Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ramadan

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the dates are about a month earlier every year

ah well.....that'll teach me.....:thumbsup: would be pretty hard on nordic muslims would it not ...observing ramadan in the middle of summer where the sun barely sets for weeks.

was this mohammed's way of telling them they should not venture too far north or south one wonders.???:moo:

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
it's only once a year...so it can't be in winter and/or summer can it....??

As it seems to move by about 11 days a year (interval of 354 days ish) you can get 2 in one year, it happened in 1965,1997 and will happen again in 2030

I could probably handle the no eating or drinking during daylight hours but no sexual activity either?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was in Dubai for part of Ramadan last year (twice)
-out of respect, no eating or drinking in 'public' (ie at your desk etc)
-some cafes remain open, but have their windows fully screened
-the pantry, in-house starbucks-type place and canteen in the office were open, but again fully screened off
-many Muslims will have at least some fluid during the day, depending on your teaching it's not absolutely forbidden, but if you do take anything then normal practice is to give something to the needy/homeless etc to make up for it (there is a word for this but I've forgotten)
-Iftar (fast-breaking) after dusk is a big deal, with large family gatherings every evening
-local working hours are adjusted - 9-5 typically becomes 8-2.30/3 instead, people then go home. Based on what my team are like I would also suggest output declines significantly (including from the Expats). It's a bit like the Christmas/New Year period over here but without the pissups and lasting a lot longer.
-the incidence of accidents on the roads increases dramatically during Ramadan as low blood-sugar levels cause havoc with concentration and reaction times (so the locals tell me)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The Mohammedians follow a desert culture, so its reasonable to find abstinence and fasting rather than feasting and harvest festivals you find in temperate climates.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not really , especially when they show their true colours now that being a ''proud brit'' isnt an earner for them anymore.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/01/amir-...can-box-for-pakistan-at-rio-olympics-5918191/

He used to box in shorts that had a Pakistan emblem and flag on one side and a Union Jack on the other. I don't think it was any secret that he was proud to honour the birthplace of his parents as well as the country he was born and bought up in.
I doubt Britain have agreed to send professionals to the Olympics yet......... If ever. I'll check.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
There are plenty of reasons to object to religious pedagogues acting it out in this country. Just a couple.

Why are you so happy at religious observants who's faith considers you inferior? And advocates your persecution in so many ways?

If they are strict like this on fasting, what else? Preying on the females of the unbeleivers? Stoning women for adultry, putting homos to death.

I dont see much else in this thread than snivelling suplicants, its that which is sad.

I have no desire to celibate superstitions and illogical customs of any faith especially one thats got a blood soaked history.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
He used to box in shorts that had a Pakistan emblem and flag on one side and a Union Jack on the other. I don't think it was any secret that he was proud to honour the birthplace of his parents as well as the country he was born and bought up in.
I doubt Britain have agreed to send professionals to the Olympics yet......... If ever. I'll check.
Yes i know he did , and there lies the problem,his first loyalty , like most of pakistani descent that ive known , is to Pakistan, now that his pro career is pretty much over and proclaiming his pride in being british isnt an earner , he is reverting to type.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The person I quoted rather sarcastically suggested that Ramadan is healthy - then calling those that carry the practice of it idiots.

At the bottom of his post it says: Last edited by cjd; Today at 10:32. Reason: Changed one word as I mustn't let truth get in the way.

His sarcastic post was based on the premise that Ramadan is unhealthy. But, the truth of the matter is the scientific literature does not seem to suggest that it is unhealthy, overall. There may be some specific instances where it is unhealthy, and certain subsets of patients should avoid it. There are some co-founding factors as well. But the overall picture is that is does not harm health, and indeed there may be some health benefits to it.

This is true for many other practices of Islam as well. Alcohol - clearly unhealthy. Pork - far more unhealthy than most other meats.

I too object to people posting things as facts or truths when they do not actually know that to be the case. A little education goes a long way.

