbital. Ska does not feature a lot, OK not at all, in my music collection. This is an Orbitalised instrumental ska tune, so electronic rhythms with an overlaid ska beat and a hint of Guns of Navarone (I think).
13 One Touch – LCD Soundsystem. Dance music that sounds very ‘80s but isn’t, something to do with the vocal style.
14 Baptism - Crystal Castles. Europop (ish), but not European after all! Sadly not named after the very fine arcade game though using some effects that sound straight out of an arcade. Oh don’t get me wrong. I like Europop.
15 The Bells (Blue Potential Version) – Jeff Mills with Montpellier Philarmonic Orchestra. Odd combination of lively classical orchestra with an electronic beat. And bells. Works for me.

CD2 – The Bin’s Chill Out
1 Fix the Blame – Terry Callier. Lovely folk-blues protest song, kind of reminiscent of Jack Bruce. Definitely will be acquiring some.
2 Black Swan – Thom Yorke. I should have paid attention to the lyrics when I was driving home after Millwall (“… this is f 'ed up..”), I could have sung along. Loudly.
3 In all the wrong places – Ulrich Schnauss. Gentle German electronica. Would have preferred a harder edge (think early Tangs) but this is a chill out.
4 Biscuits – Fink. Just the sort of thing I like. Quirky and personal. Wistful lyrics over a very sparse tune. Found myself humming this one while I was out.
5 Daffodils – The Aliens. Nice psychy sixties vibe. Could have done with a bit more!
6 The Projects (Pjays) – Handsome Boy Modelling School. Tuneful hip-hop, angry but mellow and perfect in chill-out.
7 Charge - Elbow. First artist on this side I have actually heard of (though I have since found out that Thom Yorke is in Radiohead). Straight-up piece of beauty with lots of feeling and strings.
8 Suffering – War on Drugs. At last a song I have! Another relaxation; dreamy and ideal Sunday morning.
9 P___ing in the Wind – Badly Drawn Boy. Wave your arms in the air and sing along, uplifting.
10 Billy in the Lowground – Goldheart Assembly. Festival music. Sit down on the grass in the sunshine.
11 Harper Lee – Little Green Cars. Ditto. Not my sort of thing, but I can see why people in their thousands like it. Well written
12 Comeback (Light Theory) – Josh Rouse. Funky, foot-tapping and soulful.
13 Someday We’ll All Be Free – Donny Hathaway. Proper 70’s soul. A fine message to all of us …

Overall a bouncy feel to CD1, a chillier groove to CD2 (as expected).

No idea of the Santa's true identity. A wide range of sounds from 70's to recent. Could be anyone!

Since it's been four days without a guess from anyone I am going to speed the process up a little. I think you should be looking for an older "Festival Dad" type who like a pint and has already reviewed, professing a love of techno, dub and African music in said review.

:whistle:

*drums fingers*

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Since it's been four days without a guess from anyone I am going to speed the process up a little. I think you should be looking for an older "Festival Dad" type who like a pint and has already reviewed, professing a love of techno, dub and African music in said review.

*drums fingers*

Sorry GB - I usually love having a guess at these, but haven't got round to this one yet - too many Xmas parties at work. I agree with your profile of the compiler, and would add that he's probably in his forties, perhaps writes a blog, can't stand Russell Brand and takes a keen interest in the public houses of Portslade. Just need to review who fits that profile now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Sorry GB - I usually love having a guess at these, but haven't got round to this one yet - too many Xmas parties at work. I agree with your profile of the compiler, and would add that he's probably in his forties, perhaps writes a blog, can't stand Russell Brand and takes a keen interest in the public houses of Portslade. Just need to review who fits that profile now.

Genuine :lolol:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Played this a couple of times more tonight and it's fast becoming my favourite thing over the whole two CDs. As well as being experimental it's witty and a bit dangerous and like a rock band playing house without a fast 4/4 beat. This has genuinely surprised me!

Arguably, their most recent album that is their weakest! Shellac are brilliant.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

*drums fingers*

I clearly should have read post #1043 a bit more carefully :facepalm::dunce:

and re-reading my review, I clearly quite enjoyed it.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Song has attitude.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I clearly should have read post #1043 a bit more carefully :facepalm::dunce:

and re-reading my review, I clearly quite enjoyed it.

A couple of notes etc. I love that you liked Terry Callier. I first encountered him many, many years ago at my friend Sam's flat at the end of a 48 hour bender. I had had it until he put this CD on and I just went "WHO WAS THAT?". I once toyed with the idea of trying to write a film about a really, really, ordinary person called Joseph just so this could be the opening credits. He's a fascinating guy, a singer, academic and early computer engineer. Sadly passed on, I mourned him like I knew him.

Steve Mason used to be the lead singer of The Beta Band. A few of their members then went on to found The Aliens. I would heartily recommend checking out all three. There is also a musical and familial link to Django Django. i thought I was all over this, subtle trainspotting link wise, but [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] has outdone me since James Yorkston who I loved in his CD2 has also been instrumental in this scene and directly involved with The Aliens. That's me seeking out James Yorkston albums......

Also really glad you liked Fink because my brother co-produced it. We were discussing the album the other day at his 40th and i love that track like you do. Mind you we were also discussing Sami Hyypia, writing plays, damp, and how many Mojitos it takes to make you miss your last train home. And that's what I can remember.

Jeff Mills is one of the original Detriot techno star DJs. I have a slight obsession. Often he was to be seen playing live with DJ equipment, three decks, a synth and a drum machine so that every set was different. I once saw one of his signed 808 drum machines on ebay for 3 grand and thought "that's quite cheap", not that I had 3k sitting around. The project with the orchestra is my attempt at musical marmite because I haven't yet heard a reaction that isn't either positive or "what a pile of pretentious w**k".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here