Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You've been saying the same that every 6 months or so for a good 10 years on here.

Possibly for the first time, you are correct, but the same would be the case if your beloved ***** on the left were in power right now. Brexit is just too big for any single party to navigate harmoniously. The last election was a good one to lose.

The thing is Corbyn wants out more than anybody else

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You've been saying the same that every 6 months or so for a good 10 years on here.

Possibly for the first time, you are correct, but the same would be the case if your beloved ***** on the left were in power right now. Brexit is just too big a clusterf*** for any single party to navigate harmoniously. The last election was a good one to lose.

Corrected for you

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'll race you to read to the end, and then we can compare summaries. (I have a lot of experience of speed reading. It comes from years of having to deal with Government departments) :wink:

*edit* I think Bozza's clock is wrong and these posts are going up in the wrong order :p

never been a reader, I'll let you lot keep me updated

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
So, do you still think that we are going 'no deal' and if you do, how do you see us overcoming the issues I have highlighted above or do you think the timescales will have to shift significantly ?
After the last hour, I am convinced it will be "no deal"

How do you overcome the issues? I don't know. You don't know. No one knows. But the law of the land is we leave the EU on 29th March 2019. That is the law and will happen.

If it's without a deal, then something will be put in place, whether it be temporary or permanent.

Do you really think the rest of the World will suddenly stop buying our goods, or more importantly stop selling to us?

Do you really think EU countries will suddenly stop buying our goods, or more importantly stop selling to us?

The EU sells a lot more to us than then buy. Do you really that will change with no deal? Obviously as things stand, you don't see a way around this, but I am sure with a no deal, whether temporary or permanently something will be put in place for 30th March. Even if new laws need writing something will have to happen.

Do you really think countries like Germany, Spain, Belguim, Holland, will really stop selling to us on 30th March? Whilst it may be the wet dream of the EU council, its just not going to happen. You may not be able to see a solution right now, but one will have to be found.

PM May is finished. I actually believe she has done the best she can. But its nowhere near good enough. Long term I see the biggest losers are the EU. I think this the day the EU signed its own death warrant. What the EU want, and what the individual EU countries do may differ somewhat. But May could have just said we cannot agree, its no deal. But that would have been unworkable for remainers. They needed a choice and they got one. Its a crap deal, or no deal.

I will be amazed if this goes through parliament. We will default to no deal, and we will leave the EU on 29th March. Whatever happens after that, no one knows. But the idea of us being unable to trade to anyone anywhere, is just not going to happen.

I would be surprised if secret draft trade deals are not in place all over the world. Maybe if the worst happens we will switch to them on a temporary basis. We are entering uncharted territory, no one really knows what is going to happen, so lets not pretend we do. But as far as the law states, as I understand it, and as MP keep saying on the TV, law dictates we are leaving on the 29th March, deal or no deal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
After the last hour, I am convinced it will be "no deal"

How do you overcome the issues? I don't know. You don't know. No one knows. But the law of the land is we leave the EU on 29th March 2019. That is the law and will happen.

If it's without a deal, then something will be put in place, whether it be temporary or permanent.

Do you really think the rest of the World will suddenly stop buying our goods, or more importantly stop selling to us?

Do you really think EU countries will suddenly stop buying our goods, or more importantly stop selling to us?

The EU sells a lot more to us than then buy. Do you really that will change with no deal? Obviously as things stand, you don't see a way around this, but I am sure with a no deal, whether temporary or permanently something will be put in place for 30th March. Even if new laws need writing something will have to happen.

Do you really think countries like Germany, Spain, Belguim, Holland, will really stop selling to us on 30th March? Whilst it may be the wet dream of the EU council, its just not going to happen. You may not be able to see a solution right now, but one will have to be found.

PM May is finished. I actually believe she has done the best she can. But its nowhere near good enough. Long term I see the biggest losers are the EU. I think this the day the EU signed its own death warrant. What the EU want, and what the individual EU countries do may differ somewhat. But May could have just said we cannot agree, its no deal. But that would have been unworkable for remainers. They needed a choice and they got one. Its a crap deal, or no deal.

I will be amazed if this goes through parliament. We will default to no deal, and we will leave the EU on 29th March. Whatever happens after that, no one knows. But the idea of us being unable to trade to anyone anywhere, is just not going to happen.

I would be surprised if secret draft trade deals are not in place all over the world. Maybe if the worst happens we will switch to them on a temporary basis. We are entering uncharted territory, no one really knows what is going to happen, so lets not pretend we do. But as far as the law states, as I understand it, and as MP keep saying on the TV, law dictates we are leaving on the 29th March, deal or no deal.

Then I'm afraid we will have to disagree. I think the last few posts have shown that I have a reasonable idea of what 'no deal' means, it's implications and the issues arising from it. I think therefor, that the assumption that because you don't understand it, then no-one else does is somewhat misplaced.

Nobody wants to stop trading with us but what, exactly do we do at all our borders (including the currently non existing one in NI) on 1st April (most appropriate) 135 days time if we take your line of 'no deal' and something will be worked out ?

What do we charge each country and each individual product as import tariffs if we don't have any rates agreed with the WTO? How do we manage the charging and management of those tariffs and how do we check all imports to decide what they are and where they are from ?

I can assure you there are no 'secret trade deals' in place.

The EU will extend our membership with the same (or increased fees and no influence over any aspect of the rules under which we trade). It makes no sense for them to have their nearest neighbour blow their brains out, economically speaking. The mess will effect them !

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have addressed any one of the issues I have highlighted. I'm trying to avoid the word 'fantasy' but am struggling for an alternative :shrug:

We all have to deal with reality in the end (except for Ppf when there is always a new colour of crayon to taste)

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
ARTICLE 132
Extension of the transition period
1. Notwithstanding Article 126, the Joint Committee may, before 1 July 2020, adopt a single
decision extending the transition period up to [31 December 20XX]

2089 or 2099 just to be sure?

Jan 30, 2008
Then I'm afraid we will have to disagree. I think the last few posts have shown that I have a reasonable idea of what 'no deal' means and it's implications.

Nobody wants to stop trading with us but what, exactly do we do at all our borders (including the currently non existing one in NI) on 1st April (most appropriate) 135 days time if we take your line of 'no deal' and something will be worked out ?

What do we charge each country and each individual product as import tariffs if we don't have any rates agreed with the WTO? How do we manage the charging and management of those tariffs and how do we check all imports to decide what they are and where they are from ?

I can assure you there are no 'secret trade deals' in place.

The EU will extend our membership with the same (or increased fees and no influence over any aspect of the rules under which we trade). It makes no sense for them to have their nearest neighbour blow their brains out, economically speaking. The mess will effect them !

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have addressed any one of the issues I have highlighted. I'm trying to avoid the word 'fantasy' but am struggling for an alternative :shrug:
# depressed ,the end is nigh! I say the end is nigh !, listen to my words or forever live in the dark ages , cleanse you soul and embrace the EU dear people for that is the future
regards
DR

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

That’s odd, there is a draft joint EU/UK document doing the rounds describing in great detail how our membership of the EU is coming to an end and that this “shall enter into force on 30 March 2019”. I havnt yet seen any draft document describing our membership of the EU being extended, you been staring too closely at your crystal ball again?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here