Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Does Everyone Hate the English?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yes, well I used the phrase "approach with caution" in more of a tongue in cheek fashion than you have taken it. You are rather a literal character. That aside, I have spent a LOT of time in Northern Ireland, esp Belfast, from the day I was born. My Mother was a nurse on the Bogside, my Great Uncle was the Dean of Belfast, My Grandfather a Canon in Belfast Cathedral, all my maternal family live in Belfast and other areas of N.I
Do forgive me but given your history of spouting utter rhubarb on here, I'll go with my own extensive experience thanks. From the old tensions that unsurprisingly rise to the surface when alcohol flows (whatever you believe, you really do need to be aware of who you are talking to in a lot of pubs in Belfast) to the present day spotty youths convening on street corners to wave the British flag and antagonise the locals.
In England you' likely be okay.
Some parts of Belfast are a different story. Someone with a gob like yours could find themselves in very hot water.

It has been going on for so long, I don't think it is ever going to change, or if it does, it will be an awful long time. I always recall my dad saying that when he was stationed there in the early 50s, long before the worst of the troubles, you could go into any pub on the Falls Road and it would be fine as long as you didn't bring up anything political or to do with religion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, well I used the phrase "approach with caution" in more of a tongue in cheek fashion than you have taken it. You are rather a literal character.
Maybe you've been wooshed.

Do forgive me but given your history of spouting utter rhubarb on here, I'll go with my own extensive experience thanks.
What ???

Someone with a gob like yours could find themselves in very hot water.
:rolleyes: And yet I never do find myself in hot water.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Maybe you've been wooshed.

What ???

:rolleyes: And yet I never do find myself in hot water.

When someone with more experience than you tells you something, use it as a chance for education.
I’m glad you have stayed out of strife but then I doubt even you would go into a Belfast pub and gob off.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
That’s interesting. I worked for a while in a very rural part of southern France..in the Biarritz hinterland, on farms with a lot of young Europeans and French kids.

We got on really well with all, but I remember going into a bar once filled with old guys who absolutely despised us.

ah! the basques,depends which side of the border you are

San Sebastian had my car vandalised (french plate,right hand drive)

Bayonne needed a puncture fixed,locals only too pleased to help,once they found out I was British

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just casually catching up with the Al Murray thing on History “Why Does Everyone Hate The English”

Now, I’m not a massive expert but I have been around a bit and my observations are this:

France: I worked in France as a student, I have a French counterpart at work who I deal with daily and I have dated a couple of French girls, overall I think that their pride is offended by us and they regard the British as oafish and self interested BUT they like our humour and self deprecation and, for some reason, they find well presented Englishmen as deeply sexy.

Germany: They don’t hate us. They love us. End of.

America: Love us. Want to be us. THEIR NATURAL ALLY. You have to fight off American birds with a stick.

Nordics: Considering how godawful ugly we are compared to them they LOVE the English.

Spain: They really don’t like us.We treat their country as a joke and they are proud people.

Aussies: They love to hate us. Without us they would have no one to take the piss out of. Same with NZ.

Russia: They hate everyone.

Besides this... it’s down to NSC.

Completely correct.

Canadians love us, too. Especially the sexy accent.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Swedes think we’re charming if a little uncivilised at times!

I happened to be in the Arctic circle part of Lapland with the Lapps. Now, on the face of it they are a very odd bunch who live exclusively on Reindeer...believe me, it’s reindeer for breakfast, reindeer burgers for lunch reindeer sausage, reindeer steaks for dinner. Their women are squat and dumpy and the bar...if you want anything stronger than beer and wine you have to order it at the post office for next day delivery (alcoholism and suicide are rife up there). That said they were very grateful for our verbal support during the Finnish/Russo war and all of them smuggle vodka in from Russia so they are pissed permanently.

Very beautiful...saw the northern lights...amazing..and lived in a reindeer skin hut. The only downside was two f**king Palace fans rocking up on a sledge.who would have thunk it.,!,

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

D

Deleted member 2719

I can confirm German girls love english guys, well they did in Torquay in the mid 80s.

:banana::banana:

D

Deleted member 2719

I can also confirm that Danish girls that were on a hockey tour in Torquay, would have loved the english guys if they hadn't been lesbians.:rant:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I can also confirm that Danish girls that were on a hockey tour in Torquay, would have loved the english guys if they hadn't been lesbians.:rant:

With the grammar...I have to ask...who were lesbians? The English blokes or the Danish stick waving clam lappers?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I happened to be in the Arctic circle part of Lapland with the Lapps. Now, on the face of it they are a very odd bunch who live exclusively on Reindeer...believe me, it’s reindeer for breakfast, reindeer burgers for lunch reindeer sausage, reindeer steaks for dinner. Their women are squat and dumpy and the bar...if you want anything stronger than beer and wine you have to order it at the post office for next day delivery (alcoholism and suicide are rife up there). That said they were very grateful for our verbal support during the Finnish/Russo war and all of them smuggle vodka in from Russia so they are pissed permanently.

Very beautiful...saw the northern lights...amazing..and lived in a reindeer skin hut. The only downside was two f**king Palace fans rocking up on a sledge.who would have thunk it.,!,

The Sami? I’ve only encountered two, one I study with and is a lovely guy, the other didn’t have any legs and bit my girlfriends mother!

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I have never had any problems either. But all my family are Irish. I have an English accent though so still have to be careful what pubs I go into in and around Belfast and parts of Derry. Louth is just below the political border so it can be dodgy but it's the Catholics in the UK that one should approach with caution.

You will get treated much better being English in Catholic parts in Northern Ireland than Protestant Scotland. English Catholics tend to be the most ferventt Brits, a lot fo the top generals were English Catholic in the troubles and the only bigotry I viewed was the English Catholics tended to look down their noses at the Irish Catholics there has always been a class issue as well the English Catholics who have no Irish ancestry tend to be upper middle class and the Irish were working class.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
The Sami? I’ve only encountered two, one I study with and is a lovely guy, the other didn’t have any legs and bit my girlfriends mother!

Yeah.the Sami. I had this very odd conversation in the hut with this bird, English very hit and miss but very direct. I was telling her that Brighton is the centre of the British universe...she laughed, grabbed my balls and fell over unconscious. Totally blitzed on Russian Voddie. My night in the hut was spent with her snoring her head off...then at about 6 am she was off to do whatever they do with reindeer. It was light all bloody night...I didn’t know what the fuc was happening the whole time I was there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here