Of course there is. Search for 'Ramadan meta-analysis' or similar on Google or PubMed and you will get lots of results. Meta-analysis papers basically combine lots of different research papers.[/url]

How very selective in your searching. Search a bit harder or with more of an open mind.

It's true yes, that if you observe Ramadan in a very careful manner it can provide health benefits. This is only because of the reduced intake of calories, not fluids.

What you fail to grasp is that the massive majority of muslims are not careful, they wait and then binge which i'm afraid IS very unhealthy. This is not their fault as it is only natural if the body is used to a certain calorie intake per day. When you're dieting and you get 'that feeling' you make a conscious effort to resist because your aim is to lose weight. That is not the intent of Muslims observing Ramadan, so you will see massive feasts in the evenings and binge eating. This leads to various illnesses.

You also fail to mention the detriments that are not aligned with health i.e.. dehydration, reduced cognition, concentration, increased irritability and drowsiness, migraines, exhaustion, increased toxicity in medication, gastric acidity/heartburn, sleep disorders, nausea and tachycardia.

You may not be damaging your child's health, but you are definitely putting their education at risk if observed during exams as others have used as examples. Others have also stated that crime rates increase and accidents on the road increase dramatically and undeniably.

I have absolutely no problem with Ramadan btw, it just riles me when people quote a couple of articles and say here look, Ramadan has health benefits! So does dieting, which can also be done very unhealthily and impact on cognitive development.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes i know he did , and there lies the problem,his first loyalty , like most of pakistani descent that ive known , is to Pakistan, now that his pro career is pretty much over and proclaiming his pride in being british isnt an earner , he is reverting to type.
Just like this lot [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION], in MY hometown , when this happens in Worthing lets see how you like it.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
How very selective in your searching. Search a bit harder or with more of an open mind.

It's true yes, that if you observe Ramadan in a very careful manner it can provide health benefits. This is only because of the reduced intake of calories, not fluids.

What you fail to grasp is that the massive majority of muslims are not careful, they wait and then binge which i'm afraid IS very unhealthy. This is not their fault as it is only natural if the body is used to a certain calorie intake per day. When you're dieting and you get 'that feeling' you make a conscious effort to resist because your aim is to lose weight. That is not the intent of Muslims observing Ramadan, so you will see massive feasts in the evenings and binge eating. This leads to various illnesses.

You also fail to mention the detriments that are not aligned with health i.e.. dehydration, reduced cognition, concentration, increased irritability and drowsiness, migraines, exhaustion, increased toxicity in medication, gastric acidity/heartburn, sleep disorders, nausea and tachycardia.

You may not be damaging your child's health, but you are definitely putting their education at risk if observed during exams as others have used as examples. Others have also stated that crime rates increase and accidents on the road increase dramatically and undeniably.

I have absolutely no problem with Ramadan btw, it just riles me when people quote a couple of articles and say here look, Ramadan has health benefits! So does dieting, which can also be done very unhealthily and impact on cognitive development.

The research papers I posted make no discrimination as to whether those carrying out he practice are careful or not. They simply look at the overall effect. The general picture is that there are not usually negative health consequences as a result, and that health benefits may arise. The meta-analysis papers are clear and there for everyone to see and read up on themselves. There are health benefits of the act of fasting itself, irrespective of whether you simply replace those lost calories later on.

The point of meta-analysis papers is they are not selective. They combine many different research papers.

The post I responded to was specifically in relation to health. Of course there are many other things to take into consideration. Many of the detriments you list are in fact health related.

One of the biggest problems will be cognition and concentration because your brain only uses glucose for metabolism and at a push ketone bodies (unlike the rest of your body). So if you are running low on blood glucose, your brain will suffer short-term.

I wholeheartedly agree that exemptions should be made during exam periods.

It is very easy to write post with lots of claims based on hearsay and no actual evidence. That's what you've just done.

Overall, I think you missed the point of my posts - countering the claim that Ramadan is inherently unhealthy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here